Which provides better audio streaming? Bluetooth or Audi connect over wifi?

scoss

Reaction score
Just seen that my car 8v has the tech pack. I was all set to buy the AMI lighting cable for my iPhone as I'm aware that the music quality it still better over cable then Bluetooth. I have seen that I can wirelessly connect and stream music over the car wifi feature.
Is the streaming quality better over wifi compared to Bluetooth? Also can I now stream apps such as soundcloud over wifi?

Thanks

Reactions: illingworth22
Ive played around with most options and the simplest and easiest and best quality IMO was to put my music onto a 64GB SD card and play from there.

Reactions: Rob2k68
This may be the case for other music options. I use Apple Music though so won't be able to download on a SD card. Everything has to be via my phone.

Reactions: Rob2k68
This may be the case for other music options. I use Apple Music though so won't be able to download on a SD card. Everything has to be via my phone.[/QUOTE
Oh well you win some and loose some. I'm sure someone on here will be able to answer you questions.

I'd be interested to know if it is even possible to access Apple Music via Audi Connect Wifi. I cannot access Google Play Music on my Android phone, even when playlists are downloaded locally. Bluetooth works fine, but the quality via bluetooth is disappointing IMO.

I've just looked on the MMI app and it states that you can't play Apple Music tracks via Audi connect on wifi.

Hey folks

I'm sure (could be wrong) that I used to be able to use the MMI controller to scroll songs via my bt connected iPhone 6. Moving into albums/artists and back out etc.

However, since updating to iOS 9.32 I can only use the forward and back button, no other navigation.

So, can't move to a different artist.

I've unpaired and deleted the device etc and repaired - no luck.

MMI restart - no luck.

My only other option is to use wifi via Audi Connect but we all know that is flakey.

Since getting my car I've just used BT which has been fine. To be honest once i play from a playlist I hardly need to touch my phone so this lack of control is not an issue for me. I've noticed that album art sometimes works and others not which is odd. It can change from track to track. I use Apple Music so the MMI app is a no go for me.

I've streamed music from my iPhone6, but the volume is very low compared to when I plug it into the MMI cable. No idea why, but it is.

Apple Music over bluetooth is great, even displays cover art and track name, something quite a few manufacturers don't seem to be capable of.

Someone mentioned the volume being low. I make sure my iPhone volume is max and then the normal volume is in sync with the car, for me this is around 20-23. I have to say I am impressed with the B&O system. However I've noticed that music from the jukebox or SD does sound better then BT as you would expect. However the convenience with BT is too great.

Apple Music over bluetooth is great, even displays cover art and track name, something quite a few manufacturers don't seem to be capable of.

Blame Apple. Its why a lot of us IT/Telecoms techies don't like Apple

I think he was commenting on the car manufacturers, not Apple :)

As an IT manager, our team love Apple.

Deployment and asset management is superb.

I know he was. Apple are good at marketing and copying others ideas.

I work freelance in mobile telcos. Trust me, Apple are a nightmare to use unless you stay within the Apple eco system. Funnily enough Apple don't make every type of device on the planet eg cars, printers. The closed ecosystem is a nightmare to work with. Took my wife 20 mins to be able to print from her ipad due to various apple closed ecosystem related issues. Took my <5 seconds on my samsung devices.

Plus Apple make a standard device, a usb charge cable, then slap on a pointless connector and charge mugs £30 for the privilege. Meanwhile, Samsung genuine cables are less than £2. Apple tech is 2 years behind Android.

The big advantage Apple have is that they device are built ground up with the firmware.

Until last year, Apple iphones were made of 26% Samsung tech, then they switched processor due to the law suit. New processors arent great so they are rumoured to be going back to samsung

Last edited:
Post above - replace Apple with Audi ;)

Apple get it right for IT professionals - consistency and a closed environment which makes life for an IT manager so easy versus android.

Back on topic, as I said, Audi wifi is just too unstable to be usable but audio quality is better vs BT

Edit - I rarely stream now. iPod connected

Last edited:
Reactions: James_TDi