when mileage gets high - should one sell?

AudiSport

Reaction score
My A4 has full audi service history, ALL the right toys and bar a thermostat has never gone wrong..

However, the mileage is now approaching 88k and although I think she has many more trouble free miles in her - the value drops off massively after the clock turns 100k.. So should I sell it soon and maximize my return to put towards another car with less miles, or, enjoy the trouble free running of a car I very much like for another couple of years?

However, in 2-years from now the car will have approx 110k miles on the clock and only be worth maybe 3k. I know all cars depreciate - but the biggest hit is usually taken by the owner who carries the car over 100k..

Or, should I just stop worrying and keep driving a good, reliable, car?

Stop worrying. If you like the car and it's been reliable then keep it. In this market everything is worth jack at the mo.......

However, in 2-years from now the car will have approx 110k miles on the clock and only be worth maybe 3k. I know all cars depreciate - but the biggest hit is usually taken by the owner who carries the car over 100k..

That's simply not true. The biggest hit is taken by the person who bought it new in the first place.

The depreciation you're seeing has probably leveled off into a steady decline unlike the immediate 10% (or more) drop that you see when you drive a new car off the forecourt.

Properly maintained, there's no reason why your car won't see 200k+ with no major issues. It's just whether or not you're happy to have an older car than some of your neighbours!

Absolutely, took the words out of my mouth.
I'd rather buy a car with 100k on it than 79k with big 80k service looming.
this urban myth about 100k is a throwback to the 70's when cars only went up to 99,999. Slightly different these days......

Yeah Keep it, dont fix it if it aint broke!! You'll get rid and end up buying something that will give you ballache.
There is nothing wrong with your motor.
Mine is On 112k (88k on the 2nd engine) and it doesnt bother me in the slightest!

thanks for the posts lads!

I've been doing a few little mods here and there like colour coding the bumpers and adding some s-line bits - and was thinking about a remap and some bigger alloys.. But thought I had better decide if I'm going to keep the car before I blow more money!

I bought the car for £5600 last year. The guy before more paid £24,000 for it from Audi.. It was an x-demo hence some nice extras like Boss and leather.. And, as you say, he took the biggest hit!

Our B5 is on 173k and still going just fine.

There ARE things that can require attention on a higher mileage car, such as the front suspension arms, turbo, oil pump etc but i would imagine if you look at the total cost of ownership, selling your current car (at a loss) and buying another with lower miles (after adding money to what you got from your current car), added to the fact that things could just as easily fail on the new car, it probably makes more financial sense to keep your existing car, and make any repairs that may be needed as you go along. Especially if you have and want to continue putting money into modding it.

Well, I've decided to sell the car. I think I was just trying to find reasons why I should do so - however the reality is I just fancy a change! I'm sure you will all have something to say about this, but I fancy a BMW 330ci..

As stated above the only problem I ever had was the Thermostat broke. The car has full Audi main dealer history from new, four recent new tyres and I have just had the Cam-belt and Water pump changed.

The car is an ex Audi demonstrator so has loads of extras like Full Black Leather, Heated Seats, BOSE sound system, Front loader Multi-CD changer, On-board computer, Fish scale Ali dash inserts, Arm rest etc etc..

I've added a few S-line extras however, the project will have to be completed by someone else..

CLASSIFIEDS LINK:
http://audi-sport.net/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=2791

01.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

07.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

Nice car, I am not looking to buy but ask purely out of interest, how much do you want for it?

Yeah I did pay £5600 for the car last year, however I have since spent;

Approx figures:
Door blades £150
Colour coding £150
17'' Alloys £220
New tyres £250
Cam-belt and Water pump £200

So nearly £1000 and that doesn't even include the Thermostat which I consider maintenance rather than improvements. I'm sure all of the above maybe things most B6 A4 owners will be looking to do bar a change of taste for things like alloys etc. However, you are right - the market has changed.. And the time of year is against me! I'm in no rush though.

Yeah I did pay £5600 for the car last year, however I have since spent;

Approx figures:
Door blades £150
Colour coding £150
17'' Alloys £220
New tyres £250
Cam-belt and Water pump £200

So nearly £1000 and that doesn't even include the Thermostat which I consider maintenance rather than improvements. I'm sure all of the above maybe things most B6 A4 owners will be looking to do bar a change of taste for things like alloys etc. However, you are right - the market has changed.. And the time of year is against me! I'm in no rush though.

Most of these items, whilst very nice to have, won't necessarily add anything to the market value of the car. Best they'll do is make it more saleable at the market value.

Most of these items, whilst very nice to have, won't necessarily add anything to the market value of the car. Best they'll do is make it more saleable at the market value.

In other words - more desirable = more perceived value.

Does a black car have a greater (on paper) market value then a yellow car? No, but it will sell for more because it has a great target audience. So, more perceived value. Basic rule of supply upon demand.

As my car was the only one for sale within it's price bracket with leather seats, colourcoded bumpers and S-line extras there was a greater demand for it. Needless to say it sold for the full asking price to the first person who viewed the car.

That was a nice car it must hurt to see it go :blownose:

may i ask was it a Audi-sport forum member who bought your car or did you also have it advised privately?

Rich

Does a yellow car have a greater (on paper) market value then a black car? No, but it will sell for more because it has a greater tarket audience. So, more perceived value. Basic rule of supply upon demand.

Have I read that correctly?

Would a yellow car really sell for more than a black one?

Me two, it was posted twice! :lmfao:

I'd still buy Black before Yellow. Tar spots are easier to hide ;O)

That was a nice car it must hurt to see it go :blownose:

may i ask was it a Audi-sport forum member who bought your car or did you also have it advised privately?

Rich

The chap saw the ad in Autotrader and as far as I know isn't a member. It really was a real shame to see it go - I really enjoyed driving it and it looked fantastic. However, I just fancied a complete change. I was thinking about buying a 330 coupe but couldn't bring myself to buy anything other than an audi! So, what with our wedding in august I thought 'I have the rest of my life to drive round in a four door saloon' and I just fancied something a bit smaller, nippier and completely impractical.. So I bought this for £100 less than I sold the A4 for! 72k miles, full service history and it came serviced/taxed from a garage with a warranty! Yeah yeah I know it's a girls car - but I know myself and the mrs will have a good laugh in it this summer! ****** quick too - and it will have 280bhp soon!

Photo0115.jpg

Photo0111.jpg