Which is better looking - S3 sportback or 3 door S3?

SilureMark

Reaction score
You know I'm conflicted on this one - they are both good looking cars, but I saw an S3 sportback in Glacier yesterday at the dealer and thought it looked better than my 3 door misano. Yet, the service guy at audi thought my car was, his words, 'awesome' and described the sportback as a bit too close to being an estate to look sporty. What do you think? Personally, even through I have a 3 door, I think the sportback has the edge in the looks department... I thought differently when I ordered of course. LOL! May be a case of coveting what you don't have?

Sportback looks far far better than the 3dr, I recall the test car doing the rounds at dealers & I still have the pics of, I think the 3dr is stunning but too boxy, the SB looks sublime on the road.

Why preclude the saloon?

Personally think the best looking Audi's are the RS5 Coupe, RS6 Avant and R8.
Sportback gets my vote, with bars. Like a mini RS6 Avant.
Although 3 door in white with black pack gets pretty close.
The more I see the saloon on the road the more I think Audi shouldn't have bothered.

Sportback for me, like above I think it looks like a mini rs4/rs6 on the road!

Always a contentious topic this normally. I remember the debates on the 8P forums

Personally I prefer the sportback - purely for the back end. I think the rear lights have a more aggressive look.

SB. FACT. 3DR looks unfinished though larger doors are better for dogging.

Reactions: andywil13 and J6YAK
I've always had three-doors.

With the 8P, I always thought the 3-door looked a better, cleaner shape than the Sportback.

With the 8V I think they're now reversed and the Sportback looks better. There's something slightly awkward about the rear of the three-door that I can't quite put my finger on.

The Saloon looks better than both.

Reactions: Cleggy70 and cuke2u
SB for me I think it looks more complete but have to say the 3dr still looks really good ( apart from the rear lights drooping down...just looks weird)

Saloon also looks fantastic and is what I would have ordered if it was available at the time when I ordered mine!!

I am in the same dilemma. for me the hatch back is out. its between the saloon and the SB for me. for the OP, I prefer the look of the SB to the hatch 100%. I actually find the SB has more of a hot hatch look.

I think the Saloon is just a totally different "look" for the A3.

Not wishing to "dis" the 3-door or Sportback at all (I've had four of them after all) but I think the Saloon looks a bit more "sensible" or "grown up" than the 3-door or Sportback, simply by virtue of not being a hatchback.

I was also surprised by the amount of space in the saloon's boot. You always think of a hatchback as being the most practical option but there's significantly more space in the saloon's boot. The only downside is you obviously can't put tall items in as the rear shelf doesn't remove.

Didn't mention the saloon as I think it's a different kind of car altogether and appeals to different people that would buy the hatches... not many votes for the 3 door... I do like the saloon, but it wouldn't work for me. If the thunderstorms hold off this afternoon and the missis doesn't drag me out shopping, I'll give mine a clean and finally get some pictures up on the forum. Autosol on standby - me pipes are a bit dirty :jump:

Prefer the look of the HB as I think the doors on the SB look too small and give the SB a somewhat toyish look from the side....

Sportback saloon convertible 3dr in that order

Reactions: glospete and Louay
3 door - looks more sporty and prefer the bigger doors and rear lights.

Reactions: s3_trev, MA3RC and j0nny2013
I'm not a S3 owner however if it wasn't for the saloon I wouldn't be a Audi owner at all...

3 door for me. I always assumed the only reason people went for the SB was practicality, but maybe not!

Reactions: s3_trev
For me:

1. Saloon
2. Sportback
3. 3 Door

Sportback looks great with the roof rails, 3 door looks too small.

Sportback all day long. 3 door looks too shopping trolley.

Reactions: Louay
I've always preferred 3dr, but not nowadays. Prefer the SB.

I even prefer the M3 over the new M4.....Maybe it's an age thing as I approach 40

Saloon, SB then hatch.

As for M3 or M4, (I've had an M3 coupe of 2 generations ago), I think they are both equally ugly, though obviously superb mechanically. In fact, I can't think of a single current model BMW that I like! they've completely lost the design plot.

The current BMW exteriors are a bit of a mixed bag but their interiors are shockingly awful. So sterile and bland and not the slightest bit welcoming. No one does interiors like Audi.

Saloon, SB then hatch.

As for M3 or M4, (I've had an M3 coupe of 2 generations ago), I think they are both equally ugly, though obviously superb mechanically. In fact, I can't think of a single current model BMW that I like! they've completely lost the design plot.
640 grand coupe......?

Years ago I had an 8P S3 3 door as I reckoned it looked better.
Recently I went in to order a white or black 8V 3 door and ended up placing an order for an Estoril Blue sportback.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I agree with the dealer. The SB looks like an A4 Avant IMO. But that's just what I personally think. They're both good looking cars, but it had to be the saloon once I'd seen it.

My favorite is the 8V saloon, then the 3DR, then SB

saloon looks like a mini A4

KW_Audi_A3_Typ_8V_Limousine_Standaufnahme01-960x480.jpg

The saloon looks awesome on those wheels but don't think 19s would do the ride many favours and they're a grand extra!

The Saloon looks uncomfortable - like two cars stuck together. The front doesn't match with the back, whereas the Sportback looks the most natural.

Audi a3 saloon  14  630x411

Audi a3 sportback 03

Even though I have the SB I still think the 3 door looks better, smoother lines and less cluttered by doors.

The Saloon looks uncomfortable - like two cars stuck together. The front doesn't match with the back, whereas the Sportback looks the most natural.

View attachment 36664

View attachment 36665
Lol, the daftest statement I've ever read. Of course the front doesn't match the back. One has headlamps and an engine and the other has a boot and rearlights. Problem I find with the sb is that it looks to similar to the 8p and boring...

Although I like the look of the saloon I am disappointed that they didn't use the SB S-Line feature in front of the front wheels. I think it makes a great design statement whereas the saloon looks like a Sport.

The saloon looks more grown up, a bit more premium looking than the 3 or 5 door IMO

Reactions: Vertigo1
I think saloons are making a bit of a comeback generally. I think people are getting bored with hatchbacks - they're everywhere and all just a bit "samey".

Yeah, I think you could be right about saloon making a comeback. You do see a lot more on the roads these days.

Looking like the SB is edging it then. The missis didn't like the SB at all, saying it looks like an old fart's estate car; not saying she made me order a 3 door, but well, if you're married, you'll know what happened... I'm happy with my S3, so that's good enough. I kind think it looks like a mean little ******, stealthy, but mean. If I had the SB, I'd want the 3 door and that, sums it up for me. All A3's look good, it's just case of which works for you :cool:

Reactions: Louay
Although I like the look of the saloon I am disappointed that they didn't use the SB S-Line feature in front of the front wheels. I think it makes a great design statement whereas the saloon looks like a Sport.
Yeah....why did they leave out that next gen model design feature on the S3 saloon? I love that piece, sets of the front with some real purposeful look.

I love the A3 Saloon they should have done it years ago