widscreen treatments

RHODIE

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the stuff from www.farecla.com? How does it rate against rain-x on new A3? Does rainx still work with aero wipers?

[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone tried the stuff from www.farecla.com? How does it rate against rain-x on new A3? Does rainx still work with aero wipers?

[/ QUOTE ]

Mate of mine used to be the IT dude at their place in Ware. He gave me a treatment /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif of the new windscreen stuff about a year ago (before it was released) and it is awesome stuff... lasted about 3 months (15,000 miles) and I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone - providing the stuff that is for sale now is the same which I am not 100% sure, but I can ask him on monday......

Edit: I didn't have aero wipers on the car so can't comment about that part

If by aero wipers you mean the new type ones, very flexible, as fitted from 2004? I have these, and hugely regretted putting rainx on my screen! They are superb wipers, but went straight to judder judder judder the moment the rainx went on.. took em off, cleaned em, put em back, no change.. bought a 'spare' set and replaced them.. no change.. tried loads of things to get the rainx off.. b***y stuff lasts for ages! I know not everyone has found this, but I have NO plans to try rainx or any equivalent again with my A4!

I put Rain-X on my A3 and want to take it off as my wipers are juddering too. Does anyone know what will remove it?

Thanks.

Right, the stuff I had before is called Farecla Rain Repellent System and can be ordered from Farecla

However, I should add that I did not have Aero wipers on the car and it would appear that windscreen treatments and Aero wipers don't mix......

Let us know if you get some and how you get on with it.......

Most of these treatments are micro-silicone emulsions AFAIK.

If you wanna remove them then put some alloy wheel cleaner on a rag and trat your windscreen. Dont get any on the paintwork or surrounding rubbers and if you do, just give it a good rinse with soapy water. Wash thoroughly after treating windscreen.

Most alloy wheel cleaners have around 2% Phos acid and 3% HCl, so not too harmful in the short term (5mins) just get it washed off!

I used rain-x and had the juddering too but it didn't last that long. However, I can't say that I found rain-x very effective, especially considering how much it cost. Maybe I didn't apply it properly?

i tried rain-x about 10 years ago and found it ok until you used the wipers at night then it was smear and glare hell

[ QUOTE ]
i tried rain-x about 10 years ago and found it ok until you used the wipers at night then it was smear and glare hell

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to say - I was very dubious about letting my mate apply a new product which was not yet released... but he kept on at me and I thought what the hell... after the application it was so much better - seriously, wipers were only really needed in heavy rain, and when passing a truck on the motorway or dual carriageway, when you drive into the cloud they chuck out the side, there was no period of low vision.

Can get a bit smeary as it starts to wear off though....

Interior treatments however IMO not worth a penny. Get up early and let the car demist with the heater/aircon.

[ QUOTE ]
I used rain-x and had the juddering too but it didn't last that long. However, I can't say that I found rain-x very effective, especially considering how much it cost. Maybe I didn't apply it properly?

[/ QUOTE ]

For rain-x to be effective you need to apply more that you think is necessary. I've used it on modern and classic cars and if you follow the instructions very carefully, being generous with the stuff, it does work well even on flat, almost upright windscreens.
You need to re-apply it every three weeks or so and it seems to work best of all on brand new screens.

To be honest, on modern cars with effective wipers it's probably not worth using but on an old car with short blades that are low and don't sweep much of the screen it's brilliant.