Why New Golf R Gets Rated Better Than New S3?

Having driven both within 24 hours of each other and both on passive dampers I can honestly say that I preferred the S3 over the R on the rather poorly maintained roads that we have up in these parts. The demonstrator Golf had it's radio removed so it wasn't possible to 'play' with damper settings however, both me and SWMBO felt the S3 isolated you better from imperfections in the road than the Golf. Then we got to the most interesting part! With speccing both cars to a similar level, The S3 came out about £1200 more than the Golf however, for that you get, IMO, a vastly nicer interior, a wider range of colours and a car you don't see everyday, unlike the Golf. Also, as the Golf R was caught up in the leasegate affair, I think that in 2-3 years the market will be full of low spec Golf R's causing used values to plummet.

At the end of the day, both cars are as good as one another and it's all down to personal preference. However, the majority of people love when the top dog gets matched and I feel this is the case with the latest gen R/S3.

I've opted for the 8V S3 as I always get this buzz from driving my mate's 8P S3 (I have a GTI at the moment).

I'll happily admit that another reason I'm going S3 is due to the class of its interior. In fact, I think the Mk7 interior is inferior to the Mk6 interior, so I'm not overly keen on the R for that reason. I know it's slightly stupid but I want to enjoy my surroundings, not just the drive.

Not saying I wouldn't have the R... if I couldn't go for the S3 I wouldn't hesitate to swoop for the R as my next choice!

Connor

Reactions: Aran383 and monkeyhanger
These aren't even the best driving hot hatches we are discussing here.
For driving the Golf appears to be slightly better set up than the S3, but there are two/possibly three that are better than both of these VAG efforts.

Just be happy with what you have chosen and forget about the alternatives. If it's the S3 you have to accept that for sheer driving involvement and excitement it's likely not even in the top three.

Or if you aren't happy just change it out for something better.

I don't think that was the point of the post, - 'best driving' is subjective. - do you mean fastest lap times around a circuit or maybe a road rally stage. It could also be the responsiveness to driver inputs or any combination of both and yes there are ' hot hatches' which are more track focused than the S3.

If you read some of the articles you would think that the Golf R & the GTI are the pinnacle of high-powered hatches in terms of performance and handling, that I think is more the point.

There are a few aspects to the R that even the VW diehards don't like - the main one being that from everywhere but the back end (where 4 exhaust pipes can be seen), the R looks a little anonymous. It doesn't look as sporting as the GTI or GTD on the outside and there's been nowt done to the inside to make it feel more special than a GTI/GTD. The main downside to the MK7 interior over the MK6 are the front seats, pretty much everything else is better. The biggest difference between the S3 and the R you will notice every time you step in the car, no matter how hard you drive it, is the interior (more specifically the front seats more than every other aspect) - that's not to say the Golf has a crap interior, it certainly holds up well against pretty much all it's peers but Audi.

They're pretty much the same drive 95% of the time. Lease the R or buy the S3 for the best deal, get the Golf for the wealth of genuinely useful standard equipment, or get the S3 for the plush interior and end up splashing out £3k on the options (you can live with a vanilla GTI/GTD/R, you can't live with a vanilla S3). When I look at interiors, no matter which VAG I look at, I am always disappointed by the Elephant arseprint texture of all the non-smooth plastics. The best dash material I ever saw on a VAG was on the Lupo and the Polo of that era - the textured plastics were in a raised hexagonal pattern of uniform dots - don't know why they didn't carry that on, looks so much nicer than elephant ****.

Reactions: Pulp84
I don't think that was the point of the post, - 'best driving' is subjective. - do you mean fastest lap times around a circuit or maybe a road rally stage. It could also be the responsiveness to driver inputs or any combination of both and yes there are ' hot hatches' which are more track focused than the S3.

If you read some of the articles you would think that the Golf R & the GTI are the pinnacle of high-powered hatches in terms of performance and handling, that I think is more the point.

Best driving as in how the cars are to drive spiritedly on UK roads.
There are two/three cars better to drive as a hot hatch should be driven when you want the fun factor.
No necessity to take it on track to enjoy how these cars are to be driven - UK B road is a perfect test and there are better options for that fun factor than VAG currently.
That was my point.

You might be happy with the "package" of the S3, but when you want to drive a hot hatch as it's meant to be driven, then you are left with an inferior product to a few of the competition I'm afraid.
That said, if the rest of the "package" excites you enough, then the S3 should suffice and maintain your interest and, at the end of the day, that's all that matters.

There are a few aspects to the R that even the VW diehards don't like - the main one being that from everywhere but the back end (where 4 exhaust pipes can be seen), the R looks a little anonymous. It doesn't look as sporting as the GTI or GTD on the outside and there's been nowt done to the inside to make it feel more special than a GTI/GTD.

The same can be said about the S3. How does it differ exactly from an S-Line? The exterior is pretty much identical aside from the badges and the rear diffuser and exhausts. As for the interior, unless you spec the super sports seats, again it's pretty much exactly the same.

I'm sure if you had an S3 over the S-line you would appreciate the difference.

S3 badges / screen logos inside adds that little something else don't forget. Again if you don't own one hard to know these little things.....

Last edited:
if i was in the market for a Hot Hatch where looks are everything, i'd have the Vauxhall every time :undwech:

AstraVXR_01.jpg

lol cant get away from the fact that its a great looking car

Last edited:
lol cant get away from the fact that its a great looking car
Looks are hugely subjective.
I don't like how the Vauxhall looks one bit.
It's better looking than a BMW 135, but that's not saying much.

TBVH, I prefer people to "think" my car looks/is nothing special. It makes me feel better when they embarrass themselves trying it on. There I've said it. I can get 40+mpg and still show up a hell of a lot of other cars with all show, some go (but not enough) lol

It's different when you have a "fast" looking car and just manage to pull on tweaked Focus RS. But different when they got their bessies in the car and think, pfffft, I'll show this guy...whaaaaaaa!!!!!????! and you're gone.

all done and said, the S3 is understated from all angles except the back end. Suits me fine. When required (and sometime... just sometimes it is) goes like stink.

Must admit I'm sick to death of these 18 year tw@ts in Corsa's always wanting to race me when I'm driving the wife's MINI JCW

Given up showing 'em a clean pair of heels now. Just wish they'd feck off! :keule:

Reactions: monopole
and on the door sills and the seats (including SSS)

Best driving as in how the cars are to drive spiritedly on UK roads.
There are two/three cars better to drive as a hot hatch should be driven when you want the fun factor.
No necessity to take it on track to enjoy how these cars are to be driven - UK B road is a perfect test and there are better options for that fun factor than VAG currently.
That was my point.

You might be happy with the "package" of the S3, but when you want to drive a hot hatch as it's meant to be driven, then you are left with an inferior product to a few of the competition I'm afraid.
That said, if the rest of the "package" excites you enough, then the S3 should suffice and maintain your interest and, at the end of the day, that's all that matters.

You have me at a disadvantage, not having any experience at driving on a British 'B' roads.

I don't remember saying the S3 'excites' me. I currently have a mk6 GTI manual with a stage 1 tune, and while I appreciate it's teutonic efficiency, I have yet to wake at 4am in the morning to take it out for a drive as it doesn't 'excite' me enough. although I do expect the S3 to have a bit of driver satisfaction - not quite the same a fun.

I agree with you, if 'fun' was the primary requisite, I would be looking at other options.

Just out of interest Graigl, as it is not in your signature... what do you currently drive ?

Last edited:
You have me at a disadvantage, not having any experience at driving on a British 'B' roads.

I don't remember saying the S3 'excites' me. I currently have a mk6 GTI manual with a stage 1 tune, and while I appreciate it's teutonic efficiency, I have yet to wake at 4am in the morning to take it out for a drive as it doesn't 'excite' me enough. although I do expect the S3 to have a bit driver satisfaction - not quite the same a fun.

I agree with you, if 'fun' was the primary requisite, I would be looking at other options.

Just out of interest Graigl, as it is not in your signature... what do you currently drive ?

S3 (8v) Sportback S-tronic. Had it since November.
New car on order though, so my S3 is available if anyone wants to skip the queue and save a few ££££ on new.

I think if you're looking for major performance driving pleasure some thing other than the S3 and the Golf R should be on your list. However the S3 is a great overall package with the addition of refinement built in.

Reactions: monopole
Lol.

Sure if you had more than 150 P.S you'd agree.....oh and don't forget the S3 badges inside!

You need to practice your trolling.

My post was in direct response to one in which the visual "impact" of the Golf R was questioned in relation to "regular" models and I was pointing out that the S3 suffers from a similar problem with its aesthetics. Of course both the R and the S3 have massively more performance than their more "run of the mill" brethren but that wasn't what was being discussed.

Lol. OK.

I pointed out there are a fair few distinguish differences. I also noted you haven't got an S3 so not sure what your adding to the well mannered debate? Again, if you owned one you'd know.

Aspirin for your headache?

Jeremy Clarkson = Tw@t

Well known fact apparently ...

A pal of mine has a 14 plate 5 door Golf R and he covets my S3. We've both driven each others cars as well, and I have to say, the S3 is the better car, he agrees, just! LOL! That golf's interior isn't a patch on my car and looks wise, the golf doesn't quite live up to the S3 either. Performance wise, nothing in it and handling wise, maybe the golf had the edge. But hey, his car was cheaper than mine ... don't get me wrong, the Golf R is a very good car, but to argue it's better than the S3. As good as, I could live with. What divides the two cars is the VW badge IMO - I'd rather dunk my knob into a tank full of piranha's than go to VW dealer for servicing!

Last edited:
Reactions: Foxtrot_Oscar
Would be interesting if someone who knows about these things could setup the geometry and suspension on the S3 like the golf? or similar settings at least to allow us S3 peeps to get some of that Golf turn in feel etc?

I suspect it will also involve changing the dampers too, as the standard S3 dampers are not up to the job at speed.....

I suspect it will also involve changing the dampers too, as the standard S3 dampers are not up to the job at speed.....

Too right.....I've bashed my head a few times on the headlining when going over a mildly bumpy road. Not good

Reactions: veeeight
sounds like a fart in a can this Golf R exhaust

Yes, the S3 does sound better than the R, but that'll be all down to the "soundaktor" device (same one, set up differently? Maybe a VCDS job to tweak). It seems to me that they could've made both cars better than they are for little or no extra, just by putting the things the S3 does better onto the R and vice-versa.

Pulp S3 snob!!:eek:

Never seen an S3 review on the Top Gear series, the Golf is the more common car of the two and I'm guessing more people would prefer an in depth review of it.

The R is a beast and looks like one, however if you want to be in a visually nice place to be with great performance the S3 wins. Also when I specced both up the price was near the same!

That's was my overriding impression of the noise in the R was it sounded a bit fake.

Do you know what killed it for me with the R regardless of its performance......all the very cheap shiny black plastic inside the cabin.

Stupid I know but couldn't live with it.

They are really pushing the 2.0 engine, I can imagine them pushing it so much it just breaks when you drive it!!

Despite the article, I think it will be a 2.5T engine and shared with the new RS3.