Which is better looking - S3 sportback or 3 door S3?

I've had three SB's, just picked up a brand new S3 Saloon in white it's the dogs dangles :))
Saloon for me every time

As a whole I don't like the SB as much as the 3dr, my fiancée has an 8P SB in liquid blue and I really like it in this colour. I have had a phantom black 8P 3dr and now have a silver 8P 3dr. In liquid blue I hate the 3dr. So colour plays a big part in what shape looks better.

Reactions: SilureMark
Lol, the daftest statement I've ever read. Of course the front doesn't match the back. One has headlamps and an engine and the other has a boot and rearlights. Problem I find with the sb is that it looks to similar to the 8p and boring...

Perhaps I should have been clearer. On the saloon the front looks sweeping and the back looks boxy, on the Sportback and Hatchback both ends sweep down and it looks more natural. Saloon just looks uncomfortable to me in terms of looks.

Although I like the look of the saloon I am disappointed that they didn't use the SB S-Line feature in front of the front wheels. I think it makes a great design statement whereas the saloon looks like a Sport.
Yer good point, I really like the front side bumper detailing. Also not on the S3 saloon.

Sportback for me.

Attachments

• Audi S3 Sportback 013.jpg
    Audi S3 Sportback 013.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 455
Sportback, 3 Door, Saloon. Saloon looks nice from some angles, but from most it's just really boxy, all straight lines and no curves. The 3 door looks like they forgot to put the rear doors in... there's way too much behind the doors to make it look balanced.

As a whole I don't like the SB as much as the 3dr, my fiancée has an 8P SB in liquid blue and I really like it in this colour. I have had a phantom black 8P 3dr and now have a silver 8P 3dr. In liquid blue I hate the 3dr. So colour plays a big part in what shape looks better.

Yep, spot on there IMO. Colour makes a big difference. I don't like the look of the SB in a lot of colours and the same for the three door. SB in glacier, yes, but has to have black styling pack + privacy glass else not so good IMO. 3 door in silver, red, white looks good, but SB in red, I don't know why, but to me it just doesn't look as good as 3 door in the same colour. It's all in the eye of the beholder of course. I was put off the SB as the one I had for test drive was estoril blue and I really didn't like the look of it, not 'oh my God that's horrible' but more like, 'hmm, looks too estate car like'. Then I had a drive in a 3 door in glacier and thought it looked the nuts, way more sporty to look at, cleaner lines and a younger, fresher image. I can't get past the SB being a mini estate car and that little quarter window at the rear doesn't look right to me, sort of unbalances the looks a bit. Comparing its looks to an RS4 or RS6, yeah I can go with that to a point, but neither of those cars is much of a looker. Not too sure what people are on about with the rear lights, they both look pretty much the same to me. There is of course another good reason to get the 3 door, well two actually; one it is quicker than the SB and two, it takes less time to clean it :jump: On a serious note, all A3's and S3's IMO are good looking cars, it all depends of course on your own tastes. Even the saloon looks good to me and I hate little four door saloons, so that's saying something. LOL!

Last edited:
When I saw the Saloon at announcement in S3 guise I wanted one coming from a TTS then a TTRS it was a major change for me. But when I heard that it would be a 5-6 month wait then decided that the HB was the 2nd best design and went for that (probably not so much of a step away from a coupe with pretty useless rear seats).

Was a bit gutted when my HB didn't turn up until about the time that the saloon would have arrived .... but hey once the HB comes back from detailing and swirl removal (dealer induced option extra) then hopefully I can enjoy the HB!!

My two previous cars to the S3 were a TTS and TTRS, had a Cayman S as well, but that was the wife's run around. I found it quite an adjustment to get settled in the S3 as you sit a lot higher than the TT's and the steering wheel sits a bit high as well. OK now, but was a bit of an adjustment. Have to say, IMO the S3 is a better car than both those TT's in so many ways, looks aside. But then the current TT is getting on a bit. The new one they can keep, don't like the look of it and the dashboard set up, too play station for me...

+1 for the HB, it's obviously a hot topic with no right or wrong answer - all down to personal preference. I just prefer the 3dr's, would be half tempted by a S3 coupe but it's yet to materialise, then again the S3 HB is a good all round practical hatch

Reactions: SilureMark
I found it quite an adjustment to get settled in the S3 as you sit a lot higher than the TT's and the steering wheel sits a bit high as well.

Funny you say that I have tried lots of different driving positions as I am getting aching thumbs/hands when using my usual 10 to 3 (ish) grip on the wheel. I hope it will go away over time ....

3-door, oh for a 3-door RS3... :search:

I've to put up with a sportback... :o.k:

Attachments

• RS3 in blue.jpg
    RS3 in blue.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 460
Reactions: s3_trev, L1ARR and bobinder
I remember seeing your car, I was in a sprint blue S3. I think I followed you out on a test drive in a RS6.

You've a good memory.

We didn't get to try the RS6, just the RS4 and TTRS Plus; and then the S5 and RS6 with pro-drivers on the track - a very good nay none the less and I thanked Swansway accordingly.

However, at the end of the day it was a brisk drive home using the A49, A41 and A5 in the RS3, and BLUEY didn't disappoint...

See October 2013 Thread in the RS3 Forum: AUDIS IN THE (OULTON) PARK

Oh, and after a recent Audi Experience day at a VERY wet Silverstone with the RS4, TTRS Plus, and Audi R8 V10 Plus, BLUEY still doesn't disappoint, mine for a long time yet...

Yer good point, I really like the front side bumper detailing. Also not on the S3 saloon.
In case anyone is not sure what I was talking about it's this feature ahead of the front wheel which is not on any saloon model (including S3), SB Sport or 3-door Sport but is only on the S-Line SB and 3-door:

2013 audi a3 12 1920x1080 copy

I've a 3 door S3 8p lovely styling, but the 8v has to be the sportback

Reactions: Audimad and L1ARR
You've a good memory.

We didn't get to try the RS6, just the RS4 and TTRS Plus; and then the S5 and RS6 with pro-drivers on the track - a very good nay none the less and I thanked Swansway accordingly.

However, at the end of the day it was a brisk drive home using the A49, A41 and A5 in the RS3, and BLUEY didn't disappoint...

See October 2013 Thread in the RS3 Forum: AUDIS IN THE (OULTON) PARK

Oh, and after a recent Audi Experience day at a VERY wet Silverstone with the RS4, TTRS Plus, and Audi R8 V10 Plus, BLUEY still doesn't disappoint, mine for a long time yet...

I'll take a read. Was a great day, I had each for about a hour by myself SQ5, S3, S5, RS4 and RS6.

I have to agree with some of the views here. I think the a3 sedan could easily just be taken for " oh look another a4" at least where I live, the a4 sedan is very popular.. I don't like the HB.. like some other members here, I find it looks like a lot is missing behind the door. I find the SB is just very sporty looking while the sedan looks very neutral.

We have a Sportback on order, but purely for practical reasons. My choice would be Saloon > Hatch > Sportback :)

Spoiled by black Audi badging though..........

Improved by black badging, else I'd not have changed out all the chrome - had loads of positive comments, even from total strangers. I love it, makes my car stand out from all the others. Wouldn't work on some colours, but on white or red, it's the nuts :yahoo:

Improved by black badging, else I'd not have changed out all the chrome - had loads of positive comments, even from total strangers. I love it, makes my car stand out from all the others. Wouldn't work on some colours, but on white or red, it's the nuts :yahoo:

It does make your car stand out from all the others.
Just not in a good way, despite what all of those total strangers (outside Halfords perhaps) have told you.
Never mind, it's easy to put right, so no harm done to the car.

Oh yeah, Sportback best looking, by far.
Sportback > Hatch > Hatch (with black badging) > Saloon

:whistle2:

Reactions: Pulp84
It does make your car stand out from all the others.
Just not in a good way, despite what all of those total strangers (outside Halfords perhaps) have told you.
Never mind, it's easy to put right, so no harm done to the car.

Oh yeah, Sportback best looking, by far.
Sportback > Hatch > Hatch (with black badging) > Saloon

:whistle2:

Lol, some posts on here do make me smile

Reactions: Pulp84
my personal view is that I don't like the roof rails but it seems its pretty popular in Europe. I am just gonna spec the pano roof

We have a Sportback on order, but purely for practical reasons. My choice would be Saloon > Hatch > Sportback :)

Interesting you say that as I've always assumed a hatchback would be more practical yet there's loads more space in the saloon's boot. Of course you can't get tall stuff in as you can't remove the shelf but, if it's just overall luggage space you need, the saloon would appear to be a better option.