Wi-Fi built in to MMI, if so, how to connect?

Macster

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just a quick one, when I go to my WiFi settings in my iPhone, (with IOS 8), it shows a network which is my car - Audi49277 - anyone know why this shows up as I don't have a SIM or wireless in the car, (that I know of)?

Thanks

You don't need the the Audi MMI connect app, the Audi49277 is your default wi-fi hotspot but to connect out to the internet you need a data SIM in the car. The audio is streamed over blueooth, not wi-fi which is a different setup.

The feature enable you to connect non-3G etc. devices to the car then the car goes out to the internet via 3G, works really well and the added bonus is that the larger electronics of the car get a better and a more consistant 3G signal. My nephews love it as they can bring there cheaper non-3G ipads and use my wi-fi hptspot to browse the web on the move and chat to there friends.

I also changed my wi-fi hotspot name to something a bit more recognisable.

Note: you can't connect your phone to both wi-fi and BT at the same time.

My car doesn't have Audi Connect, but it still braodcasts SSID over wi-fi. The manual says the MMI connect app (or UPnP server app) will allow audio over wi-fi even for non Audi Connect spec cars ?

That said I don't have an i-thingy phone or an Android so haven't managed to get it working yet.....I can connect my phone to the cars wi-fi but the car doesn't see the phone as a server...

Thanks guys,

Geoff, I don't have anywhere to put a SIM, that's why I was questioning why the WiFi network showed up. Can I share my phone SIM [keeping it in the phone] or does it need to be dedicated?

Well I had though that wifi was only available with Connect but perhaps not. If that's the case then it'll probably only work with a BT connected phone which has rSAP. Before I got a SIM in my car, the MMI wouldn't let me enable the wifi so it does imply that the internet connection must be established first.

Thanks Dippy,

I'll have a word with the guys at Audi when I'm next there