Facelift Which path is better?

VWNCC

Reaction score
Which path do you recommend?

Note: I currently own a pre-facelift A3 2.0T quattro S-line with standard suspension.

Path A) Trade into a facelift S3.

Path B) Get Bilstein B12 (Eibach springs + Bilstein B8 shocks) for my current car

There is no path C...

Thanks!

I think I would go with this path for sure if my country offered Navarra Blue...sigh.... I am not sure if I can stand Ara Blue......

BTW, I always have the suspicion that the facelift models are better built and more reliable....is that true?

If you can afford it buy new.If not then go down Rob's route and mod the hell out of it....lol

Reactions: Scottyg, SJ43 and Rob2k68
If you can afford it buy new.If not then go down Rob's route and mod the hell out of it....lol

LoL A then B six months later. Think I'm on W now !!

Reactions: airbus319, Scottyg, SJ43 and 2 others
Bit of a strange question really.
If you want something that becomes difficult to sell, has cost you a fortune and still isn't the real thing, mod your car.
If you want to do the sensible thing buy an S3

Reactions: SJ43
S3 if funds allow

A3 2.0T Pre-facelift? Where you from mate? Didnt get these in Europe (certainly not in the UK)

Your enjoyment from what is basically the same car as you have just now,ie a face lift, in my opinion the buzz would be short lived,as,most know on here my thoughts about modifying....lol...content yourself and wait for some all new model...Audi have a few coming out next year.....basically that's the reason why l have'nt ordered a face lift car...

Reactions: Rob2k68 and pburv
Thank you everyone for the response. Fund is probably not an issue as the resale value of my current car is pretty high. However, I am only concerned about 2 things for the FL model:

1) The default setting of Automatic Start-Stop
2) Color choice

S3 if funds allow

A3 2.0T Pre-facelift? Where you from mate? Didnt get these in Europe (certainly not in the UK)

Yes, I am not from Europe...Our market (North America) has the 220 hp 2.0T quattro for the pre-facelift A3.

Your enjoyment from what is basically the same car as you have just now,ie a face lift, in my opinion the buzz would be short lived,as,most know on here my thoughts about modifying....lol...content yourself and wait for some all new model...Audi have a few coming out next year.....basically that's the reason why l have'nt ordered a face lift car...

Deep under, I definitely have the same thought, why am I paying ~half the price of a new car to trade in for almost the same car...

Reactions: pburv
To stick to your comment "There's no path C" and therefore not going completely off tangent telling you to buy a completely different car then the answer is strikingly obvious... A

Reactions: Rob2k68
To stick to your comment "There's no path C" and therefore not going completely off tangent telling you to buy a completely different car then the answer is strikingly obvious... A

Just curious, what would be a good path C?

I need a compact German 4-door car........

Just curious, what would be a good path C?

I need a compact German 4-door car........
I like the S3 (and should get mine in less than 2 weeks) so not the best person to recommend something else in the same categorie :)
However going up and less compact this is nice! lol

Reactions: Jassyo06 and pburv
I like the S3 (and should get mine in less than 2 weeks) so not the best person to recommend something else in the same categorie :)
However going up and less compact this is nice! lol

Gotcha, I am on the same boat...

S5 and S7 are beyond what I am willing to pay for a car. Besides, I am not a fan of their size.

If auto stop start bothers you that much, one press of a button on start up cancels it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Would I be happier with the S3 standard suspension or the A3 with Eibach prokit springs + Bilstein B8 shocks?

I want an optimized level of handling/comfort.

Would I be happier with the S3 standard suspension or the A3 with Eibach prokit springs + Bilstein B8 shocks?

I want an optimized level of handling/comfort.

Such a subjective question I would imagine the only way is to find a contributor with the setup you seek and get a runout in it. If you want the best of both worlds in a new S3 I would suggest you need to spec mag ride.

I have mag ride on my car. I can't comment on how they compare to an aftermarket setup but I can say that you do notice a difference in the three settings on the mmi...Dynamic being the best setting in my opinion..:friends:

Reactions: Rob2k68
I have mag ride on my car. I can't comment on how they compare to an aftermarket setup but I can say that you do notice a difference in the three settings on the mmi...Dynamic being the best setting in my opinion..:friends:
I agree, get magride and you can set it for how you want to drive.

Reactions: SpeedyFrog, Rob2k68 and pburv
OP do you have the launch 2015 A3 that was before the sport suspension was made available?

C. Wait for the 2018 RS3 sedan then decide, S3 is too middle of the road and only provides marginal improvements in HP.

A3 - 220HP -- > S3 - - 292 HP -> - - RS3 - - 400HP

OP do you have the launch 2015 A3 that was before the sport suspension was made available?

C. Wait for the 2018 RS3 sedan then decide, S3 is too middle of the road and only provides marginal improvements in HP.

Marginal improvements maybe?....but a huge jump in price...S3 saloon circa £35000....RS3 saloon estimated £50000 plus??

Marginal improvements maybe?....but a huge jump in price...S3 saloon circa £35000....RS3 saloon estimated £50000 plus??
yeah, but the price would be like buying a new base A3 if he trades in his in A3 at the point of sale.
+Audi loyalty discount
+some good haggling.

and he'll probably walk away with a very affordable RS3 sedan.

Yes, I have the launch 2015 A3 that does not have the sport suspension. The issue is, I am not really into hp. I find the A3 220 hp sufficient. Can I use the 292 hp of the S3, probably, but don't really crave for it. However, I would like the S3 exhaust.and black optics.

Such a subjective question I would imagine the only way is to find a contributor with the setup you seek and get a runout in it. If you want the best of both worlds in a new S3 I would suggest you need to spec mag ride.

I have tried the S3 with mag ride and standard suspension, but not back to back. I find the S3 with mag ride on dynamic very firm but not harsh. That's why I am curious whether going with the B12 kit will be even better. Even if it is as good, it will be a good alternative that I don't have to compromise on color and stupid start-stop.

I think the OP is going to stick and mod, regardless of opinions on this thread.

I think the OP is going to stick and mod, regardless of opinions on this thread.

lol...I actually lean towards getting the S3. It all depends on the stupid start-stop button right now.

lol...I actually lean towards getting the S3. It all depends on the stupid start-stop button right now.

You're not really leaning towards anything if you'll allow start-stop to be a reason not to lean that way.

Why let such a small thing (that can be disabled anyway) put you off an entire car?

You're not really leaning towards anything if you'll allow start-stop to be a reason not to lean that way.

No, I am leaning towards it with the assumption that the default is "last mode". I don't know what the default is going to be in the north american market.

Why let such a small thing (that can be disabled anyway) put you off an entire car?

The start-stop thing is actually not a small thing by my books. If they don't have the "last mode" default, it is a deal breaker to me.

Also, upgrading to the S3 isn't very big to me either, so it doesn't take a lot to stop that path. That said, I still prefer to go S3 because I will have new warranty again, don't have to deal with aftermarket install, and the facelift is probably going to be more reliable long term.

I can confirm it is default ON in the UK for you. Not sure about North America though

I can confirm it is default ON in the UK for you. Not sure about North America though

Thanks. I suspect it probably will be as well, but I can only hope. I should be able to test one in a month or two anyways.

Too bad VCDS doesn't work on the FL...otherwise it is okay....sigh....