Why do you hate the new A3/S3 8Y?

Ludus

Reaction score
I see this forum very much has a marmite love/hate attitude towards the new 8Y, in-fact I can see it all over the internet. So i'd like to start a discussion about what it is you hate/dislike about the new 8Y...

Personally, I love it! I think it's definitely an improvement over the 8V especially interior-wise. An 8V looks quite boring to me now, the new striking lines and aggressive front are a welcome refresh. I've owned an 8V and interior wise, the 8Y is far superior. Sure there's a little more plastic than the 8V but honestly it took some searching and it's not much more at all. The seats are much better and the MMI is far superior.

What are your thoughts?

Reactions: Jcbmally, Jassyo06 and AdamInKent
As you know, I own an edition 1.

I agree that some cutbacks have been made in the interior, but in the whole it is much more modern than the 8y.

When you sit in a 2019 model, the resolution on the screens are an obvious area where the 8y excels, plus I think the seats in the edition 1 are fabulous.

I think the main marmite aspect would be the exterior looks, not everyone likes the overstated aggressive sporty looks. I do, but I can understand the 8v was slightly more elegant in its subtler styling and that may put people off the 8y.

Reactions: Jcbmally, Ludus and AdamInKent
One thing I have disliked from the A3 both 8Y and 8V, is that considering it's a premium car, why do the lowest 2 specs 'Technik & Sport" even the 8V E-tron A3 only always have halogen rear lights? I mean the Golf, Scala, and Leon all have at least basic LEDs.

Reactions: Jcbmally
Something else that seems to get overlooked in this forum is that the reviews seem to agree that the 8Y’s suspension set-up is improved - particularly that the S-Line suspension is more comfortable over bumps - and that the new A3 is more engaging to drive.

Reactions: Jcbmally and Ludus
One thing I have disliked from the A3 both 8Y and 8V, is that considering it's a premium car, why do the lowest 2 specs 'Technik & Sport" even the 8V E-tron A3 only always have halogen rear lights? I mean the Golf, Scala, and Leon all have at least basic LEDs.

There’s no doubt that you get less kit as standard on the Audi. I guess it is in a price sector where, for a given amount of money, you can have better build quality / finish (Audi) or more equipment (Golf, etc), but not both.

Reactions: Jcbmally and pburv
I held my judgment until I seen both the sportback and saloon in the metal, both are awkward looking, bulky and sit way too high. And that’s before you get into the terrible interior quality. For the price point Audi are having a laugh charging a premium price for something that it not premium.

Reactions: Jcbmally, Bells, pburv and 3 others
I held my judgment until I seen both the sportback and saloon in the metal, both are awkward looking, bulky and sit way too high. And that’s before you get into the terrible interior quality. For the price point Audi are having a laugh charging a premium price for something that it not premium.

What would you say is terrible about it? I personally don't feel it's any worse than Mercedes but BMW is better material wise, however their interiors are dull and ugly imo.

Reactions: pburv and AdamInKent
What would you say is terrible about it? I personally don't feel it's any worse than Mercedes but BMW is better material wise, however their interiors are dull and ugly imo.

The quality is down compared to the previous model, I'm not going to pay more money for a lesser product.

I've driven an M135i, and an A35 AMG, the interior quality is better in both. I also prefer the hybrid touchscreen and button combination that Merc and BMW, I don't like the fully touchscreen route Audi have taken.

Reactions: CraigM, Jcbmally, Mr Freeze and 4 others
Us former and current 8V owners should remember this is the 8Y site and we have slated their pride and joy, myself included.

I think the issue for a lot is the design is marmite, lights look over sized and the interior is a drastic change in direction.

If the performance had been improved substantially, which it hasn’t, then the drop in quality wouldn’t be so focused on. Audi are charging an awful lot for a very similar car mechanically.

I personally much prefer the BMW interiors, possibly because they are more familiar, pure touch screen is dangerous on the move.

Reactions: Jcbmally, pburv, Snake Pliskin and 1 other person
I see this forum very much has a marmite love/hate attitude towards the new 8Y, in-fact I can see it all over the internet. So i'd like to start a discussion about what it is you hate/dislike about the new 8Y...

Personally, I love it! I think it's definitely an improvement over the 8V especially interior-wise. An 8V looks quite boring to me now, the new striking lines and aggressive front are a welcome refresh. I've owned an 8V and interior wise, the 8Y is far superior. Sure there's a little more plastic than the 8V but honestly it took some searching and it's not much more at all. The seats are much better and the MMI is far superior.

What are your thoughts?
The interior is definitely not a improvement mate yeah the seats have been improved on lower designated models but the seats are still the same ones on the higher designated models ....its just not good enough that dsg gear selector for a start... surrounded by high gloss black plastic, cheap and nasty looking door cards no illumination for the cup holders,B&O Speakers...could go on and on... its all about your own perceived opinion of what Audi quality is....this is my perception of Audi build quality
60b2ee760d778be65b01c0bb207d1f6f.jpg
60f9bcec77225c9e008a29e09c13732f.jpg
ae0e4fef5fe462a5b357b807de43f3b2.jpg

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk
15875fc7c9df871b22d3c311d97df9a3.jpg
8f3cef77702c11eb869921843b42d53b.jpg

bcbd34ac10264868709935db2caa23d3.jpg

Reactions: Jcbmally, pburv, FBF01 and 1 other person
Us former and current 8V owners should remember this is the 8Y site and we have slated their pride and joy, myself included.

I think the issue for a lot is the design is marmite, lights look over sized and the interior is a drastic change in direction.

If the performance had been improved substantially, which it hasn’t, then the drop in quality wouldn’t be so focused on. Audi are charging an awful lot for a very similar car mechanically.

I personally much prefer the BMW interiors, possibly because they are more familiar, pure touch screen is dangerous on the move.

The OP has asked the question mate...brave but he did ask it's not an bad car at all still stylish and modern looking but no advancements have been made over the 8v.....car makers are running of ideas and in Audis case with the 8y resting on the 8v's reputation and Dervgate has come at a cost to all new Audi car across the board not just the 8y

Reactions: Jcbmally, pburv and Flying Scotsman
I dislike the 8Y because I can see the outside of the car from the inside of the car. What type of quality and craftsmanship is that ?

Also think the headlights and grill aren't sized proportionally and I'm not a fan of touch screens I prefer to click buttons. The new seats aren't better than the Supersport seats in the 8V or the Recaro buckets you could get in the 8P.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jcbmally, pburv, JDHOWELLS and 1 other person
Coming from a 2016 Tdi ( 8v ) to a new Tdi ( 8y ) both S-Line trim . I must say as much as I liked my old car the new one is a much nicer car. Ok the seats in my old car half leather were probably more comfortable than the new ones but the ride in my new one is much better. The thing I prefer on my new car is it has painted alloys and not the diamond cut that looked awful after two winters ( no I didn’t curb them ).
I do wonder how many people who say they don’t like the 8y have actually driven or own one.

Reactions: Jcbmally, pburv, TYb and 2 others
I have to agree the 8Y is a step backwards in the interior, but what makes me dislike it as a whole, is the god awful fake vents in the cheapest naff plastic on the front and rear. Brings the whole car down, and is not what I'd expect from a premium brand. The front end styling is not my cuppa tea, its just a bit off to me.

...but no advancements have been made over the 8v..

It’s worth remembering that there is new tech that can’t be seen. All trims include active crash prevention systems which require radar and a forward looking camera with image processing. They all include car 2X and an always-on internet connection with auto calling of emergency services in the event of an accident. Even the cheapest trim includes Virtual Cockpit. The 8Y introduces mild hybrid tech with the S-Tronic and better fuel efficiency throughout the whole range. And software can (or will, hopefully) update over the air and allow new features to be added after the point of sale (just like a Tesla, sort of.)

All this new tech, and the larger amount of software that runs it, has to be paid for, and one of the compromises is some cheaper trim which, BMW aside, is a trend in this segment. At least they kept the bonnet gas strut ;-D (It’s been removed from the new Golf).

I agree that the piano black trim is a bit rubbish, but unfortunately it seems to be in fashion at the moment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jcbmally, pburv and Ludus
I wish I’d known this before I paid extra for diamond cut alloys! Anyone else have this problem?
I've also ordered the diamond cut alloys, I reckon regular cleaning and alloy wheel treatment should hopefully do the trick.

Reactions: Jcbmally, pburv and AdamInKent
I've also ordered the diamond cut alloys, I reckon regular cleaning and alloy wheel treatment should hopefully do the trick.

Yea you need to make sure you go to a car wash that uses the 'correct' wheel cleaner for diamond cut (American Carwash do), my current car (Volvo V40) has these rims, and you should apply Poorboy's wheel sealant that would protect it. Apply twice first time round, and probably only need to top up every 6-9 months thereafter, or top up befor winter, and when winter is over, top it up again. If you have a drive and wash the car yourself, then you would be at an advantage.
I did find the non-identical / symmetrical air vents a bit odd, compared to nice round ones with quality twist to open and close in the 8V a higher quality touch. Audi say they are Lambo air vents, but....Lambo had 4 of those, not just two! Then again, I'm used ot non-matching air vents in my previous Seat Leon, that had all 4 different!

Reactions: Jcbmally, pburv, Ludus and 1 other person
I hate it because I own one of the early ones with with the ****** 2019 mmi software which is for ever having issues until its at the Audi garage

Reactions: Jcbmally, pburv and auzzam_crd
I dislike it, why? It has 4 rings on it and it is not up to Audi standards for interior quality and design. Those air vents are awful and the plastic looks cheap. To my eye my 2017 S3 is a keeper with an MMI screen that can be lowered and shut off, as I rarely use it, except for maps and that is once in a blue moon and a nicely designed interior.

Reactions: Jcbmally, pburv and Jassyo06
I wish I’d known this before I paid extra for diamond cut alloys! Anyone else have this problem?

Audi's diamond cut alloys are pretty resilient...... drive thru hand car wash places use diluted brick cleaner to clean the lower parts of the car so best avoid even diluted still caustic and will take the silver paint off the hubs and brake calipers

Reactions: Jcbmally, AdamInKent and pburv
Yea you need to make sure you go to a car wash that uses the 'correct' wheel cleaner for diamond cut (American Carwash do), my current car (Volvo V40) has these rims, and you should apply Poorboy's wheel sealant that would protect it. Apply twice first time round, and probably only need to top up every 6-9 months thereafter, or top up befor winter, and when winter is over, top it up again. If you have a drive and wash the car yourself, then you would be at an advantage.
I did find the non-identical / symmetrical air vents a bit odd, compared to nice round ones with quality twist to open and close in the 8V a higher quality touch. Audi say they are Lambo air vents, but....Lambo had 4 of those, not just two! Then again, I'm used ot non-matching air vents in my previous Seat Leon, that had all 4 different!

Total madness going to any car wash, they make money by washing cars as quickly as possible, not correctly.

Going to one, you are just asking for ruined paint.

Reactions: pburv and Jassyo06
Audi's diamond cut alloys are pretty resilient...... drive thru hand car wash places use diluted brick cleaner to clean the lower parts of the car so best avoid even diluted still caustic and will take the silver paint off the hubs and brake calipers

That would explain why my current alloys are looking a little the worse for wear.

Perhaps ironically, if you don’t want to wash your own car, Which? Magazine recommend the automatic ones as best for paintwork. They are the least likely to scratch you car as the brushes are kept free of grit, especially when compared to hand car wash sponges and those scrapers that hand washers use to scrape the water off. It’s just a shame that the robo-washers don’t clean the inside of the car too!

That would explain why my current alloys are looking a little the worse for wear.

Perhaps ironically, if you don’t want to wash your own car, Which? Magazine recommend the automatic ones as best for paintwork. They are the least likely to scratch you car as the brushes are kept free of grit, especially when compared to hand car wash sponges and those scrapers that hand washers use to scrape the water off. If only auto washes also automatically cleaned the inside of the car too!

What paint colour have you chosen?

Reactions: pburv
I don’t let anyone wash my car not even the garage when it goes for a service, the alloys on my old 8v were awful after two winters.
My sisters Merc is the same, never again would I own a car with diamond cut alloys.

Reactions: Q5 TRS and pburv
I don’t let anyone wash my car not even the garage when it goes for a service, the alloys on my old 8v were awful after two winters.
My sisters Merc is the same, never again would I own a car with diamond cut alloys.
What do you clean them with?

Bit of advice for any would be Audi 8Y owner the side bolsters on the front 2 seats are very soft and will look ******** in a matter of weeks if you bump yer **** cheeks over them going in and out the car....so learn to lift your **** over them before entry and on exit....just go on to the Audi approved website and you'll see that all the drivers side bolster nearest the door as very badly creased and the leather/material then starts to fold in on itself....even on a R8

Reactions: NIKLDN, Jcbmally, pburv and 2 others
What do you clean them with?

Autoglym alloy wheel cleaner the stuff that comes with the life shine kit.
You’d think if Audi give you that stuff when you buy the car it wouldn’t damage the lacquer.

I think Meguiars Ultimate Wheel Cleaner is supposed to be the best to use.

Autoglym alloy wheel cleaner the stuff that comes with the life shine kit.
You’d think if Audi give you that stuff when you buy the car it wouldn’t damage the lacquer.

The dealer applying lifeshine probably caused a tonne of damage also... top tip: if you want nice paintwork, don’t let a dealer clean it. For the price you pay for lifeshine, a proper detailer will do a better job.

if autoglym clean wheels, it’s acidic and isn’t to be used on diamond cut alloys if I remember correctly. Instead they do a special one, custom wheel cleaner.

Reactions: pburv and Chris4410
You need a non caustic cleaning product.

plenty of options on detailing sites such as in2detailing.co.uk or cleanyourcar.co.uk

What are your thoughts?

1) Interior is a big step back vs. the 8V.
- The 8Y uses cheaper plastic.
- The air vents are not as ergonomic. Much easier to point to a desired direction with the circular vent vs. more traditional vents.
- The climate control uses toggle than a much more user friendly dial.
- The tiny gear shifter takes away the fun in putting the car in manual by using the gear stick.
- The cup holder location in the 8Y is much worse than 8V.
- The lack of MMI dial is a big no no.
- The lack of door trim cover to hide the door frame
- The seat doesn't look as good as the 8V
- The only plus in the 8Y interior-wise is the higher res screen and greater computing power.

2) Exterior wise, it is not better (it is better in some area and worse in others)
- The 8Y has the same wheelbase and trunk size but longer overall, which makes the car look weirder because of longer overhang.
- The 8Y headlamps are ugly, way too oversized
- The 8Y grille and fake air-intakes are not desirable

Honestly speaking, if I were to buy a car now, I'd get the final model year 8V S3 rather than the new 8Y S3.

Reactions: Jcbmally, amb66, GeoffT and 3 others
At least these days the A3 come with many things as standard that wasn't previously, like cruise control, electric folding mirrors, Virtual cockpit, Sat Nav across all range.

Yea tell me about it, about carwashes that use who knows what on the wheels. As I've said, I've always been to American carwash, where they seem to use the correct Autoglym (well at least it's well know they claim to use their products). The car made it past 18 months with still perfectly black wheel nut covers, and shiny diamond cut rims. Then a friend borrowed the car (not a problem) and helpfully (or unhelpfully) decided to send it to a hand carwash before returning it to me. Where as the diamond cut were still ok (maybe it's the poorboys sealant), can't help but noticed the wheel nut covers were now whitish/grayish.

Anyone know if the 'solid' colour black 'free on Sport / Technik colour' on the A3 is more resilent than their metallic counterparts?

I think Meguiars Ultimate Wheel Cleaner is supposed to be the best to use.
Its effective when using in conjuction with a soft brush but its expensive for what it is purchase some bilt hamber wheel 1000 ml bottle you can then dilute it 50/50 to make it 2 litres and its a contact less wheel cleaner

At least these days the A3 come with many things as standard that wasn't previously, like cruise control, electric folding mirrors, Virtual cockpit, Sat Nav across all range.

Yea tell me about it, about carwashes that use who knows what on the wheels. As I've said, I've always been to American carwash, where they seem to use the correct Autoglym (well at least it's well know they claim to use their products). The car made it past 18 months with still perfectly black wheel nut covers, and shiny diamond cut rims. Then a friend borrowed the car (not a problem) and helpfully (or unhelpfully) decided to send it to a hand carwash before returning it to me. Where as the diamond cut were still ok (maybe it's the poorboys sealant), can't help but noticed the wheel nut covers were now whitish/grayish.

Anyone know if the 'solid' colour black 'free on Sport / Technik colour' on the A3 is more resilent than their metallic counterparts?
Audi's Solid/flat brilliant black paint is as soft as a paint can be l am afraid to say being a flat paint it has no metallic/ceramic particles to help disguise marring or swirls ...Best be careful

Keep an eye out for stone chips in the lacquer. This is where moisture gets underneath and causes the aluminum to oxidize. Also when it comes to getting your tyres changed keep an eye out on how the fitter treats your alloys.
Most importantly of all ...Keep away from them blo8dy high kerbs.. :scared2:
If I had the choice, I would have gone silver to best hide the paint swirls and scratches ;-)

Instead, I’ve opted for Daytona Grey. Is that a good option?
Daytona would be my choice given the chance again.. My previous car was white which I still think is great despite what @jassyo06 says:box: lol

Reactions: Jcbmally, Jassyo06 and AdamInKent
Also when it comes to getting your tyres changed keep an eye out on how the fitter treats your alloys.@jassyo06 says:box: lol

Oh ya, suggest you take pics of all rims prior and after fitting so they cannot say 'it was already there' when they scratch it..

Reactions: pburv and AdamInKent
Oh ya, suggest you take pics of all rims prior and after fitting so they cannot say 'it was already there' when they scratch it..
Agreed...

I’ve taken to using mobile fitters, as they are on driveway camera the full time while working, and I take a full walk round video before and after so there can be no question that any damage was done by them! Not only alloys I’ve seen tyre fitters damage though, seen a few with damage to body work from wheel wrenches, worse I seen was a fitter leaving a nice long scratch as their ring caught the body work as they were loosening the nut. Thankfully wasn’t my car...