Which new A4

Imagine if you have a warranty claim on engine or box. Over a certain threshold they now systematically do a deep search and normally find out. Painful.

Reactions: france71
If they can find a tuning box has been previously installed on a warranty claim then that would be painful...

I can see how a remap could be found, surely a tuning box would leave generic faults that wouldn’t definitively prove anything... eg over boost errors or fuel errors etc... ?

Anyone ever had or heard of a tuning box being found?

I ran one on my old GTD business lease but had no issues and a Q7 which had new turbo under warranty and never questioned.

If they can find a tuning box has been previously installed on a warranty claim then that would be painful...

I can see how a remap could be found, surely a tuning box would leave generic faults that wouldn’t definitively prove anything... eg over boost errors or fuel errors etc... ?

Anyone ever had or heard of a tuning box being found?

I ran one on my old GTD business lease but had no issues and a Q7 which had new turbo under warranty and never questioned.
VW claim that a tuning box can now be picked up by their more recent ECUs, would be logged, and then flagged when plugged in - even has it's own code, TB1.

Audi codes

Ouch.... well looks like chipping is done with unless you take the financial risk... even at 4 years old it would ruin your chances of goodwill on a repair if they can find it that easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: tickedon
Surely it’s not a lease thing... it’d be any type of purchase for an under 3 year old car... even if you owned it outright cash or pcp it’ll still invalidate the warranty the same..

Big issues with used cars then that had tuning box on previous owner and new owner is none the wiser... goes for warranty repair and...

VW claim that a tuning box can now be picked up by their more recent ECUs, would be logged, and then flagged when plugged in - even has it's own code, TB1.

View attachment 147380
Never heard of a TB1 or a tuning box being detected in any forum I have frequented for all the manufacturer vehicles I have owned. So the 'risk' in minimal to nil..

Not having heard of one from a forum is probably not a good indicator as dealers have only been recently urged to clamp down on the practice (and given the tools) from a warranty pov and who can blame them?
The issue to box or engine doesn't even have to have anything to do with the remap for it to lead to a warranty decline, which would be very expensive.

Not having heard of one from a forum is probably not a good indicator as dealers have only been recently urged to clamp down on the practice (and given the tools) from a warranty pov and who can blame them?
The issue to box or engine doesn't even have to have anything to do with the remap for it to lead to a warranty decline, which would be very expensive.
Having spend years on different forums, and having owned various remapped or fitted tuning boxes I think it is a very good indicator. I also have had some debates with the md of dtuk to know the risk is low to none...

I wouldnt be chipping a company provided vehicle - you would need to tell them to tell the insurers, which would no doubt get it blocked, and if you didnt then that would be gross misconduct in my experience....

Id agree.... let’s face it if the chip isn’t disclosed your insurance ain’t worth the paper it’s on....

I thought he stated it was on a business lease, which is not necessarily a company car. Insurance is a different matter but it doesn't cost much to declare it, mine was an extra £25...

Having spend years on different forums, and having owned various remapped or fitted tuning boxes I think it is a very good indicator. I also have had some debates with the md of dtuk to know the risk is low to none...

Past forum experience is not particularly useful when the detection techniques are very recent. Not sure what dtuk is. There is a massive difference between low and none, so which is it ? Low risk / high liability is not a particularly attractive proposition for me anyway but each to their own.

What would you expect but unbiased with what. Having had one of their products on my A3 I don't see any false claims being made. They increase the power and torque, they make the car more drivable, they can improve the mpg, have little effect upon reliability and are virtually undetectable.
If you've never had one how will you know???

You're hard work - read the last few posts - what may have been true might not be so true any longer...

They are easily detectable.

Either way, you need to get out more Mr Meldrew!

Mr Meldrew, LOL, not going to waste my time with that off the cuff remark.
Come back when you've know as much as I do and we'll have an adult conversation...

Reactions: RaZ A4
I’m sure I read on this forum last week that someone had their remap (I know different to a tuning box) detected after going in for a warranty claim. Audi made them pay the £600 or so for a new ecu and allowed them to keep their warranty, but it’s certainly enough to put me off the idea.

Il try find the post...

EDIT: found it, I read it last week but it’s dated back from 2016, still applies though I should think!

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/td1-warranty-and-a-tale-of-woe.273664/

Reactions: Nickfrog and tickedon
I went from a6 ultra to s4

What a contrast! Love the s4.

It’s also pretty cheap to run, sensible PCP, ok economy, sensible services etc

No regrets (Apart from not doing it sooner)

Reactions: Jcbmally
Mr Meldrew, LOL, not going to waste my time with that off the cuff remark.
Come back when you've know as much as I do and we'll have an adult conversation...

You don't what I know. But I know your source of information is the internet, including staff from a Company selling engine mods solution. But he is the MD, so he must be totally unbiased...

Again, re-read the recent posts and you'll realise that what you think you know is now obsolete. Manufacturers may not be as smart as you Victor, but I can tell you that what wasn't detected before is now detected, and that's from within the Automotive industry, not some bloke off the internet. Quite rightly IMO, including for the sake of subsequent owners who may object to a remap and would be none the wiser otherwise. It's about basic consideration.