Which Car should I buy?

Just don’t like black. As the saying goes “once you have a black car once, you never have another one!”
I’m on my 2nd black car

when clean they are the best, they look unreal.

when dirty they look terrible.

i have had a couple of silver cars, they look okay all the time and that is the issue you get bored of okay.

i think the pain and maintenance is worth it in the long run.

looks good for 7 years old even if i do say so myself

Reactions: ScottishA4B9
It may, but then again, the car is more of a 'plodder' rather than a super desirable, so the clientele that may be looking for similar might be happy with the beige.

Being honest, imo, that dash is a bit vom dude!
I’ve looked and no other car has the half coloured dash with these seats....I have no idea why this car is like that. I would seriously look at replacing the lower dash or getting to sprayed black.

Red, gold and black? Gangsta :)

Have you looked at these,

s-l500.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALLOY-WHEEL-AVUS-AF18-8X18-5X112-ET35-AUDI-S3-BLACK-POLISHED-244/363175902385?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=225076&meid=b08dcba805d34211979c1d9b761e9177&pid=100675&rk=8&rkt=15&mehot=none&sd=164492296990&itm=363175902385&pmt=0&noa=1&pg=2380057&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci:a54ba76b-251d-11eb-8dd4-daefe74ee053|parentrq:bdf0e3ca1750aa4852f00919fffe6284|iid:1

They are actually very nice, but I am trying to get rid of the silver.
I just dont think silver looks nice on a new car. If it was a classic, thats a different story, but think red and black looks amazing.

If i had a black or silver car, I would deffo be going for something like this, thats for sure.

I’ve looked and no other car has the half coloured dash with these seats....I have no idea why this car is like that. I would seriously look at replacing the lower dash or getting to sprayed black.

Those panels are easy to remove, get them plastic dipped

It’s almost as if it’s the extended leather package you get on other Audi models but was never available on the A3 (as far as I’m aware!).

It’s almost as if it’s the extended leather package you get on other Audi models but was never available on the A3 (as far as I’m aware!).

I have MonoPur, which is extended leather pack for the A3, maybe if I had red seats then half my dash would be red as well? Strange one. Could it be an import? for a RHD market like Cyprus?

I have MonoPur, which is extended leather pack for the A3, maybe if I had red seats then half my dash would be red as well? Strange one. Could it be an import? for a RHD market like Cyprus?
It isn’t mentioned as being on option in the brochure for that year.

It isn’t mentioned as being on option in the brochure for that year.

Monpurr is just leather stitched knee pads , armrest cover, door handles etc. Black leather with white stitching like the seats.

Strange,but man its a bit ugly, are you sure you want that car?

Monpurr is just leather stitched knee pads , armrest cover, door handles etc. Black leather with white stitching like the seats.

Strange,but man its a bit ugly, are you sure you want that car?
It’s a great condition car and has the parking system plus and Sat Nav high so it does appeal to me.

I’ve found another car local to me. 5Dr 1.6TDI Sport in Brilliant Black with 117k miles for £4850.
Following options:
  • Parking System Rear
  • Audi Pre-Sense Basic
  • Audi Sound System
  • Comfort Pack
  • Light & Rain Sensor Pack
  • Cruise Control
  • Elect Folding Door Mirrors
  • Auto Dimming Rear Mirror
  • Aluminium Roof Rails
  • Illuminated Vanity Mirrors
  • Elect Lumbar Support
Sports suspension deselect though and no Sat Nav.

So I checked and it does indeed have the mono.pur option as well as electric seats! Not a bad options list (£6k!)

So I checked and it does indeed have the mono.pur option as well as electric seats! Not a bad options list (£6k!)

Crazy that Mono Pur does that to a dash with either brown seats or Sport line cars!

Big job to change it (but possible) so can you live with it? Thats the question.

Crazy that Mono Pur does that to a dash with either brown seats or Sport line cars!

Big job to change it (but possible) so can you live with it? Thats the question.
It might be ok in question. The car is quite rare with the massive spec it has and the mileage is low and the condition amazing. It’s over a 2 hour drive away for me to view it though so I just wanted to be ok with it before I go. It seems most others with higher mileage and basic spec, are more!

It might be ok in question. The car is quite rare with the massive spec it has and the mileage is low and the condition amazing. It’s over a 2 hour drive away for me to view it though so I just wanted to be ok with it before I go. It seems most others with higher mileage and basic spec, are more!

I'd go for it, and if it bugs you, just change the dash or have the lower half flecked. Much cheaper than trying to retrofit some of the options the car has.

For me, driver assistance and ACC, once you learn to use them instinctively are worth their weight in cocaine.

Got rid to make way for a Dodge Challenger. Had the A4 for 4 years so time for a change.
Just after the A3 for a daily until the Challenger turns up. Currently using a big american V8 as my daily which isn’t ideal.
Instead of looking for an 8v platform why don't you look for a well spec'd 8p variant? I would've thought you could get a really nice car for 7k? Just a thought mind you.:icon thumright:

I'd go for it, and if it bugs you, just change the dash or have the lower half flecked. Much cheaper than trying to retrofit some of the options the car has.

For me, driver assistance and ACC, once you learn to use them instinctively are worth their weight in cocaine.
The one with the black leather doesn’t have those options. That was the original blue one which the dealership lied to me about having!

Instead of looking for an 8v platform why don't you look for a well spec'd 8p variant? I would've thought you could get a really nice car for 7k? Just a thought mind you.:icon thumright:
Not a chance! It’s a 20 year old design and the interior is VERY dated! I used to have an S3 8p. I don’t want to take a step backwards.

The one with the black leather doesn’t have those options. That was the original blue one which the dealership lied to me about having!

Ah ok without any major toys, the interior would be an instant no for me.

But if you can live with it, go for it.

The one with the Brown Leather is as Follows:
2013 3Dr Sport 74k miles, FSH, 2 Owners, 4 new tyres, 12 months MOT, £6500
  • Technology Pack nav System Plus, MMI High (£1495)
  • Milano Brown Leather (£1115)
  • Mono.pur extended Interior Pack (£295)
  • Elect Lumbar Support (£195)
  • Elect Drivers Seat (£550)
  • Storage & Luggage Pack (£145)
  • Audi Parking System Plus (Front & Rear)(£595)
TOTAL OPTIONAL EXTRAS = £4,600

The one with the Brown Leather is as Follows:
2013 3Dr Sport 74k miles, FSH, 2 Owners, 4 new tyres, 12 months MOT, £6500
  • Technology Pack nav System Plus, MMI High (£1495)
  • Milano Brown Leather (£1115)
  • Mono.pur extended Interior Pack (£295)
  • Elect Drivers Seat (£550)
  • Storage & Luggage Pack (£145)
  • Audi Parking System Plus (Front & Rear)(£595)
TOTAL OPTIONAL EXTRAS = £4,600

I think, the ones I've marked are fairly undesireable options imho, so no major resale excitement

So it's down to the other options being worth it to you over that dashboard.

Or there is this one at the local auction yard near me with a buy it now price of £4850 (plus a buyers fee)

2013, Sport, 1.6TDi, Brilliant Black, 5dr, 117k miles

• Parking System (Rear) (£345)
  • Audi Pre Sense Basic (£200)
  • Cruise Control (£225)
  • Audi Sound System (£255)
  • Elect Folding Door Mirrors & Auto Dimming Mirror (£250)
  • Aluminium Roof Rails (£250)
  • Light & Rain Sensor Pack (£350)
  • Illuminated Vanity Mirrors (£55)
  • Comfort Package (£605)

Deselected Sports suspension though and no Sat Nav.

Although I hear the SD Card based Sat Nav isn’t that good anyway?

Or there is this one at the local auction yard near me with a buy it now price of £4850 (plus a buyers fee)

2013, Sport, 1.6TDi, Brilliant Black, 5dr, 117k miles

• Parking System (Rear) (£345)
  • Audi Pre Sense Basic (£200)
  • Cruise Control (£225)
  • Audi Sound System (£255)
  • Elect Folding Door Mirrors & Auto Dimming Mirror (£250)
  • Aluminium Roof Rails (£250)
  • Light & Rain Sensor Pack (£350)
  • Illuminated Vanity Mirrors (£55)
  • Comfort Package (£605)
Deselected Sports suspension though and no Sat Nav.

Although I hear the SD Card based Sat Nav isn’t that good anyway?

The Tech Pack isnt SD based Sat Nav.

My dad has the SD based low rent Sat Nav in his Q3 and its somewhat of an embarrassment, the graphics are akin to a Commodore 64, and the speed of it akin to a Spectrum ZX.

If its just a daily stand in, then Sports suspension probably wont matter?

Just pick the options you NEED in the car, then you can fine tune the possibilities.

For me, my 'requirement' list is pretty much everything thats on offer lol, hence why it took me almost two years to find mine, and even then it was till a toss up between it and an A5. Relistically, I would have preferred the A5, but the interior in those are looking dated now, the A3 one is pretty timeless, and it came from a good person who had looked after it - so this balanced it up.

Just been offered the following:

2012, A3 8V Sline 3dr Brilliant Black, 124k miles
FSH, 2 owners, new brake pads and 4 new Michelin Pilot Sport tyres:
  • Sat Nav SD Card based
  • B&O Stereo
  • Privacy Glass
  • Sline Suspension
£6900. Would try and get him down abit from that. Good price?
Looks immaculate in the pics.

Why are you trying to buy bargain basement 120k mile cars. If you don’t have the budget for a non moon mile Audi then have a look elsewhere

Why not buy a Seat Leon (same car) and you’ll get the same chassis / engine with 60-70k miles for the same money.

a leon mk3 fr looks nicer than an a3 sport too imo.

Why are you trying to buy bargain basement 120k mile cars. If you don’t have the budget for a non moon mile Audi then have a look elsewhere

Why not buy a Seat Leon (same car) and you’ll get the same chassis / engine with 60-70k miles for the same money.

a leon mk3 fr looks nicer than an a3 sport too imo.
I do have the budget.....but I’m just after a temp car for a 3-6 months until I get find my next car in the US.
I like the A3, and yes the Seat is nice exterior wise, it is extremely dated on the interior. Plus try and sell a Seat....you can’t get rid of them!

Those aren’t big miles for a diesel anyway.
Try and find an A3 8V for under £10k on under 100k miles.....there aren’t many. Most are over 100k miles

I do have the budget.....but I’m just after a temp car for a 3-6 months until I get find my next car in the US.
I like the A3, and yes the Seat is nice exterior wise, it is extremely dated on the interior. Plus try and sell a Seat....you can’t get rid of them!

Try and find an A3 8V for under £10k on under 100k miles.....there aren’t many. Most are over 100k miles
So you are in the U.S then?

I fancied something abit different lol.
Dodge Challenger 392 Scat Pack Widebody (6.4L, 500bhp, 200mph).

What are you looking at rough cost and to ship? Would love a proper V8 muscle car

Why are you looking at toys, mega extras lists, undesirable interiors and willing to travel 200 mils for a temp car? Surely you'd be better spending less money on something cheaper and easier to shift when you want rid.
Unless I was doing 2-3000 motorway miles a month, I wouldn't want to live with a 1.6 diesel just to have a few useless toys. Does anyone actually need electric seats? It's just something else to go wrong on a 7 year old car.

Why are you looking at toys, mega extras lists, undesirable interiors and willing to travel 200 mils for a temp car? Surely you'd be better spending less money on something cheaper and easier to shift when you want rid.
Unless I was doing 2-3000 motorway miles a month, I wouldn't want to live with a 1.6 diesel just to have a few useless toys. Does anyone actually need electric seats? It's just something else to go wrong on a 7 year old car.
It’s a fair point. Tbh I had agreed to buy a cheap 2.0 TDI Sport (completely basic) but it was sold from under me. Then the same thing happened with the next two.
I’m buying an Sline tomorrow. Not that I was looking for an Sline but it was a good price.

Last edited: