Which VCDS cable do I buy?

Wu11ie

Reaction score
Looking through eBay and the prices are all over the place, some look decent some look rubbish lol, can anyone tell me what to buy?

I've already got the software, I just need the cable.

Thanks in advance.

The ebay cables are fake and could cause you to brick your ecu.
Buy the genuine cable.
And the software is free with all updates and help from Ross-tech with the genuine cable.

The ebay cables are fake and could cause you to brick your ecu.
Buy the genuine cable.
And the software is free with all updates and help from Ross-tech with the genuine cable.
I've got the software, I'm just hesitant about spending £200 on a cable :(

Well the genuine cable won't damage your car's ecu or any other module in it.

I can vouch for this!

I used a friends fake £50 ebay's finest cable and did some mods. Majority worked apart from when I tried to adjust the 'coming home light on' time - adjusted it from the standard to something like 1 minute: after hitting save and confirm; I got a load of lighting errors on my dash.. No lights were working at all. Tried to default the change but it wasn't having it.

Audi had to change the lighting control module. Obviously I didn't tell them I was messing with it and they luckily changed it under warranty.

I agree with you, I don't understand how a cable can differ and one can damage and one is fine, but I have first hand experience of a cheap cable doing serious irreversible damage

DO NOT BUY CHEAP CABLES. Either fork out for the proper one or go see someone who already has one and throw them some beers

I can vouch for this!

I used a friends fake £50 ebay's finest cable and did some mods. Majority worked apart from when I tried to adjust the 'coming home light on' time - adjusted it from the standard to something like 1 minute: after hitting save and confirm; I got a load of lighting errors on my dash.. No lights were working at all. Tried to default the change but it wasn't having it.

Audi had to change the lighting control module. Obviously I didn't tell them I was messing with it and they luckily changed it under warranty.

I agree with you, I don't understand how a cable can differ and one can damage and one is fine, but I have first hand experience of a cheap cable doing serious irreversible damage

DO NOT BUY CHEAP CABLES. Either fork out for the proper one or go see someone who already has one and throw them some beers
I'm trying to get somebody to do it but I'm not having much luck. I don't mind paying as I wouldn't ask anyone out of their way for nothing.

Fingers crossed somebody can help :)

It's not the cable it is the plug with all the brains in it you pay for.
Also with a genuine cable you will get all the support you need if you get it wrong from Rhoss tech as well.
It will save you money and when you no longer need it you will get most of your money back selling it on.

@NHN is the site supplier of genuine VCDS cables, the options you get on there are alot more indepth than the non genuine ones, you can do full logging and modifiying using the genuine cable, not sure how it works, but it does.

I have an ebay one but that is literally for fault code finding and clearing, anything more and you need a proper cable for it.

It maybe alot of money initially, but the pros and benefits of having it can easily make your money back.

Contact NHN for a genuine vcds cable. Iv just bought one off him. Aswell I was a bit worried about spending £250 on a cable but I'd rather get a genuine one which I know will work properly than buy a fake.

Plus, of course, no one would be foolish enough to try and promote the sale or purchase of counterfeit goods here on the forum would they? :)

Reactions: Cambaines and Nilz