Which Engine/Box Combination?

Graemetee

Reaction score
I'm thinking about going back to an estate car again having no need for my van anymore and was wondering what people think is the best combination of engine/gearbox spec?

The car will be doing the normal bits of commuting and journeys around the local area with a few longer UK runs and probably a couple of longer European road trips carrying 3-4 people along with their kit and bikes.

I'm hoping to find the best balance of decent performance and fuel economy, pretty much the moon on a stick! Current thinking that the 2.0 diesel would be perfect for the bigger trips and possibly with an auto box to make it nice and easy. No idea about performance of the diesel models but I'm not exactly expecting blistering performance but at the same time don't want something with the pace of an asthmatic pensioner.

Am I correct in thinking that there are two different auto boxes fitted to the A4? If do, is there one in particular to avoid?

If you're doing some miles I'd be looking at the 3.0tdi, got a good amount of grunt and still gives respectable mpg.
I believe they come in S-tronic and tip-tronic. Early S-tronic (2008-2010/11) had some issues but newer ones seem to be more reliable providing the correct servicing has been carried out

Reactions: Graemetee
As above really. 2.0TDI or 3.0TDI with S-Tronic box. Get one that is post 2012 (13 plate or newer) to ensure you have the later box with less issues, make sure it has been service as per schedule (every 38,000 miles) with new oil and filter (genuine VAG parts or ZF parts....ZF make the gearbox).

Should see you right.

Reactions: Graemetee
Bugatti Veyron W16 coupled to a fiat 134 4 speed box.

Reactions: DieselJake and 8163264
As above really. 2.0TDI or 3.0TDI with S-Tronic box. Get one that is post 2012 (13 plate or newer) to ensure you have the later box with less issues, make sure it has been service as per schedule (every 38,000 miles) with new oil and filter (genuine VAG parts or ZF parts....ZF make the gearbox).

Should see you right.
ZF make the tiptronic, Graziano Oerlikon make the s-tronics. Personally I'd never have a s-tronic in a diesel. They are never programmed right and are designed for revvy petrols. You just find it revving out where there is no torque when you use the kickdown.

The tiptronic is a great all rounder but only comes in the bigger, more powerful diesels.

Multitronic is the CVT, which is actually very good for the applications it's used for. By that i mean if someone buys a <200bhp 2.0 tdi for getting from A to B in comfort and without fuss then it's super. If you buy the same car thinking it's a sports car you will get frustrated very quickly.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

ZF make the tiptronic, Graziano Oerlikon make the s-tronics.

My mistake!

Personally I'd never have a s-tronic in a diesel. They are never programmed right and are designed for revvy petrols. You just find it revving out where there is no torque when you use the kickdown.

As someone with the 177ps 2.0TDI with an S-Tronic I would disagree with that comment. The older PD 2.0TDI (which we also have) has no puff up top and would be rubbish when using the kick down and having it change at redline, but the CR 2.0TDI on our B8.5 is totally different. I was very surprised the first time I took it to redline and realised it pulled all the way and didn't just run out of puff 1000RPM before it got to redline like the older PD 2.0TDI in the B7.

The S-Tronic is a brilliant box with the 2.0TDI. In D it is comfortable and easy to live with, in S it makes the car a bit more lively and good if you are nipping on in B-roads and in M you have full control. I will admit that sometimes there can be a delay between asking for a gear down and the downshift occurring when in M, but I tend to find the more you push on the less this happens and the better it seems to respond.

As for the kick down...never had a single issue when overtaking, it does just what it says on the tin when you put the foot to the floor and as above the CR engines are much better at high RPM than the old PD engines, so it doesn't feel like it's running out of puff up top.

My mistake!

As someone with the 177ps 2.0TDI with an S-Tronic I would disagree with that comment. The older PD 2.0TDI (which we also have) has no puff up top and would be rubbish when using the kick down and having it change at redline, but the CR 2.0TDI on our B8.5 is totally different. I was very surprised the first time I took it to redline and realised it pulled all the way and didn't just run out of puff 1000RPM before it got to redline like the older PD 2.0TDI in the B7.

The S-Tronic is a brilliant box with the 2.0TDI. In D it is comfortable and easy to live with, in S it makes the car a bit more lively and good if you are nipping on in B-roads and in M you have full control. I will admit that sometimes there can be a delay between asking for a gear down and the downshift occurring when in M, but I tend to find the more you push on the less this happens and the better it seems to respond.

As for the kick down...never had a single issue when overtaking, it does just what it says on the tin when you put the foot to the floor and as above the CR engines are much better at high RPM than the old PD engines, so it doesn't feel like it's running out of puff up top.
Each to their own and all that. I had stronic in an RS4 and a 184ps A3 and it was terrible in the A3 and awesome in the RS.

I now have the same CR engine as you in an A6 with the CVT and love crusing around in that in D much more than the a3.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk