Which auto box

Pork

Reaction score
Is it possible to tell which auto box (s-tronic or multitragic) an A4 has other than going by the build sticker?
I've been looking for an s-tropic avant for months but nothing is coming up for what I want to pay

I know you could only have s-tronic on a Quattro but does that mean that if it is a Quattro auto, it will definitely be an s-tronic?

Obvs we're talking 2.0 ltr 177/190 here.

Thanks

My 3.0tdi quattro is auto tiptronic so uses a torque conveter, the multitronic on the 2.7 and not sure on the 2.0s but its easy to tell if have a multi due to staying at constant revs and no distinct gear changes

Perfect, thanks.

Still not too sure about the auto/manual thing - all this talk about the quirks of the S-Tronic on here is making me doubt if it's for me - I do spend quite a lot of time behind the wheel.....

If you do a lot of miles I'd definitely get an S Tronic. So much nicer than all the clutch work in traffic. The newer ones seem more reliable than the old ones. And remember forums can exaggerate a problem as people come here for help. If you search you'll see this has been discussed a lot. Only Audi know how reliable the box really is.

I was a 'must be a manual' person until I got my S5. The s-tronic box is fantastic. As @scotty76 noted there are reports of problems with s-tronic prior to 2012, although mainly those built in 2009 and 2010. If you get a car of that age consider getting an extended warranty.

Thanks guys, I know what you mean - no-one comes on a forum and posts "my car is great and works fine"!
I think I need to try and get one for a day or two, hopefully now it's available on fwd cars the local dealer might have one for me to use the next time mine's in for servicing.

I've been pretty lucky (touch wood) and any issues I've had on the last two A4's have been sorted but I bought from and use the main dealer so that helps. (Well, helps their profits)