Where can I get ECU + TCU software version rollback? (emissions fix)

Tommmygunnn

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Can anyone recommend or know of a business or individual who can roll-back the ECU & TCU software versions for my A6 C7 BITDI? Car was in at Audi a few months ago and whilst their they did the emissions recall which included ECU & TCU software updates. Instantly after the recall was performed the car clearly doesn't respond or perform as great as it did before. Feels more sluggish, reduced performance, gear changes are sporadic, paddle shifting is stricter, fuel consumption is worse, car seems to randomly forget it has 8 gears on motorway cruises etc etc.

I know it can be reverted with the correct equipment, and I'm more than happy to travel a fair bit (I'm in the north west) to get the work done if needed, its just finding someone to do it where I'm struggling.

Thanks!

For anyone needing this in the future, I got this emission fix rollback done yesterday by a chap called VAG Tune found through social media.

Car is instantly back to performing how it was from the factory. None of this post emissions scandal bodge job software update crap they've been rolling out under the disguise of "just an adblue recall". Yes, they do some kind of adblue sensor change in the process, but fail to mention or acknowledge any ecu+tcu updates which cause the issues.

- Gear changes back to normal.
- Quicker and smoother from standstill.
- Lost performance has returned.
- Throttle response improved.
- Overall not as sluggish/lazy.
- Smoother gear changes across the range.
- Sits in 8th gear on motorway trips correctly, no longer keeps dropping to 7th for no reason.
- Fuel efficiency improved (did 6 hour round trip yesterday).

Cost £99 to rollback both the ecu+tcu, or £65 individually, and took less than an hour.

I'm now a happy chap again! The past few months since the recall I've not enjoyed the car very much to be honest.

Reactions: Marcustandy
Would this not flag your car with td1 next time you go back to dealers?
Could also void warranty if you still have any.

I'm not sure but I wont be going the the dealers for anything except major services with this car going forwards. Car is out of warranty now. anyway. I thought TD1 was flagged from more having ecu remaps etc. This is just putting the software versions it was on previously. At least now in Audis records it shows as having the recall performed so that box is ticked in their eyes. I guess they may notice the software versions if they need to look into anything like that for further diagnostics but if it ever goes to the dealer I'll just tell them I don't want any software updates performing or resetting.

Reactions: lit.91
Which ECU and TCU software numbers did you switch from and to?

Which ECU and TCU software numbers did you switch from and to?
Hi I believe engine software was 0008 then rolled back to 0004. The gearbox was 1015 and rolled back but unsure of the number from my head. I can pop into he car alter and check if needed. Ps I'm sure I bought the Soundbooster from you via ebay going by your username

Reactions: lit.91
Hi I believe engine software was 0008 then rolled back to 0004. The gearbox was 1015 and rolled back but unsure of the number from my head. I can pop into he car alter and check if needed. Ps I'm sure I bought the Soundbooster from you via ebay going by your username
Ah cool, how's it going, enjoying it still?

I'm on 0008 and 1015 currently, would be great if you could check what you're on now!

I had this in my a5 2.0 tfsi, the dealer told me he had "done the two eu updates" for me and after that the car felt like it had 130hp not 190hp. So I sold it.
Apparently you can specify you don't want the updates, whether or not they will ignore you or not seems to depend on how "woke" (ie green biased) your guy is.

Reactions: oldoiler
Hi Tom, I had my ecu rolled back to 0004 but left the gearbox as I’d read it didn’t need it.

Now my SQ5 Plus is dropping down to 7th on the motorway and occasionally the gear changes go all over the place. It didn’t do this until I rolled back. I’m guessing it’s because I’m on 1015 still. Would you mind telling me what the tcu is at now? I’ll have to get the gearbox done too.
Thanks, Lippo

Hi Tom, I had my ecu rolled back to 0004 but left the gearbox as I’d read it didn’t need it.

Now my SQ5 Plus is dropping down to 7th on the motorway and occasionally the gear changes go all over the place. It didn’t do this until I rolled back. I’m guessing it’s because I’m on 1015 still. Would you mind telling me what the tcu is at now? I’ll have to get the gearbox done too.
Thanks, Lippo
Hi Lippo, I can check the version for you this afternoon if still needed.

Hi Tom, if you wouldn't mind - that would be great. I've narrowed it down to 1005 or 1006 but you've had the same issues as me so I'm pretty certain your resolution will also fix mine

Hi Tom, if you wouldn't mind - that would be great. I've narrowed it down to 1005 or 1006 but you've had the same issues as me so I'm pretty certain your resolution will also fix mine
Hi Lippo,

Just checked and my ECU is now 0004 (was 0008 after audi update) and TCU is now 1009.

It says in the app there is a tcu update to 1015 which is the one it was rolled back from after audi did the update.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: lippo
Cheers pal, much appreciated. Looks like 1009 is good too. What app are you using?

Reactions: Tommmygunnn

Thanks, Lippo
I should correct myself, I rolled back to 0002, not 0004. I'm on 1006 TCU so avoid that combo unless you want to risk erratic gear changes.

I'm looking to go to 0004 and/or 1005 or 1009. Not really 100%, waiting to see what VAG Tune come back with, they're a bit slow at replying.

I think I should finish off my part in this thread, in case anyone looks in the future.

My late 2016 Audi Sq5 Plus did not like any pre emmisions fix ECU software, so I've put it back to standard 0008. I had tried 0002, 0004 & 0005. The car drives perfectly now on 0008 (which it left the factory with) - I didn't notice any difference with the earlier ECU firmware anyway.

My car only had one TCU software available - 1006. I hope this info helps some people if they're considering doing the same with a 2016+ BiTDi.