Which Brake Pads & Discs?

Djwoody

Reaction score
Which Brake Pads and Discs would you recommend for the 3.0 TDI?
Ideally I'd like Drilled and/or Grooved Discs and also some pads which don't give off too much dust.

My OEM Pads are so dusty, have to clean the wheels every couple of days!

Chris

Drilled can crack hole to hole.

Grooved are noisy and slice at the pad creating more dust.

The lowest dust pad - EBC Redstuff.

Reactions: 5CYL
Drilled can crack hole to hole.

Grooved are noisy and slice at the pad creating more dust.

The lowest dust pad - EBC Redstuff.

So you would recommend just to go for standard discs? Any particular makes that stand out?

I've had Pagid discs and Redstuff all round for a year.

Was just looking at the Pagid discs on EuroCarParts and they are very reasonable.
They have a few different sizes for the 3.0 TDI.
Any idea how I can find out my size (without taking the discs off)?

Give TPS in Stockton a ring for a quote for the OEM ones and they will also tell you the correct size for your car.

Hi mate I was looking for the same thing but I've got mtec grooved and dimpled, they were the same price as oem plus look better and stop better IMHO.

Usually the larger size corresponds to the larger wheel option. I have 19" wheels as standard so my front discs are bigger

Oh, no, no, no - larger wheel diameters allow the use of larger discs, but don't assume a car coming with larger wheel option has larger brakes!
I think that I mentioned asking your local Audi dealer for a print-out of all the options fitted to your car, that will list brake option fitted etc, other way as said above is to approach your local TPS or dealer who give you this info verbally.

Reactions: 5CYL
Hi mate I was looking for the same thing but I've got mtec grooved and dimpled, they were the same price as oem plus look better and stop better IMHO.

I have used ATE Power discs in the past, my reason being that VAG messed up with earlier cars and you could end up with brakes "washing out" in cold salty wet conditions - not a nice feeling for that first few seconds/feet! Fitting sensibly grooved discs stopped that, also sensibly grooved discs will keep pads de-glazed and I did not notice excessive pad wear - glazed pads almost refuse to wear - or give good braking, so I'd never completely dismiss fitting sensibly grooved discs, they will be slightly noisy, but nothing that you can't live with - winter tyres are also a bit noisy under heavy braking but that does not stop me using them.

Oh, no, no, no - larger wheel diameters allow the use of larger discs, but don't assume a car coming with larger wheel option has larger brakes!
I think that I mentioned asking your local Audi dealer for a print-out of all the options fitted to your car, that will list brake option fitted etc, other way as said above is to approach your local TPS or dealer who give you this info verbally.

I was only basing my post on my previous experiences.

I was only basing my post on my previous experiences.

One thing we should all consider, "am I guessing and offering advice as fact" - in these situations, a posting can be taken as true with someone with not much car knowledge, now that can cost, at least, some wasted money, we need to trust each other, that's all.

CAR DATA is the print out that you need to ask your Audi dealer's parts department for, just supply them with the reg number, or go armed with the VIN just in case the reg number has been changed in the past.

One thing we should all consider, "am I guessing and offering advice as fact" - in these situations, a posting can be taken as true with someone with not much car knowledge, now that can cost, at least, some wasted money, we need to trust each other, that's all.

What you being funny for? Asking what size wheel does correspond to some disc applications. Fact.

What you being funny for? Asking what size wheel does correspond to some disc applications. Fact.

I think that you are annoyed about being questioned - would you have preferred that I had kept quiet and a member had wasted some time and money? (Calm down)

Trust me, once you have seen that sort of advice type of thing in the introduction to a forum, you should really stop and think if it applies to you! I saw that once, maybe on a VW forum, and I still remember it, that forum was very "light" on bad advise being freely offered, so maybe it worked. Could be that Audi-sport.net should be making that sort of thing a bit clearer, or maybe I've missed reading it!

Some other forums have you finding sorts of advice like "slobber lots copper ease over everything" to stop brake squeal - ouch.

I think that it is down to quietly understanding the full range of knowledge that all members have as well.

Right, I've looked in my manual for the VIN sticker at the front with all my specs.
1LA is the front Discs and 1KW the rear. :)

Right, I've looked in my manual for the VIN sticker at the front with all my specs.
1LA is the front Discs and 1KW the rear. :)

If you do change your mind and want to go OEM then don't forget to ring TPS as they will do the Audi ones at a good discount.

I have just replaced my brakes for S5 callipers, EBC red stuff pads and black diamond discs, the callipers I like the red stuff pads are great as they stop well and don't give off much dust, the grooved discs are a bit noisy, but I actually quite like it lol but the red stuff pads are a great buy for sure.

Reactions: desertstorm
Could always just upgrade to these which I have for sale ;)

Don't think I'd be able to afford those beauties mate.
I've gone with standard discs (so I don't get too much noise) and Red Stuff pads all round.

Your car looks lovely in your profile pic.
Have you got any pics of it you can post?

Chris

Most my pics are on Instagram if your not on there I'll post a couple if you want and thanks it's coming along slowly

I upgraded the brakes on my car to the S5 spec. Bought a complete front and rear set of calipers, discs and caliper mounting brackets for £300 off Fleabay.
The front and rear calipers on the 3.0 B8 are the same as the S4 / S5 except the calipers on the S4 /S5 are painted black from the factory.
It's just the caliper mounting brackets that allow for the larger discs. They only fit the large brake dust shields on the B8 so it's a straight swap and the difference is noticeable. Larger brake discs allow better cooling and they aren't even expensive.
The front discs of the set up I bought weren't that good so bought some new ones from car parts for less. Pagid make for £28.45 each.
The rears were just fine so now car sports 330 *22 mm vented rear discs instead of 300 * 12mm solid discs.
Fronts on the S4 /S5 are 345mm * 30 as opposed to the 320mm * 30 on the 3.0 TDI.

Pagid Audi | Car Parts 4 Less UK’s No.1 Car Parts Retailer

I fitted Mintex pads on the front but I think I might get some red stuff pads as the standard pads are quite dusty
Theres some pictures of the brake swap on my build thread linked at the the bottom. The larger S4 / S5 brakes fit under 17 inch wheels as well.

Karl

Reactions: SI-W85
I upgraded the brakes on my car to the S5 spec. Bought a complete front and rear set of calipers, discs and caliper mounting brackets for £300 off Fleabay.
The front and rear calipers on the 3.0 B8 are the same as the S4 / S5 except the calipers on the S4 /S5 are painted black from the factory.
It's just the caliper mounting brackets that allow for the larger discs. They only fit the large brake dust shields on the B8 so it's a straight swap and the difference is noticeable. Larger brake discs allow better cooling and they aren't even expensive.
The front discs of the set up I bought weren't that good so bought some new ones from car parts for less. Pagid make for £28.45 each.
The rears were just fine so now car sports 330 *22 mm vented rear discs instead of 300 * 12mm solid discs.
Fronts on the S4 /S5 are 345mm * 30 as opposed to the 320mm * 30 on the 3.0 TDI.

Pagid Audi | Car Parts 4 Less UK’s No.1 Car Parts Retailer

I fitted Mintex pads on the front but I think I might get some red stuff pads as the standard pads are quite dusty
Theres some pictures of the brake swap on my build thread linked at the the bottom. The larger S4 / S5 brakes fit under 17 inch wheels as well.

Karl

Ah really I only bought front callipers as I thought the rears were the same but maybe I will look in to getting the carriers so I can fit bigger rear discs too.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 162
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 162
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 170
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg