When should the oil pump be changed on an Audi A4 170?

Baz170

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I currently own a 2006 registered Audi A4 170 2.0 TDI.
Mileage - 115k with FSH main dealers

Having read several different threads about oil pump failures and the expense involved I couldn't really find the answer I was looking for.

When should the oil pump be changed? I'm thinking more on the preventative side of things (such as an EGR clean/gearbox oil change) - could this also be added in as just general maintenance of the car?

Once it has been changed, surely this reduces the risk of it failing and fu**ing up the engine?

Car is booked in with Audi tomorrow for the 'Free car health check' they offer. Hoping they can offer some help too.

Thanks in advance. :icon thumright:

They will offer little or no help I would imagine, the only part audi offer is a upgraded oil pump at £1200 plus labour which could be the same amount. You could get just the hex shaft replaced but that will cost lots to do at audi.

As stevegrass777 has said Audi will only replace the whole thing and unless you are particularly lucky don't rely on getting and financial assistance form them.

The only way of sorting it is to either remove the whole balancer unit and get a 1.9 tdi chain driven system installed (at the potential cost of vibration depending on what forum you read) or have the balancer shaft and hex drive replaced on your existing unit with uprated / re-manufactured items from the likes of KMB / Ring Engineering / Power Engineering etc. A good independent garage should be able to do this and much cheaper than main dealer. Being a 'common problem' they should know about it.

Upgrade to longer 100 mm hex key and remanf balancer shaft .

The balancer shaft end will have a 10 X harder chrome vanadium insert that is both deeper (more surface area in contact) and has a proper machined hex keyway.

Oem has just a bore with tiny machined grooves that the very tips of the hex key are in contact with :dejection:

The actual oil pump end does get a hex keyway.

Thanks for the input.

I think the re-manufactured oil pump balance shaft and the 100mm hex key is next on the list.

KMB have some decent prices. Can anyone vouch for them?

I'd defo get your balance shaft upgraded and replace the hex shaft for the newer solid type - don't get too hung up on the longer 100mm key as the contact area depends on the length of the key ways (all covered in the main thread/sticky above).

As stevegrass777 has said Audi will only replace the whole thing and unless you are particularly lucky don't rely on getting and financial assistance form them.

The only way of sorting it is to either remove the whole balancer unit and get a 1.9 tdi chain driven system installed (at the potential cost of vibration depending on what forum you read) or have the balancer shaft and hex drive replaced on your existing unit with uprated / re-manufactured items from the likes of KMB / Ring Engineering / Power Engineering etc. A good independent garage should be able to do this and much cheaper than main dealer. Being a 'common problem' they should know about it.
I did a 1.9 oil pump con conversion on a Bkp vw passat b6 and it was smooth after, I couldn't tell. I have since sold it but it ran good. I have also shown someone else how to do it and he said his was fine.