Facelift Which pin is the Ambient Lighting pin in the front door modules?

q2us3r

Reaction score
Hi all, hoping to retrofit some pocket lights to the door cards this weekend (A3 2018). was wondering if anyone knew what pins I need to tap into in the door modules? I believe Pin 5 is earth, but which pin is the ambient lighting? (I have already enabled ambient lighting via VCDS in the door modules, just need to figure out which pin powers it). Thanks all!

q2us3r
This is from an old thread that I saved. I think it answers your question.

Mike

It seems Pin 8 is the correct pin, thank-you, just need to figure out how to activate it. Turning the bit on on the door module with VCDS does not seem to be be enough (i.e. the pin has no power). Some comments on other threads suggest that this pin will not be activate unless you have the interior lighting package from factory, i.e. that the door module require a specific software to be loaded onto it - if so I might just need to connect it directly to one of the door switches.

Hi all, hoping to retrofit some pocket lights to the door cards this weekend (A3 2018). was wondering if anyone knew what pins I need to tap into in the door modules? I believe Pin 5 is earth, but which pin is the ambient lighting? (I have already enabled ambient lighting via VCDS in the door modules, just need to figure out which pin powers it). Thanks all!
Have you thought about taking a feed from the window switch illumination?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Have you thought about taking a feed from the window switch illumination?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Yes, that is certainly an option - the nice thing about connecting it to pin 8 of the door module (if you can be activated) will be that you can control the brightness via the MMI, but yes, if all else fails I will be connecting it to the illumination wires of one of the door switches.

I think your problem may be that you need to activate the MMI menu options relating to interior lighting in order to control the state of the ambient lighting pin. There was a long thread a while back which included the vcds coding details for doing this. The title was:

Retrofit puddle lights & door warning lights to 8V - help please​

You should be able to find this using the search function. I’m sure there is a way of providing a direct link, but I don’t know how to do this I’m afraid.

Oops. Wrong thread. Lots of useful info about door lights in thread I referred to, but the info on coding for MMI is in this thread:

A3 8V Removing J519 T46b in Attempt to install Footwell and Cupholder Lights​

HTH

I got A3 8V sport trim, had No interior lights apart from dome. I activated door ambient pins using vagcom and ambient/cupholder/footwell pins on BCM and got MMI control. I will attach coding link below. You will have to search a bit to see if Facelift has any difference.

Front doors Ambient Pin 8
Rear doors Ambient Pin 3, if you have door modules in rear doors

IMG 20210621 231245

Reactions: Sve
I got A3 8V sport trim, had No interior lights apart from dome. I activated door ambient pins using vagcom and ambient/cupholder/footwell pins on BCM and got MMI control. I will attach coding link below. You will have to search a bit to see if Facelift has any difference.

Front doors Ambient Pin 8
Rear doors Ambient Pin 3, if you have door modules in rear doors

View attachment 244683
Hi,
I’m wondering if you could help please.
im trying to code and wire up the cup holder to control through MMI
All menus are visible through MMI
Footwell lights all working
Cup holder light not working on pin 2 connector block T47B ( 8v has xenon’s)
For some reason my ambient 1,2,3,4,5 has no control on light functions either I’m wondering if I’ve missed a step or do I pin the cup holder light else where ?

Thanks