Why does this 5000 quit on its own??

Sabre60

Reaction score
Good Evening All,
I sure hope somebody can steer me in the right direction. I sold my 84 5000S and an 85 parts car do a person here in town. All was well until about 2 weeks ago when the 84 wouldn't start. The only way it would run was to give it a shot of ether at which point it ran beautifully until the ether had expired. It is now to the point where it does start and run until reaching 3600 RPM at with point the car just quits as if the key was turned. Fuel pump was replaced by me with a brand new BOSCH about a year ago. Any guidance would be VERY much appreciated......... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Hmmm I would check the fuel pump to make sure it's getting power from the stock wire if not try a temp wire with 12 volts in it to the power terminal on top of the fuel pump.Also try tapping on the pump while a friend is cranking the motor which may jumpstart what we call a lazy pump.Oh and remember that the fuel pump dose not operate untill the enging is cranking.it's a good starting place and I have seen this in the shop happen lots of times.Good luck

Mike.