Which insurance to choose

RichardT

Reaction score
I am picking up my new Audi A3 saloon tomorrow and have the complimentary 7 day insurance set-up from Audi insurance.
They have quoted me for a years insurance - £330, which they dropped to £280 when I said it was too expensive.
My current insurer (Cooperative) is quoting £241. I have always been satisfied with the Coop (although not made loads of claims)
The Audi insurance guy made a big play of how they are the only insurance to guarantee that genuine Audi parts and paint would be used for repair. Coop could only really say that repairs are done by approved repairers - could not guarantee that it would be taken to Audi for repair. Otherwise the two policies match pretty well (replacement car if over 60% value to repair in first year, loan car, legal advice etc)
What is the thinking here? Is it worth paying a premium to insure within the Audi "family", or is any good quality insurance just as good.?

I believe Audi Insurance is underwritten by Allianz.

Indeed, Audi Insurance and Allianz guarantee that your car will only be repaired in Audi Approved Bodyshops, using genuine Audi parts.

Other insurance companies will use their own bodyshops and probably non-genuine Audi parts, though some will allow you to choose your own bodyshop, sometimes at an additional fee/premium. There will be additional hassle time delay in this process though.

Only you can decide how important it is to you to have genuine Audi replacement parts fitted - perhaps if you are thinking of keeping the car long term, this may be an influencing factor.

An intermediate solution is to take out "Audi Ensurance" - a free service (currently), which manages the process for you, and they claim to steer the insurance companies to Audi Approved bodyshops and genuine parts, even if it means additional cost to them, Some on here have reported good things, some bad,

Have a read for yourself about Audi Ensurance here:
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...stions-on-the-8v-chassis.198794/#post-2286171

The Audi Ensurance Cover booklet is here:
https://www.insurewithaudi.co.uk/library/pdf/Audi Ensurance Cover Booklet 0414.pdf

Reactions: Pulp84
Really difficult question to answer and I guess it depends weather or not you can stomach a premium in price over other insurers.

I have Audi insurance and I pay £450 all in (have a few windscreen claims and Mrs Pulp some points). They have always been fairly competitive on price for me. They did try and double my premiums when I got my S3 but after moaning they came back with a sensible price.

I got burnt majorly a few years a go with my old John Cooper Works MINI. Bonnet got damaged and needed a re-spray. I was insured with MoreThan. It went to their own bodyshop in a Bristol and to say the repair was poor is an understatement. Bad colour match, blemishes in the finish and the bonnet strips were cheap copies (not OEM).

After much complaining and an independent report being done, it turned out the guy who sprayed it had used too high a pressure on the spray gun (causing a zebra effect), the wrong paint mix (they used cheaper materials) and did not let the lacquer bake properly causing blemishes. The independent guy noted to me that if it had gone to a MINI dealer it would have been done much better.

Ever since I have always gone with manufacturer branded insurance - peace of mind but purely because of my own experience.

I think Aviva are another insurer who will allow you to use a bodyshop not on their approved list (for a small fee) and to be fair they are very competitive on price. Best of both worlds if they are cheaper than Audi......

I am picking up my new Audi A3 saloon tomorrow and have the complimentary 7 day insurance set-up from Audi insurance.
They have quoted me for a years insurance - £330, which they dropped to £280 when I said it was too expensive.
My current insurer (Cooperative) is quoting £241. I have always been satisfied with the Coop (although not made loads of claims)
The Audi insurance guy made a big play of how they are the only insurance to guarantee that genuine Audi parts and paint would be used for repair. Coop could only really say that repairs are done by approved repairers - could not guarantee that it would be taken to Audi for repair. Otherwise the two policies match pretty well (replacement car if over 60% value to repair in first year, loan car, legal advice etc)
What is the thinking here? Is it worth paying a premium to insure within the Audi "family", or is any good quality insurance just as good.?

I was quoted £490 from Audi, went to Kwik fit and was quoted £210. Never had to claim for any damage or accidents, but the issue of a paint shop not using genuine parts is a question I will be asking when it's due for renewal

Got quoted £165 a year from Esure. Been with them last 4years,11 years no claim discount and me and the missus are the other side of 40!!

Got quoted £165 a year from Esure. Been with them last 4years,11 years no claim discount and me and the missus are the other side of 40!!

That's a great price. The wife and me both have over 15 years no claims discount and no points.
I think I will make sure I give Esure a ring

For an extra £40 the Audi insurance sounds like a no brainer, provided that everything else is equal.

FWIW I just renewed my insurance for £420 with MoreThan. Over 40, 8 year NCB, no points but I live in a bad postcode!

I paid £157.64 through Lloyds Bank insurance, which is underwritten by Liverpool Victoria.....been with them for a couple of years though, luckily, had no cause to claim, but I am just over 60, so I don't tend to drive as fast as when I was a youngster!!

I've done a lot of digging at insurance cover! The best 5 with regards to level of cover etc. come out as:

NFU Mutual - Fantastic reviews & cover and they cover a new car for two years (New car replacement if your vehicle is less than 2 years old from the date of first registration, is a UK specified model and damaged beyond economical repair) However, they don't cover all areas!

Allianz - Good level of cover and it's who Audi use.

Aviva - Good level of cover and the guy even phoned me up after the online quote and gave me some good advice, I'll be going with these guys £410 with all the extra bits, but I'm currently using their drive app to get some discount which can be up to £101.

More Than - Good level of cover at decent prices.

LV = Liverpool Victoria - Good cover but wouldn't quote on anything over £30,000 without a tracker fitted.

I have done like most in the past and gone for the cheapest quote, but with getting an S3 I want to make sure that if the worst happens and the car goes missing never to be seen again I want good cover with no hassle and a quick payout, so if that means paying another £100 - £150 then so be it! After all it's a £30+k car, so in the big picture what is a couple of hundred more to protect it???

http://www.defaqto.com/insurance-brokers/star-ratings/ViewStarRatings/

http://www.carinsuranceexplained.com/

Hope this helps :)

Yer, Audi's insurance is Allianz. To be honest it ends up working out the cheapest, especially if you have additional people on the car.

Yer, Audi's insurance is Allianz. To be honest it ends up working out the cheapest, especially if you have additional people on the car.
Did you try direct with Allianz as well? Just wondering if Audi put their cut on the price!

I'm intending to go direct, yes. They have the best price anyway. If Audi was to be more expensive you could use a cheaper Allianz quote to bring them down.

The trouble is people only make posts when they are unhappy! They don't bother when everything goes well, see what I mean http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews145431.html yet they are number 1 here http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/driver-power/88192/best-car-insurance-companies-2014 same goes for number 2 http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews123850.html

Yeah I know what you mean. Most of the Esure complaints are to do with problems claiming. Reviewers seem to be complaining more about high renewals etc. in the examples you've shown though.

I've just called Audi insurance up to see what they charge, £910 to cover me at 43 years of age lol.

I'm with Esure now paying £260 on a 4x4 suv, but will not be putting the S3 with them.

At the end of the day it isn't the insurance company paying out, it's the underwriters, same goes with Audi.
It will really depend on who you speak to if you ever go to claim, and if that person is willing to go the distance to help you.

Some systems are better than others, some have call centers where others don't, some are UK based call centers and others in India.

I've been quoted £240 for me and the wife, fully comp with our current insurers AXA.
I got the TT repaired 3 years ago and they definitely used Audi parts so I'll stick with them again.

Insurance companies are only ever tested when you have to make a claim, that's when we know how good they are/aren't.

I'm a member of the Institute of Advanced Motorists (IAM), and have been for years, they do insurance for members and will always match the 'best' price you get. I'm happy with them, however I've never had to claim, so don't know how good/bad they will be. I don't want to have to claim either!

Ive been with the cis since I was 17 (now 30) and they've been absolutely great with me, and I certainly can recommend them

Ive been with the cis since I was 17 (now 30) and they've been absolutely great with me, and I certainly can recommend them

Yes - that's why I rather want to stick with them. I have been with them ever since the little man came round to the house to collect the premiums!! I have looked at other companies at various points but CIS always match for me.

I'm with Chris Knott at the mo, they were the cheapest/decent policy for me (could've gotten it cheaper still, but the reviews for the cheaper insurers wasn't good!), I do have the Audi Ensurance scheme too though, they take over if you need to claim and deal with everything for you, communication can be patchy with them but it worked out in the end!

Have you tried LV? I pay £250 fully comp with guaranteed NCD on my new 8V S3 SB. They're a great firm to deal with. Only stipulation they made was that it had to have a Thatcham approved tracker fitted.

Can't comment on price but Direct Line offer the 'new car replacement' for total loss claim in first year since first registration. Also, vandalism claims do not count against your NCD.

I am not linked with Direct Line and am not insured with them. Just contributing to OP question.

John.

Have you tried LV? I pay £250 fully comp with guaranteed NCD on my new 8V S3 SB. They're a great firm to deal with. Only stipulation they made was that it had to have a Thatcham approved tracker fitted.
But how much is the tracker costing you?

Is it worth using the meercat price comparison website or something similar? I was with Sainsbury's with my previous car (Volvo S60) but was paying over £400, despite being 41, doing less than 8k miles p/a and having fully-protected no-claims bonus.

Andrew_Bu try Moneysupermarket to get different quotes and shop around.

Reactions: Andrew_Bu
Is it worth using the meercat price comparison website or something similar? I was with Sainsbury's with my previous car (Volvo S60) but was paying over £400, despite being 41, doing less than 8k miles p/a and having fully-protected no-claims bonus.

Wow I'm 30 and had a quote of 450 on the s3 (on autotrader insurance compartment website) and 540 on a rs3

I'm 30 and quoted £400 from elephant with all the optional extras included, they make you declare it
This is for the s3 with 7 years no claims

I'm 30 and quoted £400 from elephant with all the optional extras included, they make you declare it
This is for the s3 with 7 years no claims

Same age and pay the same figure as you through Audi Insurance

So difficult to get a sense of what's a good price / bad price really on the S3. Seen very different prices paid for people which I guess is to be expected as we are different and have different post codes, risks etc

Recently did an insurance quote for the S3 saloon and got rather a pleasant surprise

Full comp. protected NCD, £250 excess, garaged, wife & I to drive

£142.33 for the year with Sheila's Wheels :thumbs up:

I read on the money saving expert forum that some guy was so savy he managed to get an insurance company pay him to drive lol with all the cash backs and everything

Reactions: Cymru09
I read on the money saving expert forum that some guy was so savy he managed to get an insurance company pay him to drive lol with all the cash backs and everything
Didn't do that well but got my fully comp insurance for a year for my B7 A4 a few years ago for £27 with cashback
Managed to get the daughters house insurance around the same time for free with £50 back off the insurance company! Crazy!
Cashback amounts have been seriously reduced since the recession unfortunately, but there are still some good cashback deals about if you've got the time to look
I always use the cashback site quidco, but there are are others like topcashback :thumbs up:

Just called Aviva to ask a few questions about home insurance which is due before the car insurance. Once you have home insurance they take off 15% on your car insurance quote! So for me that's £348 with all the extras and I still have my Aviva drive app score/% to come off that which can be up to £101. I live just outside Chester.

Just called up Audi Insurance for a quote. Despite my 16 years' no claims bonus, the quote came out at £486.85 per annum. I got the spiel about genuine Audi parts etc but it still seems expensive.