Why Does The Corsa Vxr Have Better Acceleration?

jaysonD

Reaction score
Just had a little drag with my mate who has a corsa vxr its standard only has a dump valve not a induction kit
I have the 2.0t quattro, all the stats stand in my favour, Awd, 8 bhp more 37more tourqe, we know I have a faster top end but in our drag from start we was doing 60-70 before we slowed down.
I started with TC off and his car was Half a metre to a meter ahead? All the spec on our cars that I've seen shows that it's like 0.2 quicker 0-62 and I actually noticed it lol.

The answer in short is it's lighter by nearly 200kgs,and thus has a better power/weight ratio.

Well a few things to look at your cars heavier for one

2 you have 4 wheel drive which is good but you have more transmission loss so you will have less power at the wheels than you mate I would imagine and

3 gearing make a huge difrance in drag racing

4 hours is all well and good but you need usable power he could have 400hp at 8k rpm but if you had probably 320hp at 4k rpm you will probably win gearing depending

You have that many variables it's unreal the easiest way to look at it is you hp per ton is less than your mates and that makes a big difrance drag racing

Reactions: S3Alex
Well a few things to look at your cars heavier for one

2 you have 4 wheel drive which is good but you have more transmission loss so you will have less power at the wheels than you mate I would imagine and

3 gearing make a huge difrance in drag racing

4 hours is all well and good but you need usable power he could have 400hp at 8k rpm but if you had probably 320hp at 4k rpm you will probably win gearing depending

You have that many variables it's unreal the easiest way to look at it is you hp per ton is less than your mates and that makes a big difrance drag racing
I assumed having quattro would make for a quicker 0-60 time than fwd, as far as I know me and him have the same power band 2000-6800, but I supppse I did have one passenger and if his car is 200kg lighter all was in his favour I suppose, was quite supprised I must say!

I assumed having quattro would make for a quicker 0-60 time than fwd, as far as I know me and him have the same power band 2000-6800, but I supppse I did have one passenger and if his car is 200kg lighter all was in his favour I suppose, was quite supprised I must say!

I think that answers it.

Even if everything else was comparable in terms of gearing and traction,his car is lighter,and you had around 70kgs of "ballast" into the bargain.

Reactions: jaysonD
The only time you'll be faster off the line and Quattro will really come into play is when it's even slightly moist let alone wet.

Try again when it's damp or wet, bet the results will change then.

Reactions: jaysonD and sliced
Try it in the snow... See who wins that 1.. ;)

Reactions: Ash187, grainqey, jaysonD and 2 others
I would have thought the corsa would be quicker in any scenario? aren't the std 2.0t pretty lifeless? Especially with Quattro.

I would have thought the corsa would be quicker in any scenario? aren't the std 2.0t pretty lifeless? Especially with Quattro.

OMG arent they, my old 2.0T Quattro was probably one of the slowest cars i have ever owned (until Maped) got beat by my mate in his Lupo GTI plenty of times and that is only 1.6 125bhp!!

When i owned my 2.0T i wouldnt of even attempted to have a go with a corsa vxr when it was standard would of given Audi's a bad name lol.

Get an S3.. Problem solved! ;)

Reactions: dandav1985
What is the weight of the A3 Quattro?

Mines mapped but compared to my old TT it feels slow but I think it's where it so much smoother. FYI this morning I played with a S2000 up to silly speeds and was pushing it along..;)

If you get your car mapped it will make a huge difference. I used to run a stage 3 corsa vxr and after moving from that to my A3 2.0 tsi it felt like I was driving a tractor but since having stage 1 put on and fitting some other bits the Audi is about on par with what my VXR felt like. They are poo in damp conditions with the turbo kicking in at 1900rpm it just spins up more then a yo yo

I wouldn't worry either way.. Corsa's are **** whether it be a VXR or not.

Reactions: Sprintblu3 and Charlie23
You should try a different sort of race, which should favour you. Go to a club and try and pull girl's just using your car key's, first person to pick up someone half decent. See who wins then :kissmyrings:

Reactions: S3 AEX, Compkiler, JJ10 and 1 other person
You should try a different sort of race, which should favour you. Go to a club and try and pull girl's just using your car key's, first person to pick up someone half decent. See who wins then :kissmyrings:

This LOL.

OMG arent they, my old 2.0T Quattro was probably one of the slowest cars i have ever owned (until Maped) got beat by my mate in his Lupo GTI plenty of times and that is only 1.6 125bhp!!

When i owned my 2.0T i wouldnt of even attempted to have a go with a corsa vxr when it was standard would of given Audi's a bad name lol.
have to say I don't think mines that slow! I'm only 19 so o think it's rapid haha! Mine does beat a 120d bmw and the 2.2 Diesel merc but I have to admit we both thought is smash it haha! I had a race from like 70 with him thoughh and I do pull away

Geeza might have to give it a go audi all the way!

:rockwoot:

Ha-Ha i like your style. :respekt:

This LOL.

Geeza might have to give it a go audi all the way!

Haha, I was hoping you guy's would find that funny, I didn't want it to sound snobby.

I know someone who was trying to impress people we were with at the time about how fast his car is (some Ford thing), how new it is and a load of other rubbish, no-one looked that impressed but when I was asked what car I drove, all I had to say was Audi A3 and I had 3 times more the interest in my car than his.

Haha, I was hoping you guy's would find that funny, I didn't want it to sound snobby.

I know someone who was trying to impress people we were with at the time about how fast his car is (some Ford thing), how new it is and a load of other rubbish, no-one looked that impressed but when I was asked what car I drove, all I had to say was Audi A3 and I had 3 times more the interest in my car than his.

True....

I followed a hogged out RS Focus yesterday which was busy snorting and banging it's way down the road,flames and all between changes,but the funny thing was it wasn't any quicker than the nondescript white thing behind it.

But if that 'nondescript white thing' behind it was your S3 did it really stand a chance in the first place?

Reactions: Charlie23
I had a little go with an R8 lastnite only a young boy driving with his mate (posh *******) smiling as he pulled up at the lights next to me, but put it this way he wasn't smiling when he pulled up next to me 3 roundabouts and a duel carrige way later!

But if that 'nondescript white thing' behind it was your S3 did it really stand a chance in the first place?

LOL...I think it was just the shock value of not dropping the Audi.

But don't knock 'em.....some of those RS's are fast,and they do turn out decent horsepower.....Revo and a few tuners will see you to the north end of 500bhp if your pockets are deep enough.

I giggled when I saw this thread. I just had a blip with a white Corsa VXR and it lost miserably :p

I giggled when I saw this thread. I just had a blip with a white Corsa VXR and it lost miserably :p

Just don't pick one of the few very well built and tuned ones out there.

Those,like the occasional RS,are surprisingly fast,and can be made to handle well too.

A 380bhp Corsa is an impressive little beast,and must give the owner at least as much fun as we all find when our hatches embarass a supercar.

There is a guy near me that's got the apprent highest bhp corsa vxr in the country running at 431 bhp but turbo only kicks in at 4000rpm.

If only the s3 was in my price range

Look at it this way,in the time for you both to have your drag race his will have depreaciated quicker than yours:D

Reactions: jaysonD
I had a little go with an R8 lastnite only a young boy driving with his mate (posh *******) smiling as he pulled up at the lights next to me, but put it this way he wasn't smiling when he pulled up next to me 3 roundabouts and a duel carrige way later!

I had a similar experience about a month ago. Basically, a mile and a half stretch of empty dual carriageway up ahead and a metallic tangerine R8 right up my chuff as we both came off the roundabout.

Exiting roundabout traffic held me up till about 70mph and I'd deliberately left a large gap between me and the car in front (I hate stone chips, plus I thought he'd undertake me to get in front - he did) :) ...and I just know I'm about to be slaughtered: S3, Shark Stg1, CAI, Catback Milltek.... Dyno'd at 318b/295ft/lb.

A mile further on (wouldn't dare quote speedo / satnav readings) and he's honestly not gained three car-lengths, if that. What's that all about??? It's an R8 ***!

P.

Reactions: Charlie23
There is a guy near me that's got the apprent highest bhp corsa vxr in the country running at 431 bhp but turbo only kicks in at 4000rpm.

If only the s3 was in my price range

That's the payback of a big turbo.

Mine will turn a little bit of boost low down,but isn't REALLLY interested until around 4000rpm either.

It drives like a stock engine below that,but lazy if you know what I mean.

LOL...I think it was just the shock value of not dropping the Audi.

But don't knock 'em.....some of those RS's are fast,and they do turn out decent horsepower.....Revo and a few tuners will see you to the north end of 500bhp if your pockets are deep enough.

Two of my friends have a b5 RS4 and another friend has just sold the RS4 for an RS6. I haven't been in the RS6 yet but when you're in the RS4 the faces you get from people driving these new sports cars when they've just been left by a 10 year old estate.

There isn't any doubting these are quick bits of kits, there's a fair few in my area, none of which are tuned I don't think.

Brings to mind the old Volvo T5 estate as well.....at first a lot of people had trouble understanding why a Volvo of all things had just left them behind.

Then there was the infamous TWR Volvo touring racer...

Reactions: Sprintblu3
Yes the old Volvo, my cousin had an ex police T5 with the 2.3 engine ( was ment to be quicker than the 2.5) doom blue saloon and omg went like stink when it was running properly!
Square ugly volvo and we raced skylines etc was so much fun.

Reactions: S3Alex
I know of the guy with the 431bhp Corsa....personally....it just looks chavtastic and he thinks it's the fastest thing in the world. 431bhp, FWD...Corsa. Go back and re-evaluate your life lol.

Reactions: superkarl and Charlie23
I know of the guy with the 431bhp Corsa....personally....it just looks chavtastic and he thinks it's the fastest thing in the world. 431bhp, FWD...Corsa. Go back and re-evaluate your life lol.

I know what you're getting at but once it's moving it'll be quick enough.

Few years back everyone was saying that 300bhp touring cars wouldn't work or grip.

Why have that much power in FWD? My haldex is a bit poorly at the moment and I'm getting wheel spin in third. This is on a mapped 2.0T.

And as people have said, get it mapped, completely different car. Before map, my old mapped PD130 bora pulled away from the audi once moving. Now, audi leaves it for dead :)

Yeah exactly the ampu
yeah exactly, I always see him driving around with his 1.2 mates in their fezzas haha I think it looks way too chavy. I know he went for a drag day and got beat by a 370bhp or somethjng like thag vxr, no point having it all of you can't use it, the amount he's spunked on it yoj could have such a nicer faster car lol

Why have that much power in FWD? My haldex is a bit poorly at the moment and I'm getting wheel spin in third. This is on a mapped 2.0T.

And as people have said, get it mapped, completely different car. Before map, my old mapped PD130 bora pulled away from the audi once moving. Now, audi leaves it for dead :)
Exactly! But each for their own!
I'd say a remap is defiantly on the horizon for me, but I've decided to wait intill I have a cat back exhaust and a decent induction kit first to get it more personal flr the car, what sort of hp and tourqe increase you get??