Whistle when being revved

Nard666

Reaction score
Hi i have a whistle when being revved (it's all the time but more noticeable at at 2,000 rpm upwards) a mechanic said it's probably just a split pipe from the turbo taking in air (though he did only listen not actually look) is there any easy way to find it? Please help as I'm saving for my wedding so can't afford to take it to a garage my car is a audi a6 c6 4f 3.0 tdi quattro bmk engine
Thanks

So it's not load dependent or is it louder under load.

The turbo inlet pipes are on the rear left hand side of the engine as is the airbox, could be one of the pipe joints (jubilee clips) so you'd need a screwdriver.

You need to remove the engine cover to access them.

The airbox fittings are a bit more fiddly, if they haven't been refitted correctly (quite possible) then it could also whistle here if there is a small gap.

Well the engine seems a bit noisier than normal on idle but doesn't have a whistle till the accelerator is pressed and the whistle gets louder at higher revs than at lower revs but doesn't need to be driven to get the whistle, yeah i had a patch of oil around the intake damper so I thought maybe the problem was that the damper gasket was no good so I changed it and it didn't solve the whistle problem whilst I had the pipes off for access to it i also changed the air filter as i need to service the car but need to focus my money on this problem first i will check that I have definitely sealed it all back up right tomorrow i have noticed that piece of pipe before the airbox running into the intake scoop itself doesn't make a good seal but doesn't seem to fit together well enough to seal seems to not be quite the right shape? I have noticed that the engine does seem to be louder than i think it normally be at the opposite side of the turbo (output end)
Thanks for your response, someone did say maybe try running around the system with a strip of paper and see the paper blows around but I need to grab a mate when possible so they can push the accelerator hopefully then i might be able to hear more where it's coming from too

The turbo inlet pipes are on the rear left hand side of the engine as is the airbox, could be one of the pipe joints (jubilee clips) so you'd need a screwdriver.

The airbox fittings are a bit more fiddly, if they haven't been refitted correctly (quite possible) then it could also whistle here if there is a small gap.
Hi i have found that where the intake duct goes into the top section of the manifold flaps there appears there is possibly a gasket gone noted by fluid around this area, is it possible that the whistle could come from this area??
Thanks

Hi i have found what is probably a gasket gone (noted by oil)at the point that the intake duct meets the top section of the manifold flaps is it possible that the whistle could be coming from here??
Thanks

Hi i have found what is probably a gasket gone (noted by oil)at the point that the intake duct meets the top section of the manifold flaps is it possible that the whistle could be coming from here??
Thanks

Possibly, check if any of the bolts need tightening, if not, change the gaskets and find out.

Ok thank you i will do that then, trouble is i need to do manifold flaps and change my glowplugs too but the weathers been up and down so I'm not sure I will get a chance to do. all that in one hit too