Reaction score
Anyone else trading in their A4?

Attachments

• 2020_bmw_2-series-gran-coupe_sedan_m235i-xdrive_rbdg_oem_2_815.jpg
    2020_bmw_2-series-gran-coupe_sedan_m235i-xdrive_rbdg_oem_2_815.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 170
Reactions: NevMan
Anyone else trading in their A4?
I looked at the 2 grand coupe when I got my A4 .... not the greatest offering from BMW in all honesty

But we are looking at another car to replace the Wife's B6 S4 cab

No idea what but going to have a poke around some M4 cabs

Don't want an A5 cab

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Test driving one on the 12th, reserving judgement until I have tried it. Can't be any worse than the S3 saloon as that's taken a monumental step backwards in the interior...

Humm
Not sat in a new S3 but I did the Grand coupe and then again when I had to make a descion and it wasn't for me.

But everyone is different .... it felt crampt to me

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

You tyre kicking again cake ?
It was Mercedes last time I believe.
Have fun.

Reactions: cuke2u
Thanks, yes after having shielded for over a year now I need to get out and do something, so my therapy is another vehicle. If I had a sensible hat on then I would probably go for a Seat Ateca(puke) with the same engine as my A4. But I haven't so in looking at different vehicles the M235i gran coupe can be had for around £30k for a September model.
The Mercedes order I ended up cancelling as it only would have arrived on these shores very recently...

Big fan of the Volvo V60, it's just the interior that is letting it down for me .. the tech is pretty lackluster. Gorgeous car though.

Big fan of the Volvo V60, it's just the interior that is letting it down for me .. the tech is pretty lackluster. Gorgeous car though.
112mph limiters on all new Volvo's now afaik.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Drove the M135i 4 months ago, was nice, just very unmemorable, interior was it's highlight, gearbox wasn't the best, but the main thing which turned me off hugely was its zero tuning potential, that B48's turbo is pretty much at its limit stock, makes the S3 and R much more appealing to me at least! Although in the end I got my S4 back thank god!

I haven't driven one yet, but if I do end up purchasing I'll just throw my tuning box onto it. Oh wait I meant a few wires and a couple of resistors ;-)
The suspension is, according to what I have read, tuned differently between the series 1 and the series 2 gran coupe, so the two cars might have different handling characteristics. I have looked at S4's but if I was too purchase one that was a few months old it would have the devil's engine and be far too expensive. Plus I have this philosophy of never owning the same car twice.

Last edited:
I haven't driven one yet, but if I do end up purchasing I'll just throw my tuning box onto it. Oh wait I meant a few wires and a couple of resistors ;-)
Pretty accurate description of a DTUK box to be fair!

I wasn't wishing to start yet another boring debate about tuning boxes where inaccuracies are made. My remark was tongue in cheek but you bit anyway :)

I wasn't wishing to start yet another boring debate about tuning boxes where inaccuracies are made. My remark was tongue in cheek but you bit anyway :)
So was mine knowing full well your quite the advocate of DTUK....oh, and Jb4 or nothing....

Deals not done yet,had an online quote from another BMW dealer of £14,500 though...

Test drove the beemer series 2 grand coupe m235i this morning, liked it enough to order a new one in blue to arrive in June. Certainly there is a 'snugness' inside, after all it is a smaller car, but at least I felt like I was sitting in the car, as apposed to the feeling of always sitting perched on the seats of the A4 due to their hardness, however I immediately felt comfortable in the car. Road noise is slightly increased, possibly due to 19" wheels and the larger wing mirrors meant they had some 'flutter' at higher speeds but at legal limits it wasn't much more than the A4 is and nothing that prevents any normal conversations with the passenger taking place. Ride was firm but not so that larger potholes were any worse than the A4 deals with them. Very quick though, and deceptively so. Happy with the deal I got, discount was as good as any broker and the service plan came out at under £20 a month. Have ordered the snapper blue colour, tech and pro packs with the drivers assist so the only reduction in spec from the the Audi is the lack of leather, or should I say plastic these days, covered seats. But then the BMW audio system is updated and I have the heads up display also...

Reactions: Keef, NevMan and Mkay315
Test drove the beemer series 2 grand coupe m235i this morning, liked it enough to order a new one in blue to arrive in June. Certainly there is a 'snugness' inside, after all it is a smaller car, but at least I felt like I was sitting in the car, as apposed to the feeling of always sitting perched on the seats of the A4 due to their hardness, however I immediately felt comfortable in the car. Road noise is slightly increased, possibly due to 19" wheels and the larger wing mirrors meant they had some 'flutter' at higher speeds but at legal limits it wasn't much more than the A4 is and nothing that prevents any normal conversations with the passenger taking place. Ride was firm but not so that larger potholes were any worse than the A4 deals with them. Very quick though, and deceptively so. Happy with the deal I got, discount was as good as any broker and the service plan came out at under £20 a month. Have ordered the snapper blue colour, tech and pro packs with the drivers assist so the only reduction in spec from the the Audi is the lack of leather, or should I say plastic these days, covered seats. But then the BMW audio system is updated and I have the heads up display also...
Nice on @cuke2u I do like the grand coupe, think it looks much better than the 1 series. May be worth asking (assuming you haven't already) on whether you can get non RFT as that will always give a better ride. Saying that, my X series had 21" RFT's, but adaptive suspension made it ride so so much better than no adaptive (I drove both). Cracking spec there ;-)

Reactions: Mkay315
Thanks NevMan, nope no adaptive. The one I drove didn't have it, plus I think, from reviews, all it gives is three settings anyway so strictly not adaptive in the true sense of the word. You are correct, the series one looks like an 'ordinary' hatchback whereas the grand coupe stands out as being more individual.
Mid June I am looking at for delivery as they've found an open build slot.

I wouldn’t bother too much about the lack of leather. Many owners of the M135 / M235 much prefer the Alcantara seats anyway, me included.

That's what I thought, it would be nice but not the most important option at £800. How is your Series 1 M135i, have you modded it in anyway yet?

Reactions: Audi Bairn and NevMan
Nice one cuke. I've got the hud on my 340 and its a great piece of tech . Even more so when the sat navs on the go

Reactions: Audi Bairn, NevMan and cuke2u
That's what I thought, it would be nice but not the most important option at £800. How is your Series 1 M135i, have you modded it in anyway yet?
No mods, it’s brand new (and it’s the wife’s car) but perfectly happy with it the way it is though

Reactions: NevMan and cuke2u
Nice one cuke. I've got the hud on my 340 and its a great piece of tech . Even more so when the sat navs on the go
Agreed. My M40i came fully loaded (pre-built car) and I may not have ordered HUD if it had been a factory order, but it’s fantastic

Reactions: Simon1972, NevMan and cuke2u
So the dealership has also given me a tank of fuel and the Autoglym Lifeshine and Metalmate protective treatments for free. Normally I would never take the treatments if I had to pay for them but I'll see what the car looks like at collection and when I give it the first proper wash and then make a decision if I need to have a full new car detail and ceramic coating...

So the dealership has also given me a tank of fuel and the Autoglym Lifeshine and Metalmate protective treatments for free. Normally I would never take the treatments if I had to pay for them but I'll see what the car looks like at collection and when I give it the first proper wash and then make a decision if I need to have a full new car detail and ceramic coating...

Something I am sure you are aware of, is whilst those treatments are free, they are a) only as good as how they are applied b) poor application/prep = unnecessary marring and swirls

Absolutely NevMan, I am not a newcomer to this. If the process has introduced any imperfections to the paintwork then I'll be having a 'discussion'...

What agro are you referring too? If there are any imperfections introduced then they'll be funding the detail which I would have been having done without their treatment anyway. Having been through a 'process' with my current A4 where a dealership introduced swirls and scratches through their own valeting procedures I am comfortable in discussing this with them...

What agro are you referring too? If there are any imperfections introduced then they'll be funding the detail which I would have been having done without their treatment anyway. Having been through a 'process' with my current A4 where a dealership introduced swirls and scratches through their own valeting procedures I am comfortable in discussing this with them...

You answered your question with what I was referring too.

No doubt it might be worth it for you but I just couldn’t be bothered with having to have that discussion. Although, if you’re having it detailed without the free package, it might make it worthwhile.

As an example on why I said agro - On my A4 I had the dealer rectify a scratch and they wet sanded and forgot to polish. They offered to sort it out but they’d have made it even worse - I pushed for my detailer to sort at the dealers expense, but unless they dealt with it first, then they wouldn’t budge. I figured it wasn’t worth any extra of my time to argue so as it was being detailed anyway, I got them to sort.

From this experience, I’ve learnt that when a dealer says they’ll get a scratch or dent sorted, they mean they’ll have a tech look at it, rather than a trained professional in either scratches or dents. Of course, I’m sure some dealers are an exception to my rule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not prepared to have any dealership resolve paintwork issues that they've created and, as I have had previous experiences of this. If this does occur with the application of the lifeshine they will end up funding any paint correction by a detailer of my choice. But please lets not tar every dealership with the same brush..

So after ordering on the 12th April I now have been informed that the M235i is on it's way and due to be delivered to the dealership on the 25th May for collection a few days later. Sooner than I expected but impressed so far with how quickly things have been done.

Reactions: NevMan and KapB
good news @cuke2u They BMW/Mini seem to be on the ball. My father in law ordered his new Countryman in April, and will be here towards end of June. Audi on the other hand (according to some posts on this forum) are taking months and months

Seems that finding an open slot was the key as I am hearing that those who haven't are possibly having delays. I have even heard of vehicles being delivered without the HK audio systems, but I don't know if there are is any truth to this...

Collecting the car next Friday, I'll post up some pics if OK with the mods and then I'll be on my way...

Reactions: Keef and NevMan
Tomorrow's the day, have the registration number now so I have sorted out the insurance swap, for what good having the reg number does. Pleasantly surprised it has given me a rebate of just over £17 from the Audi. Win win...

Reactions: NevMan and KapB
Hope all goes well mate Please post some pics