Wifes new A1

riggssuzuki

image.jpg
Hi all. Just purchased a 2012 A1 185 sline. Seems to have all the toys thrown at it. 18" wheels, black package, DAB radio, xenons, interior lighting pack and lots more. It's a quick wee motor! Anything to check for? Any bad experiences or good ones for that matter?

itchyhippo

I have the 185. Watch the oil consumption - lots of stories of high consumption and mines drank around 2 litres in 7 months. It's booked in for some breather mods in the next week, which Audi reckon should sort the issue. If not they said they will fit a nice new engine under warranty!

Other than that its a beaut of a car - enjoy. Just keep an eye on the oil level!!

Jenny19

Fuel and oil consumption, otherwise they are fantastic cars. I'm selling mine soon and I'll be sad to see it go

itchyhippo

+1 on the fuel consumption. On the motorway its fine - mid 40's and I've even hit 52 once, but around town - stop start driving - expect 15-20 easily.

Walter

Smart looking motor, I'm thinking of getting one myself. But 15-20 mpg... Ye gods! Is that all of them, or are you having issues?

Jenny19

I get about 25-30mpg on a start stop commute to work, about 37 average and if you are being very careful, high 40s. I'm selling mine soon if you're looking at buying one :)

itchyhippo

Once the engine has warmed you do get better MPG stop start. I got 12 today!:ohmy::ohmy::audibash:

Pulp84

Lovely car. I had a A1 185 until a few months ago when moved up to the S3.

It's a brilliant car and makes a really nice noise with the supercharger. I would get 25-28mpg having fun but 40mpg was easily achievable on a run.

Yes, when cold it DRINKS fuel. Using kick down a lot would also mean heavy fuel bills. Oddly my S3 has been better on fuel :think:

I had the oil issue I believe, but I had the breather modification and then it was fine after. Used 3 litres in the first 5000 miles and then only a litre for the next 5000. Should be easy to check with the dealer if done.

riggssuzuki

I am a little surprised at the mpg figures you guy quote. I have done real world checks (not the car read out). On a long journey 120 miles we are getting high 30s to low 40s. Zipping about town is mid 20s to mid 30s. Bear in mind she had a bmw x1 diesel and was getting roughly the same figures but maybe a little higher on long runs.
The oil consumption comes as no surprise as my 2.0 TFSI Quattro A4 drinks the stuff but 1 litre per 2000 miles is well within limits according to Audi tech.

TDI-line

Uber Post Whore
Awesome little car, but as repeated my 185BE drank oil about 4 litres in 8000 miles, miles per tank was around 250.

Also sadly the cost of the 18" tyres are a rip off in an emergency, £250 for 1 from Quick fit on a Sunday, as no spare :( .
Only one other car that uses 225 x 35 x 18" is the Corse VXR, so not a common size.

Pulp84

Awesome little car, but as repeated my 185BE drank oil about 4 litres in 8000 miles, miles per tank was around 250.

Also sadly the cost of the 18" tyres are a rip off in an emergency, £250 for 1 from Quick fit on a Sunday, as no spare :( .
Only one other car that uses 225 x 35 x 18" is the Corse VXR, so not a common size.

Yeah it's a rare size - I had a puncture once and when I went to get it replaced there were only four in the UK available. £210 and that was mates rates.

Not a big issue but something to consider if thinking of getting one.

Griffin1989

Looks great

cabbychris

Only one other car that uses 225 x 35 x 18" is the Corse VXR, so not a common size.[/QUOTE]
The smart brabus use these tyres aswell i had 1 fittted to my smart when a bolt destroyed it (yokohama)so not cheap,i got 1 fitted at troy for £158