When the muck just won't move

Pook

Reaction score
Let my car get far too dirty for the first time ever over the Xmas and come to clean it and found it very difficult. Usual method of Citrus pre wash - powerhose - two bucket. But when doing the shampooing with my wool mitt, a lot of the dirt just wouldn't shift with the usual gentle sweeping action (the rear in particular). I don't think it was tar just muck that was welded on. I found giving it a bit of a 'scrub' or glide with the mesh side would remove most of it but this practice I don't really feel comfortable doing and basically didn't do other than a test area. Anyone any good tips for when dirt is that bit more stubborn.

Hey Pook, have you got any protection on the car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bugeye_bob
I find my snowfoam does a great job in prepping the surface of the paint for hand washing. I am amazed at the surface dirt that snowfoam shifts.

As above post, good initial protection on the paintwork will also make future cleaning much easier to do.

Last edited:
I've come across the same issue, almost all the time. It's that thin layer of muck that snowfoam doesn't seem to take off on it's own. So recently, I just added a high concentration of Citrus pre-wash to the snowfoam bottle and this seemed to shift the dirt a lot better, as when it came to the time to use the mitt, it was gliding a lot more easy.

Hey Pook, have you got any protection on the car?

Hey, yea I have gtechniq crystal serum light after a pro detail. Surprised actually considering I have that. It only seems to be on the rear of the car I have trouble. Maybe might try a second helping of the prewash at a slightly higher concentration but I already use 6:1. I'm annoyed cos I'm always on top of the cleaning so it never builds up but I was lax over xmas

I find my snowfoam does a great job in prepping the surface of the paint for hand washing. I am amazed at the surface **** that snowfoam shifts.

As above post, good initial protection on the paintwork will also make future cleaning much easier to do.
I'm tempted to add a snowfoam level to my routine but reluctant as it's messy and it will add even more time than I already spend ha!

Hey, yea I have gtechniq crystal serum light after a pro detail. Surprised actually considering I have that. It only seems to be on the rear of the car I have trouble. Maybe might try a second helping of the prewash at a slightly higher concentration but I already use 6:1. I'm annoyed cos I'm always on top of the cleaning so it never builds up but I was lax over xmas

Same here! My silver wheels are practically black! Think I might have to break out the IronX.

I've come across the same issue, almost all the time. It's that thin layer of muck that snowfoam doesn't seem to take off on it's own. So recently, I just added a high concentration of Citrus pre-wash to the snowfoam bottle and this seemed to shift the dirt a lot better, as when it came to the time to use the mitt, it was gliding a lot more easy.
What ratio do you use?

What ratio do you use?

I was experimenting slightly and I was topping up a snowfoam bottle that already had some citrus pre-wash in it, so don't have an accurate dilution ratio. I think the final ratio may have been around 4:1.

Oh wow, yea that is peculiar....I take its a hatchback? They have a habit of causing the wind to blow up the back causing masses of dirt on the boot.

Yea citrus pre wash has been shown to be more effective than snow foam because you can dial up the dilution. Would be wary of going to high in case it starts degrading the CSL though.

Have you tried giving the boot a second hit with perhaps a slightly higher concentration in a separate spray bottle and then leaving it dwell a bit longer?

Alternatively you could try a different pre wash. I've just run out of VP citrus so ordered 5l of Bilt Hamber auto wash. Through a pump sprayer it's meant to be very effective.

Reactions: DJ_26
Oh wow, yea that is peculiar....I take its a hatchback? They have a habit of causing the wind to blow up the back causing masses of dirt on the boot.

Yea citrus pre wash has been shown to be more effective than snow foam because you can dial up the dilution. Would be wary of going to high in case it starts degrading the CSL though.

Have you tried giving the boot a second hit with perhaps a slightly higher concentration in a separate spray bottle and then leaving it dwell a bit longer?

Alternatively you could try a different pre wash. I've just run out of VP citrus so ordered 5l of Bilt Hamber auto wash. Through a pump sprayer it's meant to be very effective.

Sorry, what's the CSL? I only know some detailing terms lol

Sorry, what's the CSL? I only know some detailing terms lol

Crystal Serum Light (CSL) that he has from Gtechniq :)

Reactions: Pook and DJ_26

It's a saloon, yea it's a bit strange. Will give a second round on the rear next time I think and up the concentration. I use about 6:1 in a pump sprayer. Like I say rest of car is spotless. My detailer really good so might take to him if I think there's an issue.

Reactions: DrEskimo
Seems like the serum isnt working. My car has Zymol Glasur and wife's car has Nanolex, much hardly sticks and always comes off easily.
The Mini with Nanolex has never managed to get dirty, it just doesnt adhere at all.

Really like BH auto foam. Found it shifted dirt just that bit better that VP citrus. Before and after on the GFs Mini. Mixed 10:1 in a spray bottle with warm water.

Before:

After:

Reactions: Keef
I have been mighty impressed with Gtechniq crystal serum and 2 coats of exo. This is 6 months after application with no hand wash other than the wheels:

350dbba6dab2393f2f75d8e9de283daa.jpg

d7206f6d9b201e061cefc594e7fcc56d.jpg

abf0c545215f64bfab21b6351068260d.jpg

dc624225f59c997e5bc0061bbd60c037.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Reactions: SPIKE_, Keef, DrEskimo and 1 other person
Really like BH auto foam. Found it shifted dirt just that bit better that VP citrus. Before and after on the GFs Mini. Mixed 10:1 in a spray bottle with warm water.

Before:

After:
Top effort that. My citrus box is coming to an end so may give that a whirl. I see however that it's for use with a foam lance (which I will have to buy). Question on these: the dilution ratio for BH auto is like a 1:100 ratio. How do you go about doing ratios with a pressure washer and foam bottle? Am I missing something obvious cos you don't control how much comes out your power washer obviously.... is it like 1:100 in the little lance bottle or something

Top effort that. My citrus box is coming to an end so may give that a whirl. I see however that it's for use with a foam lance (which I will have to buy). Question on these: the dilution ratio for BH auto is like a 1:100 ratio. How do you go about doing ratios with a pressure washer and foam bottle? Am I missing something obvious cos you don't control how much comes out your power washer obviously.... is it like 1:100 in the little lance bottle or something

Yea but I read lots of people over on DetailingWorld that use it through a pump sprayer and found it just as effective, if not more.

Ha...funny you ask that question as there is a bit of a raging debate about it over on said forum...even a representative from BH is chiming in....Have a read if you dare :p

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=388548

From what I've read: Mix 40ml in a bottle and you should be fine. Add more if you want to :p

Personally I am a bit bored of snow foaming, and its easier just to mix what I need in a spray bottle. Also like that I can use nice warm water.

I have been mighty impressed with Gtechniq crystal serum and 2 coats of exo. This is 6 months after application with no hand wash other than the wheels:

Should post a warning before posting such pictures...!

Stunning mate :) Although your mirrors don't look like they are facing the right way in one pic?!

Reactions: DeanoC
Should post a warning before posting such pictures...!

Stunning mate :) Although your mirrors don't look like they are facing the right way in one pic?!
Thanks mate, i don't like not waxing it but the stuff is amazing.

The mirrors are meant to do that. It's an unpublished feature on the B8 to drain the mirrors. It stops the runs down the doors.

Reactions: Pook and DrEskimo
Thanks mate, i don't like not waxing it but the stuff is amazing.

The mirrors are meant to do that. It's an unpublished feature on the B8 to drain the mirrors. It stops the runs down the doors.

Woah woah woah! How do you do that?!

Woah woah woah! How do you do that?!
Just twist it. Be brave and don't lock the car so it trys to fold them

It drains behind the glass and the hinge a bit further out than the door. I think it was designed for when they flood rather than cleaning

Reactions: Keef
Just twist it. Be brave and don't lock the car so it trys to fold them

If I snap my mirror off you take full responsibility :p

Cheers man, will try during this weekends clean.

Reactions: DeanoC
Yea but I read lots of people over on DetailingWorld that use it through a pump sprayer and found it just as effective, if not more.

Ha...funny you ask that question as there is a bit of a raging debate about it over on said forum...even a representative from BH is chiming in....Have a read if you dare :p

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=388548

From what I've read: Mix 40ml in a bottle and you should be fine. Add more if you want to :p

Personally I am a bit bored of snow foaming, and its easier just to mix what I need in a spray bottle. Also like that I can use nice warm water.
Oh really, I'd much prefer to use my 1ltr pump sprayer if I could then. Does it not snow up out of a pump then? Does it just go on similar to CPW? I would have thought it was designed to work only when 'snowy'? 1:40 aswell, that's a very small amount of solution when only mixing 1 litre, like only 25ml give or take!

Oh really, I'd much prefer to use my 1ltr pump sprayer if I could then. Does it not snow up out of a pump then? Does it just go on similar to CPW? I would have thought it was designed to work only when 'snowy'? 1:40 aswell, that's a very small amount of solution when only mixing 1 litre, like only 25ml give or take!

Nah doesn't come out foamy from a pump sprayer unless you use something like a Mesto. Yea its odd how it seems to work either as a foam or a 'TFR' like product. Will give it a go as a snow foam as well just to see.

I had it 1:10, but yea I'm going to use about 50ml to see how it compares. I mean at 10% was just 100ml in my 1lt bottle, and I only used half the bottle so its still great value. £2 cheaper than VP Citrus as well :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Bristle Hound
Nah doesn't come out foamy from a pump sprayer unless you use something like a Mesto. Yea its odd how it seems to work either as a foam or a 'TFR' like product. Will give it a go as a snow foam as well just to see.

I had it 1:10, but yea I'm going to use about 50ml to see how it compares. I mean at 10% was just 10ml in my 1lt bottle, and I only used half the bottle so its still great value. £2 cheaper than VP Citrus as well :)
Ok great, thanks for all the info. I assume by 10% in a 1ltr was 100ml not 10ml :)

VP CW I've generally need 2ltrs made up solution to do my whole saloon in winter, so about 250ml total of neat solution. Quite a lot really I guess.

Ok great, thanks for all the info. I assume by 10% in a 1ltr was 100ml not 10ml :)

VP CW I've generally need 2ltrs made up solution to do my whole saloon in winter, so about 250ml total of neat solution. Quite a lot really I guess.

Ha yes...quite right! 100ml not 10ml :p

Reactions: Pook
I like VP citrus too BH, but have been very impressed with BH auto-foam. Can send you a sample if you fancy trying it?
@scotty76 - Thanks for the kind offer my friend, but I have 5litres of that to use at some time lol

Reactions: Keef and DrEskimo
@Pook - I'm using around 100ml of VP CPW with a litre of water in the winter. I use around 3 litres to do my S4 in the winter, 2 in the summer with around 100ml of VP CPW with 1.25-1.5l of water
Works well for me over the year
But as we all know, Detailing is VERY subjective :laugh:

@Pook - I'm using around 100ml of VP CPW with a litre of water in the winter. I use around 3 litres to do my S4 in the winter, 2 in the summer with around 100ml of VP CPW with 1.25-1.5l of water
Works well for me over the year
But as we all know, Detailing is VERY subjective :laugh:
Thanks BH, pretty much what I do give or take. Think I'll give the BHAF a go as I've never tried it then settle on a choice. I like a good experiment :) but I will be using a pump spray cos can't be bothered with all that foam and lance malarkey.

Reactions: Bristle Hound
@scotty76 i can't insert the quote using AS on my phone, but read the above comments from @DeanoC regarding the mirrors!
I recall you trying alsorts to avoid dripping mirrors post wash? I actually did this to my mirror the other morning by accident whilst defrosting the car!

Reactions: scotty76
@scotty76 i can't insert the quote using AS on my phone, but read the above comments from @DeanoC regarding the mirrors!
I recall you trying alsorts to avoid dripping mirrors post wash? I actually did this to my mirror the other morning by accident whilst defrosting the car!
Thanks @Keef and @DeanoC. I've resorted to giving my car ears but will try the folding backwards mirrors.

My S4 thread

Last edited:
Just gave the BH Autofoam a blast yesterday and I have to say VERY impressed! I used it 1:20 in a pump sprayer and the car was almost glistening after I powerwashed it off. My car was filthy, maybe not as bad as the above when my VPCPW wouldn't shift it very well, but on first glance I think the autofoam is better. Plus I only need to use 50ml for my litre pump spray as opposed to 125ml for the CPW.