Why you chose your S3 Sportback or 3 door

Audimad

Reaction score
I have always wanted an S3 and now i have an S3 Sportback but originally i wanted the three door. I chose the SB instead as i thought the 3 door just looked like a facelift of the 8P.

What is your reason?

Serious replies only please, "JB"

Last edited:
Just prefer the look of the Sportback and started to find that the 3 doors on our A1 were becoming impractical. This wouldn't be any different for a 3 door S3. Also sometimes a nightmare if you are a bit porky getting out of a 3 door if in a tight parking space due to the length of the the doors. Suppose I could have always gone on a little diet if I really wanted a 3 door.....

Reactions: cemerson
SB to me looks like more of a complete car. The 3Dr looks disproportionate and for myself with a family also impractical. Not to say that 3Dr is inferior it's just different and is targeted to a different demographic, I previously owned 2 myself.

The rear lights of the SB also to me look more pleasing, and ones with rails that compliment the rest of the car like estoril blue with ali rails looks phenomenal, perhaps some may disagree but that is said in my opinion of course.

Reactions: cemerson and J6YAK
Always liked the sb in 's' mode in both shapes not s line but s3.

SB much better for dogging IMO

Reactions: BGS, Scotty2011, Cumbrian_bob and 3 others
Don't have any kids, very rarely carry more than one passenger, personally think the 3 door looks better, and it's cheaper!

Reactions: Scotty2011
SB to me looks like more of a complete car. The 3Dr looks disproportionate and for myself with a family also impractical. Not to say that 3Dr is inferior it's just different and is targeted to a different demographic, I previously owned 2 myself.

The rear lights of the SB also to me look more pleasing, and ones with rails that compliment the rest of the car like estoril blue with ali rails looks phenomenal, perhaps some may disagree but that is said in my opinion of course.

Agree apart from colour choice which of course is very personal

Reactions: Louay
Will always buy Spotback. 3 doors absolutely unpractical in all ways, especially with passangers.

Prefer the sportier look of the 3 door, that its quicker and I dont need the practicality of 5 doors.

The 3 door was the original version and style and angles work better than the 5 door which looks too much like an estate car, because it sort of is an estate car, it loses somethng with its shorter windows, extra windows, more door handles all taking away something away from the style of the 3 door. Losing some of the lines for the practicality.

The three door looks a little bit sportier, same with the A5, and even the concept Quattro, long door, strong rear pillar, whihc is accented by the silver window frame demonstrating the shape of the windows along with the roof line.

This is of course all IMHO etc etc. I dont dislike the 5 door, I just prefer the 3 door, which is why I bought that version.

Reactions: keyser, Scotty2011 and Ziggyma89
Agree 2 door Coupe on A5 is best. Sportback looks like an A4 hatch. BUT on A3 8P and 8v reckon the SB looks best (particularly 8P ) 8V both look good IMHO . The original 8L looked pants as a 5 door. Just my 2p but true ;-)

Reactions: Ziggyma89
Echoing some of the other comments, the car looks to have been designed to be a three door and then adapted to provide a five door option.

I very rarely have more than one passenger and don't need the extra space or practicality. The three door looks sportier (suits the S3) whereas the sportback just looks, to me, like a small estate car.

If I really needed the extra space or ease of access, I'd have gone for a larger Audi like an S5.

Reactions: Ziggyma89
Feel like the SB looks too much like an A4 avant. I don't have any kids and also rarely have more than 2 passengers.
3 door looks more sporty and more suited for the younger lad.

Reactions: grantDUBshaw
Echoing some of the other comments, the car looks to have been designed to be a three door and then adapted to provide a five door option.

I very rarely have more than one passenger and don't need the extra space or practicality. The three door looks sportier (suits the S3) whereas the sportback just looks, to me, like a small estate car.

If I really needed the extra space or ease of access, I'd have gone for a larger Audi like an S5.

S5/a5 isn't larger inside !

No it isn't and I've had 2 5s and 3 3s. ! The A 3 is way more practical and easier for passengers

SB Looks better, more finished; baby on the way, so 5 doors was a must any way.

If a 3 door car was an option for me, I wouldn't be in a S3.

S5/a5 isn't larger inside !

The 2 door A5 is larger inside for the driver, more arm room and leg room, the longer door and more straight legged poition means the driving position rarely meant my legs could touch the stearing wheel.

The overall cabin might be smaller for everybody else, but passengers, who cares, if they want a lift they should be happy with that, if they are not happy theres loads of space on the bus.

Reactions: Audimad
You don't want a S5 anyway.
The S3 is the better car.
IMO, having owned both.

Reactions: PilotAudi
Sportback for the win. 3 door looks too much like a A1.

Reactions: rams_s3
So there you have it, some people like the three door, and some people like the five door! Shocker!! :w00t:

Reactions: keyser
It is easier to get in and has extra space. Please read what I wrote.

It isn't as Bob in Carlisle says A5 is bigger for driver in leg dept but A 3 is way better for passengers and like Craig and Mr Mad I've had both too!

3 door all the way, more sportier never more than 2 people in it, then I have my Q5 for everything else

Reactions: Scotty2011
SB as I didn't have any choice haha. We don't get the 3 door down here. Had I been given the choice, it would have been the 3 door hands down.

Got an A3, not S3 but SB for me - looks a little better proportioned. Plus get the benefits of sensible sized doors which makes getting in / out of tight spots a little easier. Back doors useful for the rare occassion we have anyone travelling in the back. Practicality of the SB makes the A3 pretty much all the car you'd ever need.

I much prefer the sportback. I love the avant style Audi's and especially the RS4 and RS6 (bit out my price range though :( ) and as mentioned the sportback looks a little like a mini estate.

Tomorrow is the day!

Always preferred my hot hatches with 3 doors, think they look sportier. Although we've got a baby, my wife has an X5 so already got a big family bus so didn't really need a 5 door. S3 is basically my work commute car and toy.