Wifes new A1

riggssuzuki

Reaction score
Hi all. Just purchased a 2012 A1 185 sline. Seems to have all the toys thrown at it. 18" wheels, black package, DAB radio, xenons, interior lighting pack and lots more. It's a quick wee motor! Anything to check for? Any bad experiences or good ones for that matter?

Reactions: Griffin1989, Pulp84 and daydotz
I have the 185. Watch the oil consumption - lots of stories of high consumption and mines drank around 2 litres in 7 months. It's booked in for some breather mods in the next week, which Audi reckon should sort the issue. If not they said they will fit a nice new engine under warranty!

Other than that its a beaut of a car - enjoy. Just keep an eye on the oil level!!

Fuel and oil consumption, otherwise they are fantastic cars. I'm selling mine soon and I'll be sad to see it go

+1 on the fuel consumption. On the motorway its fine - mid 40's and I've even hit 52 once, but around town - stop start driving - expect 15-20 easily.

Smart looking motor, I'm thinking of getting one myself. But 15-20 mpg... Ye gods! Is that all of them, or are you having issues?

I get about 25-30mpg on a start stop commute to work, about 37 average and if you are being very careful, high 40s. I'm selling mine soon if you're looking at buying one :)

It's very sensitive to the cold! A bit like me lol

Lovely car. I had a A1 185 until a few months ago when moved up to the S3.

It's a brilliant car and makes a really nice noise with the supercharger. I would get 25-28mpg having fun but 40mpg was easily achievable on a run.

Yes, when cold it DRINKS fuel. Using kick down a lot would also mean heavy fuel bills. Oddly my S3 has been better on fuel :think:

I had the oil issue I believe, but I had the breather modification and then it was fine after. Used 3 litres in the first 5000 miles and then only a litre for the next 5000. Should be easy to check with the dealer if done.

I am a little surprised at the mpg figures you guy quote. I have done real world checks (not the car read out). On a long journey 120 miles we are getting high 30s to low 40s. Zipping about town is mid 20s to mid 30s. Bear in mind she had a bmw x1 diesel and was getting roughly the same figures but maybe a little higher on long runs.
The oil consumption comes as no surprise as my 2.0 TFSI Quattro A4 drinks the stuff but 1 litre per 2000 miles is well within limits according to Audi tech.

Awesome little car, but as repeated my 185BE drank oil about 4 litres in 8000 miles, miles per tank was around 250.

Also sadly the cost of the 18" tyres are a rip off in an emergency, £250 for 1 from Quick fit on a Sunday, as no spare :( .
Only one other car that uses 225 x 35 x 18" is the Corse VXR, so not a common size.

Awesome little car, but as repeated my 185BE drank oil about 4 litres in 8000 miles, miles per tank was around 250.

Also sadly the cost of the 18" tyres are a rip off in an emergency, £250 for 1 from Quick fit on a Sunday, as no spare :( .
Only one other car that uses 225 x 35 x 18" is the Corse VXR, so not a common size.

Yeah it's a rare size - I had a puncture once and when I went to get it replaced there were only four in the UK available. £210 and that was mates rates.

Not a big issue but something to consider if thinking of getting one.

Reactions: TDI-line
Only one other car that uses 225 x 35 x 18" is the Corse VXR, so not a common size.[/QUOTE]
The smart brabus use these tyres aswell i had 1 fittted to my smart when a bolt destroyed it (yokohama)so not cheap,i got 1 fitted at troy for £158