White Smoke on WOT

jem.qu44tro

Reaction score
2007 2.0T fsi with 84k
The issue:
The car smokes whitish smoke under WOT, does not boost more than 4lbs and makes a popping noise followed by a plume of whitish smoke out of the rear if I keep foot on the throttle. I've figured out that all the oil I'm "burning" is finding its way into the intercooler piping and getting sucked up under hard boosting (car has no problem driving around in vacuum)

What I've figured out:
If I drain the intercoolers, the car boosts completely fine and pulls like a train for about a week until I try to go for a hard pull and get the smoke out of the rear.
I've checked the turbo for a leaking seal out of the downpipe and there's no oil residue. I've also checked for unusual shaft play, and nothing seemed abnormal

What could be happening:
The turbo seals are bad and allowing oil into the intercoolers?
Bad piston rings? Compression #'s, DRY, 164 ,155 , 155, 165/// WET, 174, 185,180,170
Valve Stem/Seals?
PCV related issue?
What Ive replaced:
I've replaced the Valve cover, which was cracked, as well as the gasket.
PCV check valve and gasket
Last thing I could replace would be the turbo breather hose, then onto the turbo. Just reluctant to purchase something so expensive and have the issue be something im missing.
Pics attached of the cracked valve cover and rear turbo housing
Any input would be appreciated, thanks for the read.

Attachments

• image_55415491.JPG
    image_55415491.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 62
  • image_6483441.JPG
    image_6483441.JPG
    302 KB · Views: 48
Turbo oil seals. I see it all the time on industrial engines. The fact that you're losing performance so quickly says to me that they're particularly knackered. To be honest, at 84k you may as well just get the turbo fully refurbished.

Turbo oil seals. I see it all the time on industrial engines. The fact that you're losing performance so quickly says to me that they're particularly knackered. To be honest, at 84k you may as well just get the turbo fully refurbished.
I bought the car at 71, the car was previously owned by an older lady, I don't think this thing saw this much abuse ever. Replacing the turbo very soon, if that doesn't fix the issue then the car would unfortunately get sold. It's my daily currently and I can't deal with rebuilding it. Thanks mate

Underloading a turbo can be just as harmful as thraping the crap out of it.
Yes, luckily haven't gotten an under boost faults/ bad under boosting constantly. Only when I let the oil buildup in the intercoolers.
I believe the reason the seal could have gone bad is due too improper installation of the DV. I was replacing timing belt/water pump and decided to regrease the piston on the DV while the front clip was off. I have the GFB DV+ and there is a small notch that the new piston assembly needs to seat into. I basically rushed and wasnt paying attention while installing it. Took me about 2 weeks to find out there was oil leaking from it. I'm assuming that since there was a gap on the DV it somehow created excessive pressure inside the turbo housing? Assuming the piston wasnt working correctly when boosting/in vacuum and was letting air through it or into the turbine housing.