White smoke anything to be concerned with?

Shogun

Reaction score
Hey guys, as I've not had my b8 long was just checking I'm not overlooking something
It's a 1.8 t and I've noticed (when it's cold) (but it's always cold) I get quite a lot of white smoke kicking out,
Noticeably more than other cars I notice when I'm stuck In traffic

I asked my mechanic and he said it's just condensation, but that was his thought, he hadn't looked at anything

Anything to worry about or keep an eye on?
Thanks lads

If it doesn't do it when warm then I wouldn't worry about it.
If it's really bothering you, get a compression/leak down test done.

Reactions: Shogun
Check the thread on TFSI Known Oil Consumption!

My car exhibited exactly the same thing but it's a 2.0T.

It's a sign it's burning oil and eventually mine went into limp mode due to a misfire on cylinder 2.

It's currently having the Pistons and rings done free of charge by Audi...

Reactions: Shogun
Interestingly I've noticed a larger than expected amount of white smoke from my S4 recently. I put it down to being cold outside and the fact it's got 2 exhaust boxes and 4 tailpipes, so more heat coming out.

I did check the oil level a few days ago and since I've had it (10 months) it's lost about 1/4 of the oil in about 6k miles. Not sure what's normal, i wouldn't usually expect to see much oil loss at all.....it's going in for an oil change next month so I'm not worried about it getting low, I'm more concerned if it's a sign of an issue that will hurt further down the line.

Anyone else had oil issues with the 3.0 V6T?

Anyone else had oil issues with the 3.0 V6T?
Not an issue as such, but my 2009 S4 does use oil. I would (estimate) that I use a litre every 4k to 5k, so I can live with this. It has used this amount at the same rate over the 37k miles of my ownership, and the engine is now at 109k and still going like the proverbial....................

Reactions: skiptowncat
I would have been happy with 4-5k during top ups! Try using a litre every 500-600 miles!!
Car just been fixed by Audi free of charge. Total cost around £5500

74k on mine, I see a lot of white smoke when cold but I haven't used any oil at all in 3k

Mine is a repaired 2.0tfsi and always smokes. Did before the piston change and after. Look at most petrol vag group cars and you will see them smoking at idle. Certainly less when warm but in the cold months it always smokes at idle. On the move it doesn't when warm.

My 2011 S4 also smokes / steams, especially when warming up. However even when warm I still seem to get more than other cars around me. I've put it down to the colder weather. I've asked others about it and they seem to have it also, so it appears to be quite common and thus probably nothing to worry about. Also when I'm sitting behind other Audis. they tend to put out more smoke / steam than others.

On the oil consumption front, my car has used about 1/4 of the oil on the indicator in 5k. My S3 used similar amounts of oil so again I dont see it as an issue.

If you're not using coolant, and the oil consumption isnt horrific (as it would be if you were burning oil) then the chances are that it is simply cold air vs hot air and you're simply seeing steam.

Thanks lads quite a bit of reassurance

I'm keeping an eye on the oil monitor thing In the computer and its got me at like 80% and has stayed there for the 2 month I've had the car so that seems normal to me?

I'll just put it down to cold weather :D

I'm glad I read this post because I've noticed my 1.8t smokes more than other cars when waiting at the lights lol.