Whooped by an Astra!!!

RAPS3

Reaction score
Website
www.google.co.uk
Ok I'm on the way out of town, when this Astra Sri Turbo pulls up next to me at the lights. He looks over and nods and I thought to myself, psh I'm not even going to waste my Optimax on you. Anyway he blasts off the lights and I just pulled away nice and gently. Into second gear and I though bolloxs to this and gave chase after him. By the time he'd reached the next roundabout I was on his tail and see ya past I go. Up to the next roundabout and he's history. This is when things started to go wrong. I accelerate out of the rb and he's right behind me, through all the gears and WTF he's still there.
By now my prides been battered and I slow down and accept defeat.
Oohh my God, I was beaten by a Vauxhall. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

After a couple of miles of thinking WTF happened there, I opened back up the throttle and something was definately amiss. Its was still quite quick initially but as the revs climbed the power went. Oh ****** I've broke it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

The next day I popped the bonnet to see if I could see anything that looked out of the ordinary. After a couple of minutes poking around and taking of the engine covers, BINGO. The DV was loose. Its a forge Dv, the ones that screws together. What had happened was the two main parts of the body of the DV had come loose somehow. I took it off and gave it a service and then screwed the ****** back up tight as hell.
Its now re-fitted and everythings hunky dory again.

I'm now officially Silver Vauxhall Astra Sri Turbo hunting.
45.gif

One of my mates has an Astra Coupe Turbo. They are actually very quick. Can keep with another friends 328i

Oh dear, not good Paul. You and Mark R have really let the side down recently. Your punishment...to race everything in sight for a week! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I was going to say though, either something must have been wrong with your car, OR his astra (assume you mean the new turbo one?) must have been chipped too.

AL

AL,

Thats what I thought initially, when he was keeping up with me. I was thinking to myslef they're only 200bhp, it must be chipped. In all of the excitement I didnt notice the decrease in power on my car, there was the same kick in the back that the MTM chip delivers. It was only after I gave up trying and decided to give it a good thrashing in disgust that I realised something was wrong. It just ran out of breath as the revs climbed, probably due to leaking boost from the dv.

I even got a copy of EVO out and looked at what the bhp and bhp/ton they are just to make sure. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif

If anyone has got a Forge DV, give it a once over just to make sure it hasnt come loose.

[ QUOTE ]
Your punishment...to race everything in sight for a week!

[/ QUOTE ]

I generally do anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Conditions permitting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

The problem these days, is that manufacturers such as Vauxhall / MG are sticking as much BHP as possible into there cars in order to just go fast. The S3 at £25k is increasingly looking underpowered in this BHP war. At least we know our car is not a Vauxhall /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The other problem is that the S3 weighs sooo much. Yes, we can whoop anything from lights, but once going, there is nothing in it, especially againts a FWD car with 200bhp.

I raced my mates CTR and I could not pull away a 80+, he was glued to my bumper and he was 2 up!

We are going to have to get used to the fact that we will receive some serious challanges from crap cars /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif.

Better learn how to drive faster boys... whens the next Santa Pod meet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
S3 Moff said:
... whens the next Santa Pod meet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

See Here!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Simply fit a 9mm semi auto recoiless to the front and rear bumpers, and magicaly the crappers can be dealt with. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif I HATE VAUXALLS /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

So your telling me that even tho you have a chipped S3 a 200bhp car can keep up? I'm looking to chip mine but i want better performance than that.

What litre are those Astra's and how many gears?

I must mention that a short while ago i was two's up with two set's of golf clubs and i lost a race against a Renault Clio 172 sport, i'm sure it was modified he also had a huge bore exhaust. But i was gutted and my mate was really winding me up..

Astra Tubbs are 2.0. 5 gears. One of my best mates has one. v.quick. They have long gears and pull hard to the rev limiter.

Im going to race him in the wet when I get my S3. lol

[ QUOTE ]
MingBluS3 said:
So your telling me that even tho you have a chipped S3 a 200bhp car can keep up? I'm looking to chip mine but i want better performance than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you read the thread you'll notice that R88per's car wasn't running properly. It was leaking boost. A chipped S3 would wee all over an Astra Turbo. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/****.gif

Christian

I toyed with a Focus RS before this bad experience with the Astra and /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/****.gif 'd all over it, so the answer to your question is no a 200 ish bhp car wont beat a chipped S3.

As I said in my original post it was leaking boost from the DV hence probably only running about 200bhp, that being why the Astra stayed with me.

I think I definately need a re-match just to put him back in his place /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif

Moff, Yeah I think its a turbo from what he said in his post above "tubby".
If it is chipped then bring it on, it should be more of an even match as mines MTM'd. Should be an interesting run up the 1/4 mile. (Wonder if my clutch holds out!)

I had a look at the tuning options for the Astra. Not good. Dont get anywhere near the 270bhp of a chipped S3. Dirty dirty vauxhall.

[ QUOTE ]
GavinH said:
One of my mates has an Astra Coupe Turbo. They are actually very quick. Can keep with another friends 328i

[/ QUOTE ]

thats cos 328s are slow nasty things too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

as an ex vauxhall man I can honestly say i think the Z20LET engine in the astra is pants, smaller turbo, pistons aren't "proper" forged.. no investment in tuners for "proper" tuning - just simple generic software upgrades. You can get about 240bhp out of them and about 260lb/ft but unless you do your own mods you wont get much better..

On that note

Ive got a V reg Astra sport and want to sell it anyone know any good sites??

Anybody with a bit off vauxhall knowlage tell me how much its worth??
v reg
1.8 16v
Sunroof
white dials (standard)
Sports seats
5 door
Silver
Alloys
60k ish

Thanks in advance

Hi guys and girls, it appears that there are a few cars that are causing problems with peoples egos /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif.

First - there is always someone with a faster car that yours.

Second - if you are in Berkshire, it will be a Black "M" reg Supra (whale fin spoiler, 4inch pipe and flickering brake lights (as if there arent many like that))

Anyway I went to overtake this chap on a dual carriageway after having a little poke to see what he had. I came to the conclusion that I had a "case" to put forward and found myself pulling alongside with relative ease and thought that was it. Supras go well anyway, but this boy looked across and then gassed me!!! He did'nt just pull away, it was like I slammed the anchors on! I like to see what cars have to offer, porsches, scooby's etc etc but this was plain naughty (especially when your motor is about to have a heart attack in the process).
My motor had its pants pulled down and was then given a good spanking. I laughed all the way home (could'nt do anything else!) I spoke to my mate who likes his motors, he reckons that this boy dumped about 300bhp of gas on me, no wonder he was laughing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Kev said:
Hi guys and girls, it appears that there are a few cars that are causing problems with peoples egos /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif.

First - there is always someone with a faster car that yours.

Second - if you are in Berkshire, it will be a Black "M" reg Supra (whale fin spoiler, 4inch pipe and flickering brake lights (as if there arent many like that))

Anyway I went to overtake this chap on a dual carriageway after having a little poke to see what he had. I came to the conclusion that I had a "case" to put forward and found myself pulling alongside with relative ease and thought that was it. Supras go well anyway, but this boy looked across and then gassed me!!! He did'nt just pull away, it was like I slammed the anchors on! I like to see what cars have to offer, porsches, scooby's etc etc but this was plain naughty (especially when your motor is about to have a heart attack in the process).
My motor had its pants pulled down and was then given a good spanking. I laughed all the way home (could'nt do anything else!) I spoke to my mate who likes his motors, he reckons that this boy dumped about 300bhp of gas on me, no wonder he was laughing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what we like to hear....not /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

That guy must get bored with blowing guys away like that, I like there to be a bit of a battle before winning.

Hehe fun! Although like Gambba says - no fun if you just press the NOS button and launch yourself!!!! Nice for there to be a bit of skill and battle involved!