Which screen wash?

777GE90

Reaction score
Got my screen wash light come on for the first time so looking to buy some, was curious whether it matters which screen wash I use? I was going to give this Rain X water repellent one to see how well it works (if at all): https://www.halfords.com/motoring/s...ain-x-5l-ready-to-use-screen-wash-724322.html - but reading through the reviews apparently it damages the screen wash sensors in some cars, resulting in permanent screen wash warning symbol in the DIS - not sure how true it is but would rather not risk.

I guess my alternative is this one: https://www.halfords.com/motoring/s...lfords--15°c-ready-mix-screenwash-457694.html - anyone had any issues with this?

Never tried these but i use this one on all our cars.

really good, never frozen, clears the screen without any streaks or smears and smells nice too.

Reactions: 777GE90
I use rainX on the windscreen of a vintage car but does not work well if you try to use windscreen wipers with it, have to let the wind do its thing so curious to see what a rainX screenwash would be like. I might have to try that on something one day.

At the moment I use this one from Motul, purely because it smells of apples :sm4:

Cheers,

Guy

Reactions: 777GE90
Screen-wash, pretty sure it's all the same. I don't particularly like the heavy scented ones. You're meant to be cleaning your windscreen, not having a shower for the Lynx effect! We still have a bit of a frost, so something with lower freezing temperature is useful. I never buy the ready to use, it's always undiluted.

Decent wipers (Bosch is my preferred brand). Rain-X yes, but prepare screen first with Autoglym glass polish with a damp cloth, then dry off with a microfibre. If you want to get really extreme you can get G1 and G2 windscreen products (nonotech glass polish). Never used them so can't comment.

I always just used Holts Extreme conc and mixed it to suit the season, now that has been replaced by Prestone again only ever bought as conc and diluted to suit the time of year.
Clearalex (sp) used to be a favourite, with some meths added for use in winter, but that came as powder so ended up being very effective but messy - and maybe not suitable for fine spray bars as modern cars tend to have.

Never tried these but i use this one on all our cars.

really good, never frozen, clears the screen without any streaks or smears and smells nice too.

My Mrs. complains about the smell of this stuff to no end. Says it smells of a rotten apple lost under the seat. I don't mind it, and it cleans just fine, but I did have it freeze up over the winter once when it hit -5. I now use the VW/Audi (Quantum) stuff and it does clean better. Expensive though.

I've always used the genuine Audi screen wash plus I use the 2 part rainx that you have to apply in the proper way. Can't see that putting rainx in the screen wash bottle would either work particularly well or be any good for the system...

I've always used the genuine Audi screen wash plus I use the 2 part rainx that you have to apply in the proper way. Can't see that putting rainx in the screen wash bottle would either work particularly well or be any good for the system...
Are you sure that it is not just a RainX branded product that was originally mentioned, and not RainX as for applying directly to glass screens?

I've got 2 rainx bottles, one clear that has the special rainx glass cleaner and the the other one is yellow which is the repellent formula, the latter one is applied and then buffed off with then another application which after buffing off the majority I drip a small amount of water on the glass and then buff off dry.
I have had these two bottles for years as they have lasted an age lol! So it may be an outdated system by now....prehaps I should nip along to the next edition of antiques roadshow with them :grin:

• Haha
Reactions: rum4mo
I've got 2 rainx bottles, one clear that has the special rainx glass cleaner and the the other one is yellow which is the repellent formula, the latter one is applied and then buffed off with then another application which after buffing off the majority I drip a small amount of water on the glass and then buff off dry.
I have had these two bottles for years as they have lasted an age lol! So it may be an outdated system by now....prehaps I should nip along to the next edition of antiques roadshow with them :grin:
Oh I think that I could match you there with the small yellow bottle, just had to buy it many many years ago!

I've always stuck with the Audi screen wash because it's recommended to prevent blocked jets, probably old news now and most screen wash will be fine! I do have the Rain-X screen cleaner that i use after a was and it does the same as the small yellow bottle. Pretty good stuff!