Whoops... :-(

MarkTweedley

Reaction score
Got in the car this morning to set off for work hoping for a good day and the first thing I have to do is maneuvre to get out of where I'm parked at the house around 5 other cars, one in front of me with just enough space for me to go past, one to my right so no problem there and to my left some railway sleepers used to make some rather large plant pots. I'm already parked on a bit of a slope which means scraping the splitter on the way down but today was different...

No scraping sound of the splitter on the floor so I thought this was a bonus but then... scraping... not the splitter. I hadn't given myself enough room to turn left passed the sleepers and caught the bottom sill of my passenger door on the corner of one of the sleepers which ripped off the strip like panel just above it, (don't know what else to call it).

So the dilemma is...

The strip is a bit bent which I can hopefully straighten out but the sill is dented in and I'm wondering is there anyway this can be pushed back out? (Maybe a hammer and a block from behind). My omly worry is that with it being the sill, can I gain access to it or should I bite the bullet and take it to a bodyshop when funds allow? (Bit skint now after replacing turbo with genuine Garrett and also the freewheel pulley along with MOT and tax).

Thanks for reading.

damage1e.jpg

damage2m.jpg

that dont look too good, i guess as its the sill it wont be too noticeable, you could try and push it out but it doesn't look too promising due to the actual area that dent is. as you can see there is a crease just above the dent and trying to get the dent out may damage that shape on the bottom sill.

also can you refit the bottom door strip?

Not had chance to try and re-fit door strip yet. Got to bend it back in to shape first. Will probably be weekend before I get chance.

If I can't get it sorted I may need some sort of sideskirt.

isnt the strip part of the door? just wondering if that strip can be fixed or if you would need to replace the door? i have a dent in one of my rear doors in the same area and was thinking what the best fix would be

It is on plastic clips so in theory could clip back on. May need to replace clips though. Shame it wasn't drivers door really, that already has a scratch on it!

okies, thanks for that... hmm is there a part number on that strip? i am just thinking i would probably need to replace mine and ideally dont want to go getting a whole replacement door.

as for your issue even if you did get a skirt to cover the dent wont it still catch on the door if you had that strip fitted?

Hmm possibly could be pulled by someone with a proper dent puller I'd imagine (although don't quote me on that) as for the plastic strip if you can straighten it (you'll be very lucky though I'd imagine) then yeah replace clips and try it before paying out for new stuff.

Luckilly it doesn't catch on the door.

I'm hoping someone can tellme how to get behind the dent and knock it out as much as poss. Might just have to paint sills on both sides in gloss black to deter from the problem!

Hmm possibly could be pulled by someone with a proper dent puller I'd imagine (although don't quote me on that) as for the plastic strip if you can straighten it (you'll be very lucky though I'd imagine) then yeah replace clips and try it before paying out for new stuff.

Cheers Shane.

Will post progress and pics if/when I can do it.

Did something very similar last winter when I beached a MK4 Golf on a pile of ice. Pushed the sill in and scraped the stone chip protction. Bodyshop spot welded a rod/rods onto the dent then used a puller to pull the sill back into shape. Re-stonechipped and then painted. Doubt you get it fixed any other way as you can't get behind the panel.

Did something very similar last winter when I beached a MK4 Golf on a pile of ice. Pushed the sill in and scraped the stone chip protction. Bodyshop spot welded a rod/rods onto the dent then used a puller to pull the sill back into shape. Re-stonechipped and then painted. Doubt you get it fixed any other way as you can't get behind the panel.

Thanks for this. I think this or the chips away or similar will be best option.

Ok, so some good news...

Managed to bend the bottom door strip back into shape and araldited the clips so it held. Still got the damaged sill but will get a body shop onto that when funds permit. Will post pic tomorrow, looks better than I thought it would but still definitely needs the sill sorting professionally.

Cheers for advice etc peeps!

good on you mate! what did you use to bend it back?

Just did it by hand mate. Luckilly it hadn't creased or anything so to my eye's it's now straight again.

Only lost 1 clip as well so after aralditing the other clips that had got slightly damaged I was able to literally pop the strip back in place and with a little minor adjustment got it lined up properly.

Just a shame about the gap underneath where the sill has dented in.

Cheers

The little sill that is at the bottom of the door is not plastic, its metal and it bends very easily, so you should have no problem getting it back to its original shape.

The little sill that is at the bottom of the door is not plastic, its metal and it bends very easily, so you should have no problem getting it back to its original shape.

I think it's a bit of both but you're right, it was easy. Annoyingly need to spend money on a repair for something daft instead of something I wanted to spend on but that's life.