Facelift Whining/grating/rattling noise on cold start-ups

Daveotto

Staff member
Reaction score
anyone experienced the above or know what the cause is on an S3 or other.

Happens on cold starts only and lasts for maybe 2-3 seconds, and is maybe getting worse or I am noticing it more

Forum search referenced it as a “secondary air pump” whatever that is? But was not confirmed

S3 saloon as sig, 4 months old and just short of 4000 miles

3 degrees up here this morning mate on start up just a slight whining from the engine as it fires up nowt else

Reactions: Andy F and Daveotto
3 degrees up here this morning mate on start up just a slight whining from the engine as it fires up nowt else

Did you get Diana Ross with any of them degrees?

My wife even norlticed the whining the other day so it can’t be her.

Reactions: Andy F, AudiNutta, Audi Bairn and 2 others
Did you get Diana Ross with any of them degrees?

My wife even norlticed the whining the other day so it can’t be her.

Fell in te that one..... Eh.... Lol

Eh.... Thought it was the wives that do the whining now you have 2 whiners lol

Reactions: Audi Bairn
2 whiners, that’s almost a whole bottle, just as well it’s the weekend

Reactions: Jassyo06
I read somewhere on here that it was the power steering pump/motor or fuel pump priming. Can't remember.
I can't find the thread but there were two youtube videos and the sound was exactly the same as the noise my car gives out

Last edited:
Reactions: Daveotto and Jassyo06
I read somewhere on here that it was the power steering pump/motor or fuel pump priming. Can't remember.
I can't find the thread but there were two youtube videos and the sound was exactly the same as the noise my car gives out

I had the same recollection but like you could not find the thread, if no one else on here can enlighten us more I will give the local Audi garage a call and take it in when I get some time

Reactions: Jassyo06
If you get a chance, record the noise and I'll see if it's the same as mine

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Daveotto
The S3s do seem to have a strange whine to them when they start up and they are cold, almost like a 'whirring' or 'whizzing' sound but it is totally normal.