Which engine sounds best?

We were having this conversation at work the other day. I love the sound of a rumbling american v8. But i also love a raspy v6 and a burbley 5 cylinder. Also like a screaming revvy vtec engine. I just love the sound of a petrol engine can't choose between them.

V8 for me!

vbpgimage.php

But I also love the sound of the Flat 6

marmite said:
But I also love the sound of the Flat 6

Can't beat the sound of an air cooled flat six with a stainless sports rear box. :drool:

Used to love scaring pedestrians and setting of cara alarms in underground car parks with mine. :icon_thumright:

from audi straight 5 then v8

generally any good sport engine straight 5+ cyls, then low idling high capacity mopar v8

jojo said:
I recently drove a 1.0 VW Polo and thought it had a nice induction sound, later found out it was a 3 pot, does sound good having have a V6.

My girlfriend's got a polo with a 3 cylinder 1.4 tdi engine. I like the way it sounds - i tell people it sounds like half a 911 engine ;)

Just Plain Old said:
I like the sound of my AMD modified V8 S4......

Me too!!!! :)

And I STILL reckon it SOUNDED better than the RS6's.

The thing is, you can have a 2 engines of the same layout that sound completely different..one dull as dishwater, one incredible.

I love old US Muscle Car V8s...and Ferarri's flat plane V8...but the Rover V8 leaves me cold.
BMWs straight 6 is a fine sounding engine...
As is Porsche's flat 6...
I can't stand the awful racket that Subaru's flat 4 makes.

I think my all time favourite is Porsche's V10 in the Carrera GT though...