Why I won't be waiting for the new Audi S4 model

WarwickBoy

Reaction score
I notice a lot of discussion on the new facelift B9. I'm looking at a new Audi S4 Avant and think it is better to order one now rather than wait for the facelift model for the following reasons:

• New Design Features/Technology - While these look good, whenever you get a new car, the later model always has new features and technology. The S4 is a well specified car and for me it is more about the driving experience than the look.
  • Price - Typically a newer model has a premium price over the outgoing model and often the later outgoing models often have good deals on high specification models to drive sales of people waiting for the new model.
  • Brexit - The Brexit process does not look like it is going optimally and in my view our government are not handling it well. I think that unless the UK stays in the customs union/single market it will inevitably make importing cars from the EU more expensive for EU consumers, and possibly hit supply chain availability.
The predicted availability of the new A4 model is early 2019 around when the UK leaves the EU (March 29th 2018) so the facelift S4 won't likely be available until after this date, so the impact of whatever has been agreed will be felt.

Do other agree. Am I being too pessimistic. Interested in views of the forum.

Cheers,

WarwickBoy

If you facrory order now you'll get the facelift model. Build slots for MY18 model are all taken. Only choice is a stock or pre reg MY18 model.

Ah, OK, was not aware of this. I'll still look to drive a good deal via CarWow/Coast2Coast etc. Wonder if the discounts achieved on the MY18 model (up to 20% seen here) will now be harder to achieve.

Current offers on Carwow run out 30th June, so be quick if you already have a good price.
If you're going the PCP route the 3.2% APR is a good offer, but may not be around when the quarter 3 offers are released?

Brexit, coming on March 29th 2019, may not see a difference in actual vehicle cost price, but with amended, or no, trade agreements, the Govt. will surely be imposing new taxes.
With technology, it may well be MY 20 or 21 before the introduction of part hybrid based on our current code CWGD engine. Audi may well delay until they have to introduce it to match the Merc-AMG 3.0 l straight 6 part hybrid code 256. Actually surprised they did not introduce this in the latest update.

Now the good news. S4 Avant = awesome choice!!

Reactions: Daggerit
I ordered my wife an S4 Avant last week via DriveTheDeal.

£52,000 list price
£43,358 discount price (17% discount)

Spec:
Navarra blue
19" ‘5-V spoke’ Alloys
Black Fine Nappa Leather Seats
Piano Black finish interior
Black roof rails
Black Styling Pack
Door mirrors in gloss black
Panoramic Sunroof
Privacy glass
Extended LED Interior Lighting Pack (multi-coloured)
Folding Door mirrors
Audi Virtual Cockpit
Red brake Calipers

Reactions: ScottishA4B9, S4piper, WesT-gefül and 1 other person
Just my 2 cents...

It is quite possible that Trump will have more influence than Brexit. If the US goes ahead with tariffs on car imports then this will hit Audi hard. Even if the UK government gets its act together on a deal, and even if they get agreement from the EU negotiating team, I believe all it takes is one member state to refuse to that deal and it is all over. If the UK crashes out of the EU and the US have those car tariffs then the situation changes.

So buy a new car within the next 6 months, or wait for 18 months, but avoid that year in between.

Reactions: NevMan
I ordered my wife an S4 Avant last week via DriveTheDeal.

£52,000 list price
£43,358 discount price (17% discount)

Spec:
Navarra blue
19" ‘5-V spoke’ Alloys
Black Fine Nappa Leather Seats
Piano Black finish interior
Black roof rails
Black Styling Pack
Door mirrors in gloss black
Panoramic Sunroof
Privacy glass
Extended LED Interior Lighting Pack (multi-coloured)
Folding Door mirrors
Audi Virtual Cockpit
Red brake Calipers

Serious discount that, good work :thumbs up:
Lovely spec too :hubbahubba:

@WarwickBoy @Djpfrozenp You guys do release that due to the change in the laws, production & delivery of new S4's has been delayed until at least January 19. Unless you can get an order that has already been made and is on its way to the UK.

Last edited:
@WarwickBoy @Djpfrozenp You guys do release that due to the change in the laws, production & delivery of new S4's has been delayed until at least January 19. Unless you can get an order that has already been made and is on its way to the UK.

Wowee that's a long wait.

Yes, but I think it is a car worth waiting for. And I understand that any tax is applied at order time, so the Brexit related new/increased taxes mentioned to make up the financial deficit of leaving the EU mentioned by SMI177 won't apply retrospectively but only to orders made after March as he suggests (i.e. government can't hit you with retrospective taxes on the purchase, but possibly may hike motoring tax in general)

Yes, but I think it is a car worth waiting for. And I understand that any tax is applied at order time, so the Brexit related new/increased taxes mentioned to make up the financial deficit of leaving the EU mentioned by SMI177 won't apply retrospectively but only to orders made after March as he suggests (i.e. government can't hit you with retrospective taxes on the purchase, but possibly may hike motoring tax in general)

You say that, but when the VED changed last time it didn't matter about ordering dates and instead came down to when the car was registered. Best check it thoroughly if you're concerned about the tax in future. :)