White smoke and a rough idle?

Abz99

Reaction score
hi all, I've got an Audi A3 1.6, nearly at the end of my tether with it to be honest. 3 weeks ago I was leaking coolant, added some k seal and it didn't leak anymore, 2 weeks ago my heating stopped working, still blows ice cold as per the a/c but the actual heat doesn't come out when I set it on HI. Last week white smoke started to come out of the back, rough idle throughout the drive too, bad eggy smell so decided it must've been the spark plug, scanned it and it said cylinder 1 misfire, changed all the plugs and happy days, no more rough idling. Smoke has dramatically reduced. Just a few days ago, a lot of white smoke came charging out the exhaust like I had a mini shisha bar under my car, rough idling came back and the same cylinder 1 misfire detected. Decided to remove the spark plug cables whilst the engine was running and cylinder 1 didn't change, all the others fluctuated in idle, changed the spark plug wiring and that seemed to relax the violent engine shake and idling, smoke has reduced but still obvious when I accelerate. I don't lose anymore coolant, no milky white substance in the dipstick, spark plug 1 was burnt after a matter of a week so I changed that. White smoke smells of burning oil, Ive been told head gasket, someone else has said leaky injectors, someone else has said damaged piston rings. Any ideas how I could rule out any of these? Car is at 145000 miles and is a petrol manual 1.6. Have been contemplating an engine swap for a recon one however I really don't know where to go from here.

Any help is appreciated!

Head gasket by the sounds of it sorry to say.

I haven't had any white substance on the dipstick? Could it still be a head gasket despite that being a common clue?
Get Cylinder one presser checked and see if this is OK also check for spark on the plug as well.
The coolant maybe going onto the piston side not oil side and this is why no mayo.

Get Cylinder one presser checked and see if this is OK also check for spark on the plug as well.
The coolant maybe going onto the piston side not oil side and this is why no mayo.
There is spark on the plug, quite a strong bluey tint. I'll be sure to get that pressed checked. Cheers pal