Why did my passenger window open when parked?

JAM35F

Reaction score
Hi guys, came back to my car in office car park this evening and the front passenger window was open. Just that one, no others.

I know if you accidently press the two buttons on the remote together all the windows open, but I'm conscious of this after it happened to me ages ago as I put the keys in my pocket. So I always walk away with them in my hand not touching the buttons.

Any idea why just the passenger window may have opened today? Luckily it didnt rain today, but the call was full of little flys.

Any thoughts?

did you knock the passenger window button on the driver side as you were getting out of the car?

I don't think so but can't say for sure. Takes a fairly precise amount of pressure to set it opening and no other windows were open on my journey in so I didnt close them to have gone near the switch.

Be good if it was my own fault.

No known reasons as to why it may happen? My own clumsiness is the cheapest to fix!

A couple of times I came back to mine and found the window down about 20mm on the drivers side. It stumped the Hell out of me but it's never happened since:wacko:

Mine was fully down. Hopefully it was me accidently hitting the switch but I'm sure I didnt... Any other ideas? If its not a known problem that is good as it must just be my fault.

Only been out to the car three times this evening to check! Paranoid - me? As if.

That happened to me the other day too, don't know if it is something to do with the remote. I cant make it do it again ! :wtf:

Might be an idea to check the Central Locking pump.
The pump also takes care of the Alarm and the Auto Closure of the electric windows.

If there is water ingress in the pump then that could affect the windows.
Check around the pump, it should be located in the right hand side of the boot. There is a water drain pipe from the sunroof that runs where the pump is located. If this is leaking it could affect the operation of the pump.
Another problem could be if the rear window seal is leaking. Water can track down to where the pump is located. This happened to my car! Strange things happening to the windows until the pump completly failed.
The electrical connections to the pump (3 in total) are at the top of the pump, check for water damage.

Hope this helps...
Jim.

If it was down a little bit, I'd put down the remote, holding button slightly too long, as every so often it did it on mine, only very slightly though, as at a distance, didn't know if it had unlocked, as no lights flashed, so held a bit longer.

But fully open, hope for a accident, guess you can only wait & see if it happens again

Thanks guys, I dont think I pushed the button too hard and normally this would open all windows rather than one.

Will have a check on the central locking pump thats mentioned. Hopefully its just my clumsiness as I got out of the car knocking the switch but will have a look around this weekend. Has made me paranoid, keep checking it. Off on honey moon in a week for three weeks so had better behave itself then, difficult to check it from Vietnam!

Thanks for all your help guys

Funny you should mention this, I went to hospital for a check up, came back to the car and the front passenger windows was fully down, I couldnt believe it at first. I thought it was my clumsiness hense why I didnt report it on here, now im beginning to think its an actual fault. Might have to check my window pump in the boot.

Has not happened again so I reckon it was just me hitting the switch, a tap takes the window all the way down.

I shall be watching my big clumsy fingers ! :whistle2:

afaik the pump cant control individual windows. There is just one UP and one DOWN wire from the CL pump to the window controller in the drivers door.

So if it was the pump it wouldnt have been just the one window.