Which 2.0 tdi engine?

Stratf01

Reaction score
Looking to change my a6 1.9 tdi (130) to an a4 that is newer and preferably quattro. I live in a rural area on top of a hill lol.
I'd like at least the same economy as my a6 if not better. (38mpg)
A tall order I guess but I think I've settled for either the 2.0 170 tdi or the newer 177 bhp version.

On my budget I can get a fairly low milege 170 engine at around (55k ) or the newer engine with 90k or so.

Any advice on which one might be be better option would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks.

No problem getting same mileage from an A4 with quattro, as your far heavier A6 front wheeler.

Years I've been looking at are 2008-10 for the 170 version and 2011 for the 177 version.

I just don't know much about theses engines. Seems logical to go for newer more economical one but not sure if they are any more reliable and if they can handle a good mileage on clock as I average around 20k.
Thanks again.

Get the 177bhp tdi version. Have had two of them and great all rounder and not bad on fuel with a map.

Mate had the 170bhp tdi and said he would’ve been better with a 3.0tdi as fuel consumption is awful.

Reactions: Stratf01
What year is your a6
A4's will common rail so I don't think it will straight forward. Your 1.9 will be PD

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Shame to get rid of the legendary 1.9 PD.

Avoid the earlier years to prevent joining the 77mm Club .

Is the 177 affected by the emissions recall ? , if so you don't want one with 'the fix' applianced .

In general it won't be as reliable as the 1.9 PD because of the usual egr and dpf issues .

I went from my 1.9 B6 SLine avant to the A5 Sportback BE 177.

One thing you will notice with the CR engines is that its not aggressive like the PD engine, and can be annoying at times.

PD engines boost was pretty much instantly there and the thing I miss the most is the power delivery whilst going from 1st to 2nd like it was constantly pushing you.

Saying all this what the PD lacked was the power on the mid to high end especially whilst on the motorway where you need it the most.

If the PD engine was on the quiet side I would have kept my B6 all day long because then it would tick all boxes and even the maintenance is so cheap you couldn’t ask for more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shame to get rid of the legendary 1.9 PD.

Avoid the earlier years to prevent joining the 77mm Club .

Is the 177 affected by the emissions recall ? , if so you don't want one with 'the fix' applianced .

In general it won't be as reliable as the 1.9 PD because of the usual egr and dpf issues .

Ok, I’m curious, having just bought a ‘15 A4 tdi quattro which has been ‘fixed’, why don’t I want it? Seems to drive well to me, and my father has a tdi golf that was also ‘fixed’ and he didn’t find it notably different afterwards.

What did the fix consist of?

Something that didn't require fixing .

Hugely in the media are resulting drivability and reliability issues .

If it's driving OK then good but it will inevitably have more egr operation and dpf regens .

Reactions: JRock247
After the initial kerfuffle it doesn’t seem to be too prominent. The 170 engine doesn’t seem to have many bad reports although other engines do seem to have acquired hesitation and, as you say, more frequent dpf regens. I agree, something that didn’t need fixing.

I’m gonna keep the fingers crossed, only 1 tank of fuel into new car ownership. Coming from an e46 bmw M3 which, if you believed the Internet, should have had Vanos failure, head gasket failure and the rear subframe falling out of it (none of which happened); I’ve learned to take what I read online with a pinch of salt. Those without issues generally don’t post to say how great life is. And large numbers of owners wouldn’t even bother posting online at all.

Reactions: Charlie23
Yep, allegedly all of them did. Mostly to do with the location of the spot welds and where the rear axle carrier panel bolted to the body. Corrosion would start and the steel would crack. Plates can be welded and later cars are less susceptible than the early ones, but people say they all fail eventually.

Oh and the SMG gearbox pump fails too leaving a £2.5k bill for a new one.

But of course none of these things happened. Loved that car, but now for something more sensible. Just hoping I haven’t acquired even more problems!! :)

Sorry OP. Not meaning to hijack the thread - but on topic, I’m loving my 177 quattro (at the moment! Haha!)

Strangely enough I have started looking at 3.0 quattro now for same reason. Seems crazy to me! I thought the 2.0 tdi options would be far more economical. Does the 3.0 suffer from same egr and dpf issues? Thanks all for your feeback.

Reactions: Gazwould
I have just purchased a 2010 A4 Avant 2.0 tdi 170. Nice car but I agree around town the MPG isn't the best for a 2.0 derv compared to my Leon FR and Golf GTD but on the Motorway/long runs its great.

Does take abit of right foot down to get it going which is abit annoying.

I went from my 1.9 B6 SLine avant to the A5 Sportback BE 177.

One thing you will notice with the CR engines is that its not aggressive like the PD engine, and can be annoying at times.

PD engines boost was pretty much instantly there and the thing I miss the most is the power delivery whilst going from 1st to 2nd like it was constantly pushing you.

Saying all this what the PD lacked was the power on the mid to high end especially whilst on the motorway where you need it the most.

If the PD engine was on the quiet side I would have kept my B6 all day long because then it would tick all boxes and even the maintenance is so cheap you couldn’t ask for more.

I had exactly the same experience,,, low down the CR is disappointing but at higher speeds on the motorway it's much better , which suits me