Which s3 exhaust for best sound

Morph1ous

Reaction score
Hi guys, first let me apologise. Yes I know it has been discussed many times about which exhaust to buy, but I have searched and searched and still can't find the answer I'm looking for.

I have an s3 superchipped to 310bhp and a revo induction kit.
What I'm after is an exhaust with a raspy tone. I'm not bothered about performance, and certainly don't want any booming (or at least very little ). Sound clips on YouTube don't really have many answers. Slightly an unusual requirement I know as most people are after power gains.
And of course, one that doesn't cost the earth would be nice.
Cheers guys.

I had a full Miltek resonated exhaust on my S3 - I thought it sounded great even with the resonated section. I think if it was non-resonated it would be too boomy

If you have gone to the lengths of having the car remapped and stage 1 tuned then you may as well get the right exhaust - nothing sounds worse than a nasty loud sounding car - my opinion of course.

I have had loud exhausts on cars I have bought in the past, and never bothered to take them off as I didn't do many miles. My S3 was re-mapped when I bought it, and I added the induction kit - again for the noise, but I heard an S3 the other day, and it just had that "noise", and I want it.

If you want the best of the best for your S3 8P then it's handsdown the BCS Powervalve TBE, no other manufacturers product can even compare nowadays.

There's countless BCS owners on here with various setups of which they've all been 5* reviews. Yes it's the most expensive option but you get what you pay for in terms of top quality materials, fitment, welding and service of which the likes of Miltek that are now produced in China don't come close.

Your best course of action would be to contact @BCS Nige or call him on 01744 610244 and he'll run through all of your options and explain in great detail as to why BCS is superior. As you're not after power gains then you don't really need the downpipe in all fairness which will cut cost by 40%, although it does help with the sound but it's mainly the cat-back, Nige will cover this though if you ask him.

Their Powervalve systems are boost actuated and so off boost sounds like OEM levels but then turns into an absolute animal on boost! They've also got a Helmholtz resonator fitted to erradicate drone which all other setups suffer from, particularly on the motorway.

I myself will be going for the BCS Powervalve WRC cat-back exhaust with carbon fibre tips, as well as the de-cat downpipe with heat wrap and the Powerflex mount :smilingimp:

Last edited:
Reactions: samuelh_888
BCS by far.

I've had a Milltek on mine but changed over to a custom BCS exhaust at the last round of work on my car.

It really does sound awesome....quiet and no drone when cruising and a real rasp under hard acceleration.

Thanks guys, I do like the idea of the BCS, although not so the price, but I am yet to enquire. Can anyone comment how these sound on a manual car? All I've seen is videos of DSG.

Reactions: S3Alex
Thanks guys, I do like the idea of the BCS, although not so the price, but I am yet to enquire. Can anyone comment how these sound on a manual car? All I've seen is videos of DSG.

If you'd asked me a few months ago....

Mines just been given a DSG transplant.
I'm sure you won't be disappointed with it....the quality is excellent and the sound is perfect.

Got the BCS exhaust myself. Good for making people think wtf is that (love the crackle/echo on DSG Change in tunnels) but overall I wouldn't say its a pleasurable sound. (May sound completely different outside the car). If I did it again I would try a different exhaust. I just don't want to rev it everywhere to hear it.
Milltek may give you the sound your after but there's reports of crap build quality.

BCS do offer non-powervalve systems, so it's worth speaking to Nige. Our cars have pretty decent noise insulation, so driving with windows down is the way to hear it. That is unless you want a really loud exhaust, which is when it's still worth speaking to Nige.

I would also not call BCS that much more expensive when you look at the other products on the market. Miltek are not the only alternative, but if you look at overall value for money (service, lifetime warranty, quality, etc) BCS smash it... Simple as that.

I've read way too many stories about shoddy work from Miltek, whereas BCS have an impeccable reputation for good reason.

Reactions: HHS3 and S3Alex
Got the BCS exhaust myself. Good for making people think wtf is that (love the crackle/echo on DSG Change in tunnels) but overall I wouldn't say its a pleasurable sound. (May sound completely different outside the car). If I did it again I would try a different exhaust. I just don't want to rev it everywhere to hear it.
Milltek may give you the sound your after but there's reports of **** build quality.

Got the powervalve on mine with the valve clamped open slightly all the time so you don't have to rev the balls off it to get the sound. Just goes from slightly loud to insanely loud when the valve fully opens.

Second video is with the valve not clamped open so how it'll from from bcs

That's mine on a manual, pops and bangs quite a lot.

The WRC option sounds like the one for the thread author, will give a rally type rasp sound

Reactions: HHS3
This clamp you speak of just keeps the valve on the Powervalve system permantly open then I take, as with the butterfly valve delete on the stock exhaust? Is this clamp provided by BCS themselves? With the clamp in place, does this not effectively make it a non-powervalve system or is it still a different setup compared to one of those?

Sorry for all the question! I just want to make sure I go for the correct seup for when the time comes, I've currently got the de-cat WRC Powervalve TBE in mind.

Reactions: S3Alex
This clamp you speak of just keeps the valve on the Powervalve system permantly open then I take, as with the butterfly valve delete on the stock exhaust? Is this clamp provided by BCS themselves? With the clamp in place, does this not effectively make it a non-powervalve system or is it still a different setup compared to one of those?

Sorry for all the question! I just want to make sure I go for the correct seup for when the time comes, I've currently got the de-cat WRC Powervalve TBE in mind.
Around 20% open all the time yea so most of the sound still passes through the rear silencer which stops it droning. Was reccomend by BCS yeah a lot of people use them on the BMW systems apparently

Reactions: HHS3
Were abouts its the butterfly delete located on stock exhaust?

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaine19