Which insurance to choose

That is expensive. I got fully comp with protected NCD at £233 for my S3 with eSure. I have 14yrs NCD and clean license and a DH postcode. (age: 4 decades LOL)

You have just spent £30k+ for a nice new car. Why take the risk of going with a 'cheap' company for the sake of £100-£200, look at the cover level, customer support and other benefits before buying!

I moved my home insurance from Sheilas wheels to Aviva last weekend, the policy was £109 per year more. However, it covers a lot more things with only a £100 excess rather than a £250 excess. As I now have home insurance with them, they give me 15% off my car insurance, so that at least £50 back/off....I looked at the customer offers in the 'customer account' part of their site, for being an Aviva customer you get 10% cottages for you holidays, we always use them to book anyway! The one we had been looking at was £800, so there's another £80 back. £80+£50 = £130 :) which more than covers the extra I paid for the home insurance for better cover!

Another way to look at it:

Given the choice of just these two, which would you buy and why?

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/cl...le-wax-original-hard-shell-shine-car-wax-250g

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/cleaning-products/polish-wax/autoglym-high-definition-wax

See where I'm going???

lol you know the point being made though! :D

Out of pure interest what do you use???

Reactions: Bristle Hound
I won't pay over the odds for car insurance, no way. As long as it's a reputable company I don't care. I base this on the fact that I haven't needed to use my insurance in the 12 years I've been driving. *touch wood

I am more of a sealant man as opposed to waxes TBH

Current fave sealants are - Werkstat acrylic kit, CarPro Reload & Gtechniq C2V3 :)
OK cheers, best place to buy?

I did get an email from a place a few weeks back, no idea how they got my email though!!! Slimms detailing or something like that!

Just called up Audi Insurance for a quote. Despite my 16 years' no claims bonus, the quote came out at £486.85 per annum. I got the spiel about genuine Audi parts etc but it still seems expensive.

Online quote from Aviva has just come in at £317. That's a significant difference and I wouldn't be too concerned about making a clain with them.

You have just spent £30k+ for a nice new car. Why take the risk of going with a 'cheap' company for the sake of £100-£200, look at the cover level, customer support and other benefits before buying!

I did. I also got a few added benefits for an extra £7.50 which included mis-fuelling cover, lost key cover and a few other benefits (other than breakdown as that is free for three years with Audi). This, plus new for old cover for the first year, excess cover, protected no claims and all from a reputable company for £233 a year. I expect that is what you meant when you tried to lecture? I have also never had any convictions, ever. I am the wrong side of my 30's and have made one claim in the last 15years. Now, I could have paid more for the cover but why would I? Are Esure bandits? (they have a defacto 5 star badge) Are my Gap insurer's bandits (see I got that as well for my £30k plus motor and I didn't pay twice as much from the dealer, but under £190 from ALA. I'm running it along side my fully comp insurance as ALA say in the first year if my main insurer doesn't pay invoice in a write off situation they cover me, if they do then I get my next 3yr Gap cover for free. Did my homework on that one and didn't spend as much as I could have).

Sorry I don't see what your point is. I guess it's along the lines of it's an Audi so it should be expensive - is that what your saying?

Sorry I don't see what your point is. I guess it's along the lines of it's an Audi so it should be expensive - is that what your saying?

That's not what I'm saying at all, Audi quoted me around £900 and I'm not going to pay that! I'm saying that a lot of people (not all) use the likes of Go Compare, put in their details and say "Oh that's the cheapest quote I'll have that", without even looking at what sort of cover they will be getting. I'm sorry if you think I was lecturing, I was just sharing my findings which may or may not help someone from a lot of possible grief if they just went for a policy based on how cheap it was without looking at the level of cover and the worst were to happen.

Reactions: Foxtrot_Oscar
That's not what I'm saying at all, Audi quoted me around £900 and I'm not going to pay that! I'm saying that a lot of people (not all) use the likes of Go Compare, put in their details and say "Oh that's the cheapest quote I'll have that", without even looking at what sort of cover they will be getting. I'm sorry if you think I was lecturing, I was just sharing my findings which may or may not help someone from a lot of possible grief if they just went for a policy based on how cheap it was without looking at the level of cover and the worst were to happen.
Ok, that's a better explanation. Thanks.

I am with LV and pay less than £150, guaranteed NCB and business use but I am OLD! But I did enquire with them about using an Audi garage versus their recommended repairer and you can choose the former and the only disadvantage is you don't get a courtesy car. As I have 2 cars that's no problem.

The important thing is how good an insurer is when you claim. At this stage, the saving of a few quid is laughable.

I had 2 cars stolen and some **** on a bike crashing into us going over 100mph. And he wasn't insured as his licence had been revoked!
At this stage, legal protection add on is priceless.

Reactions: Martinbanshee
You're right of course .. but no-one knows how good they are in processing your claim at the time you take out the policy, because you probably haven't made a claim at that time. So you have to base your judgment on reputation and listening to others.

Just renewed my insurance.. the initial renewal price was £380 ish.. A quick poke around the internet, and a call to the insurer and managed to haggle them down to the cheapest quote I'd found £270 full comp for me, the mrs and my old man. Not bad, although I could have maybe got a further £20-40 off if I'd changed insurer and used a cashback site, however I thought I'd keep it simpler this year! Still cheapest I've paid for my insurance ever so can't complain too much..

Went with Esure as have been with them last 4 years.Ammended details to switch cars and cost is £165 per year for me and the missus,both other side of 40,11 years NCD!!

Does anyone know if the option of ACC (with emergency braking) gives you any insurance benefit? In logic it should as it prevents you from having a low speed crash and also helps to prevent a higher speed crash also. My insurance is due at the end of the month and I wondered if anyone had any real experience of this with their insurance company (mine is with LV).

Reactions: Martinbanshee
Certainly the Golf GTi with ACC is in a lower group, than one without.

Didn't someone on this forum say they have ACC and they experienced a problem with it where they changed to a slower lane and for some reason the ACC sped right up almost hitting the car infront until that person manually hit the brakes.

Got quoted £193, including protected no claims and legal from Direct Line. That is with multi-car discount, but thought is was a great quote for an S3.