Why does the stereo always turn on?

xBox

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a RTFM, but I'm out and about and just wondered why the stereo is apparently so disobedient.

It always switches on with the ignition, regardless if it was off when the car was last switched off?

You can make the display shutdown with the switch in the dash and then it won't come on again until you tell it. If you just switch off on the switch in the centre consol, it will always behave as you describe.

Turn the volume right down, then when it starts up no sound :)

Reactions: xBox and pburv
You can make the display shutdown with the switch in the dash and then it won't come on again until you tell it. If you just switch off on the switch in the centre consol, it will always behave as you describe.

Push down on the volume keeps it off too.

I think I'm right in saying that pushing the dash button simply puts the screen down, and it resets and comes up again next time you turn the ignition on. Pressing the volume knob just mutes the sound, and it resets and un-mutes next time you turn the ignition on.

Pressing and holding the volume knob turns the MMI off (and so puts the screen down). I think this is remembered, and it won't switch on next time you turn on the ignition. You have to press the volume knob to switch it on again.

From memory if you push the button on the dash it puts the screen down and it stays down the next time you start the car, BUT if the radio was on it will still be on.

From memory if you push the button on the dash it puts the screen down and it stays down the next time you start the car, BUT if the radio was on it will still be on.
I'd prefer it if it did work that way, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't. I'm fairly sure my screen will just come up again next time if I've put the screen down using the dash button.

I think I'm right in saying that pushing the dash button simply puts the screen down, and it resets and comes up again next time you turn the ignition on. Pressing the volume knob just mutes the sound, and it resets and un-mutes next time you turn the ignition on.

Pressing and holding the volume knob turns the MMI off (and so puts the screen down). I think this is remembered, and it won't switch on next time you turn on the ignition. You have to press the volume knob to switch it on again.
On my A3 if I push and hold down the Volume control it switches of the "Entertainment system" and a message comes up in the top section of the DIS to say it's been switched off. Just a quick press will mute the sound but a longer press will switch it off and lower the screen. It will NOT come on again when the ignition is turned on, only when you select Radio or Media using the MMI buttons.

Just to confirm. The only way to not have the screen pop up when you start the car is to turn off the MMI (hold volume button down for a couple of seconds)

Just to confirm. The only way to not have the screen pop up when you start the car is to turn off the MMI (hold volume button down for a couple of seconds)

....just to add if you do that it switches off everything in the MMI, not just the radio, so phone and sat nav as well

I can't get my head round this annoying glitch either.

I do not want the car to keep playing music every time I start the car - having to reach for the volume knob each and every time to turn it down.

BUT ... I do want the mmi screen on display and phone connected etc ... but I don't think this is possible .... is it ?

I can't get my head round this annoying glitch either.

I do not want the car to keep playing music every time I start the car - having to reach for the volume knob each and every time to turn it down.

BUT ... I do want the mmi screen on display and phone connected etc ... but I don't think this is possible .... is it ?

As far as I am aware - no. Its seems to be the same across all the Audi range as my wife's A1 does exactly the same thing. I've just got used to pushing the centre console or steering wheel button to mute the stereo every time I get in the car.

The same "feature" is on Ford's so I wonder whether manufacturers believe we want music every time we switch our cars on. Like you I would appreciate the option, but it appears they don't give that

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
Sorry if this is a RTFM, but I'm out and about and just wondered why the stereo is apparently so disobedient.

It always switches on with the ignition, regardless if it was off when the car was last switched off?

There's an option in the MMI as to how loud the stereo comes back on if I remember right - i.e you can set it to say 10 so if on 16 when you turn the ignition off, it will come back on 10 the next time the ignition is switched on - Have a play around in the radio menu on the MMI

....just to add if you do that it switches off everything in the MMI, not just the radio, so phone and sat nav as well
I agree that this is one of the less friendly features. And you are correct that turning off the mmi is the only way to prevent it coming on when you start up.
However, if the mmi is turned off, incoming phone calls do get through (I am pretty sure this is correct.) It's difficult for me to test this because (a) I usually have the radio on and (b) I rarely get any calls :sorrow:
But you do have to turn it on to make a call.

actually there are several Audi flawed features where there is no memory, such as the silly Dash Information System between the two main gauges...set it to something you prefer, turn off the ignition, restart, and it goes back to the basic mileage/clock mode....VERY frustrating.
My 2010 VW Golf...poof, it stays where you last had it no mater what!
Arg Audi!

Only way I've found to stop it playing music, whilst still having the mmi screen active, is selecting the media button without an iPod connected ... then there is no sound when you start up ... but you have to plug in an iPod every time you do then want to play it, so far from ideal :whip:

Geez, this is almost as 'precious' as the member who moaned the MMI screen was distracting and it was all too much effort pressing one button to retract it!! lol

...........The second I get in mine I just wanna rock.......................:rock:

Reactions: richinsoton, Scottyg and pburv
actually there are several Audi flawed features where there is no memory, such as the silly Dash Information System between the two main gauges...set it to something you prefer, turn off the ignition, restart, and it goes back to the basic mileage/clock mode....VERY frustrating.
Arg Audi!
Really? My DIS stays on the selection I want all the time - or am I mis-understanding?

What happens if you're playing music from an SD card then pop the card out after you've turned off the ignition?

Arg Audi!

I set mine to have the speed with avg mpg.
It's there when I turn it back on...

Reactions: Simon L, Scottyg and pburv
I turn the volume down to 1 - which is a workaround (if you remember to turn the volume down).

But it is annoying. Radio I don't mind so much as it's usually something acceptable and not embaressing when people are in the car with you. Other times my phone takes a while to Bluetooth to the car, so I've already set off and suddenly my music kicks in.

Geez, this is almost as 'precious' as the member who moaned the MMI screen was distracting and it was all too much effort pressing one button to retract it!! lol

...........The second I get in mine I just wanna rock.......................:rock:

but I just wanna hear the engine & exhaust ... I have no interest in the mmi music or radio :)

Reactions: h5djr and Simon L
I set mine to have the speed with avg mpg.
It's there when I turn it back on...
Envious! :sign unfair: perhaps you don't have a US version car, or the S3 is different than the A3. Mine ALWAYS reverts back to clock and odometer, no matter if I had it previously set to average MPG, or the radio station presets, or anything in between.

I have the "Entertainment System" switched off all the time with the MMI screen down. The only time it pops up is when I reverse and it pops up for the reversing camera. As soon as I de-select reverse it goes down and stays down. If I want to listen to anything I just select radio or media and then switch it off when I no longer want it using a long press on the volume control.

I have the "Entertainment System" switched off all the time with the MMI screen down. The only time it pops up is when I reverse and it pops up for the reversing camera. As soon as I de-select reverse it goes down and stays down. If I want to listen to anything I just select radio or media and then switch it off when I no longer want it using a long press on the volume control.
You can of course send the screen down while keeping the music/radio playing. But you have to do that each time.

Personally, I don't see this as an issue. My music (media or radio) comes on each morning and my DIS comes up with digital speedo and average MPG as well. Saves a job turning it on each day.

Reactions: Simon L