Why are the optional rotors wider at the front?

Caval4r

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have an A45 on order but having seen the price and spec list for the RS3 I'm really considering cancelling and going for this.

I'm checking through final specs for the car but I'm stumped as to why the black rotors are a half inch wider on the fronts and have a lower profile at 30 than the standard wheels.......anybody know the answer to this?

Cheers and hello!

Chris

More grip from the front with wider front tyres I presume

I have these on the MK1, they do make a difference

I think Audi offered them to quell the understeer, which makes me wonder if the MK 2 is being offered with the same option, then there must still be an issue.

That makes sense. I was worried they might be required to properly fill the wide arches at the front and if I didn't order them the stance wouldn't have been quite right.

I'm hoping other wheel options become available as I really don't like rotors. I suspect Audi have a warehouse full of them that they need to shift, hence it being the only option on the new RS3 at launch.

why do you say that when they are NOT the same rotors as currently found on other models?

OLD
exterior_alloy_wheels_01.png

NEW (made specifically for the new RS3... but eventually on all other models down the line as usual)
DSC4375.jpg

Reactions: Caval4r
I've got the 8.5J's on the front of mine and they do make a fairly big difference to understeer, its still there, just not as bad, it wouldn't be an Audi without it :)

Reactions: The Challinor
They are different, but the same somehow........

They clearly don't want to change them too much.

I actually really like them, I have never gotten to grips with this obsession with BBS CH's??

Reactions: Marshy and monopole