Which Dolby 5.1 Surround Sound System

sc00byd00byd00

Frank and Beans...............
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
I want one that doesn't necessarily have to come with a DVD player but is future proof so that when I finally get round to getting a PS3 (when GT5 finally comes out) I can get 5.1 out of my existing dvd player, ps3 and tv ?

I'm normally a Toshiba only person but open to advice, plus it looks like Toshiba done have a great range in surround sound systems.

Dont want to pay over the odd's but on the other hand, dont want a cheapo system either.

Looking forward to advice........

Cheers,

Scott

I've just noticed that you mentioned a "system".

If you dont need a DVD player built in (which you won't as the PS3 plays / upscales DVDs as good as any built in surround sound system would) then I'd personally go for a seperate surround sound amp (Yamaha, Denon or as the chap above says, Onkyo) and then get a speaker package to go with it, then you maintain the "future proof" idea you are looking for. Buy to your budget now, then you can always upgrade the different parts of your set-up if you end up feeling flush in a year or two. Seperate amps will also be a more dedicated affair, usually have much more expandability for multiple inputs, and have better internal amplification and the result will be much better sound seperation and quality.

Try Richersounds online first, as they usually have some bargains there, if not then try your local Hi-Fi shop, not sure of any in your neck of the woods, but i'm sure there will be some around. Don't bother with the likes of Currys, Comet etc.

Go into a local Richer Sounds store and check there mate. They will also give you a lot of advice within your budget and you will be able to demo some systems.

you can buy a good 5.1 ampli and a set of speakers (inc active sub) for under £500 and will be well worth it than the usual AIO systems.

I recently got a Bose 321 GS - Sounds the nuts, as i have a Dennon 6.2 and Mission Floor standers in my loft (not enough room in my house!) i wanted a decent stereo performance with minimal speakers and bulk from amps etc.

If you buy from the outlet centre you can get £350 off :yahoo:
I payed £650 after a trade-in of a harry big button thing, from my mum's house - They do 0% also.

I'm realy pleased with it, have it hooked upto SkyHD with a Digital Optical Lead for Dolby Digital 5.1, sounds the nutts.

Gary.

Your better off buying a surround speaker package and a seperate amp/AV receiver than a dvd/surround system I think,better value.

I bought the Mordaunt-Short Alumni 5.1 system from Richer Sounds which sound superb. It was £449 from Richer, and £599 from most other places so it pays to shop around. Also if you call them they will set up a system for you to go in and listen to,great service in my opinion.

I'm using a Budget Yamaha AV receiver at the moment which still sounds brilliant.

As soon as you get an action movie on with the surround sound you'll wonder how you ever did without!

I also looked at the Alumni, decided on the Q Accoustics 1010i in the end, had slightly better reviews and sounded cleaner and crisper to me.

A4Quattro, I have a Q Acoustics 1010i and it's brillinat. Much better choice imo. The sub isn't great though but OK for the price. (maybe I'm comparing it with a much better sub)

people still talk 5.1 and occasionally DTS, but I dont see much mention of the 7.1 systems..
Is it worth considering them?

I've finally got an HD tv to match my other AV kit, and my Onkyo AV amp is DTS,5.1 but only 2 optical digital inputs, so I just bought an external switch box to give me extra.

Playing Blueray now, they seem to output as DTS into the Onkyo a/v amp, presuming as thats as "good" as my AV amp can do

Its kicking sound.
You gotta have a sub in your home cinema to really appreciate the effects.. :)
Boom Boom shake sake the room

7.1 system will make a difference only in a big room (i mean BIG). My ampli is 7.1 bit the 5.1 setup is excelelnt for now. Get a 7.2 setup and 2 subs...lol

people still talk 5.1 and occasionally DTS, but I dont see much mention of the 7.1 systems..
Is it worth considering them?

I've finally got an HD tv to match my other AV kit, and my Onkyo AV amp is DTS,5.1 but only 2 optical digital inputs, so I just bought an external switch box to give me extra.

Playing Blueray now, they seem to output as DTS into the Onkyo a/v amp, presuming as thats as "good" as my AV amp can do

HD and Blueray discs also output in TrueHD and other Lossless formats. The only way to really take advantage of that though is to get an AV amp with HDMI inputs. The other plus side of getting an HD AV amp, is that you have less cables as all your HDMI can input into your amp then just one HDMI going to your TV, the amp will then switch the sources and you dont need to worry about switching your TV to a different source.

I'll all for limiting cables, I hate the mess behind my AV cabinet!

What ever you buy just ensure the amp is either 7.1 or 9.1 DTS HD compatible as most Blue-ray discs are DTS HD 5.1 or 7.1

I want one that doesn't necessarily have to come with a DVD player but is future proof so that when I finally get round to getting a PS3 (when GT5 finally comes out) I can get 5.1 out of my existing dvd player, ps3 and tv ?

I'm normally a Toshiba only person but open to advice, plus it looks like Toshiba done have a great range in surround sound systems.

Dont want to pay over the odd's but on the other hand, dont want a cheapo system either.

Looking forward to advice........

Cheers,

Scott

As nobody else seems too concerned, I'll ask.

What kind of total budget do you have? £250, £500, £750, £1,000 or more?

I picked up an Onkyo system 5.1, amp speakers and sub for under £300! IMO fantastic, the xbox never sounded so good, the amp has loads of audio and video connections and most importantly multiple Optical and HDMI connections for all you digital sound needs! The sub is very punchy, far better than my previous Sony set up.
Highly recommended, and believe it or not i got it from Comet in the sale! somewhere you would never expect to see decent 5.1 systems:

http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/product/567930/ONKYO-HTS3200

Check it out, i could bet you wouldnt find a better system for the money!