Will 8J wide alloys fit my 8V?

A3Kent

Reaction score
Hi guys, haven't posted on here for a long time! Hope everyone is well.

Does anyone know if 8j wide alloys fit a 2014 Audi A3 8V S-Line? From factory the A3 and S3 have 7.5J.

The reason i ask is that i had a an 8P before and found that 8j wide alloys on that rubbed on the rear wheel arches when going over bumps etc.

I have no spacers or other similar mods

Cheers

Last edited:
Im running 19"x8.5j on, I believe, S-line suspension, no problems

Reactions: A3Kent and Rob2k68
Yes should be fine just be mindful of the offset which is stated as the ET number typically around 49-51. The lower the number the closer they will be the the wheelarch and furthest away from the hub.

Reactions: pburv and A3Kent
Thanks guys, they are ET46's? @Rob2k68

They are off an A3 Cabriolet 8V as they seem to be standard fit on the Cabriolet & Saloon.

Reactions: Rob2k68
Thanks guys, they are ET46's? @Rob2k68

They are off an A3 Cabriolet 8V as they seem to be standard fit on the Cabriolet & Saloon.
You're welcome.

That should be fine ;o)

Assuming you have 7.5J ET51 an 8J ET46 will stick out a further 11.4mm so very similar to fitting 10mm spacers.

Cabriolet and saloon has wider tyre coverage (wings are wider) so that makes sense.

Thanks for this, very useful.

I'm still concerned that I'll get them rubbing in the back wheel arches when going over bumps etc..

S-Line suspension as well

Thanks for this, very useful.

I'm still concerned that I'll get them rubbing in the back wheel arches when going over bumps etc..

S-Line suspension as well

Try and place a tape measure or a piece of wood or something vertically against the tyre and then measure the width to the body side wheel arch eyebrow - might help put your mind at rest. Mine with original wheels were a good distance away and looked slightly under wheeled made more obvious after it was lowered.

Just placed a ruler on the rear wheel and let it hang up inside the wheel arch. Looked like almost 20mm of clearance perhaps so if you think its 11.4mm extra it'll be ok. I guess i'll only be able to tell by getting them on to have a look

If that was from the edge of the alloy then the tapered profile of the tyre will buy a few mm as will the rotating suspension travel rather than a vertical movement.

8j's on mine off an a3 sedan. no rubbing at all, even with 5 people and luggage. Stance is much improved and the deeper wheels look meaner than the 7.5.
IMG 3125

Reactions: pburv, Rob2k68 and A3Kent
8j's on mine off an a3 sedan. no rubbing at all, even with 5 people and luggage. Stance is much improved and the deeper wheels look meaner than the 7.5.View attachment 92799

Spot on, that's exactly the same way as i'm going, same wheels too (off an A3 Cab) :) Only difference is mines a Sportback, not sure that should make any difference. Is that S-Line suspension @maxwell90 ?

Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: pburv and Rob2k68
Spot on, that's exactly the same way as i'm going, same wheels too (off an A3 Cab) :) Only difference is mines a Sportback, not sure that should make any difference. Is that S-Line suspension @maxwell90 ?

Thanks

I'm not 100% (been trying to figure it out myself) but think it's sport going off some others a3 hatches that look lower. The rim is 8j yet it still has a 225 tyre from factory (same as 7.5j) on it so there's a slight stretch to the tyre which would further reduce the risk of any rub.

Reactions: pburv, Rob2k68 and A3Kent
I'm not 100% (been trying to figure it out myself) but think it's sport going off some others a3 hatches that look lower. The rim is 8j yet it still has a 225 tyre from factory (same as 7.5j) on it so there's a slight stretch to the tyre which would further reduce the risk of any rub.

Does it not say on the PR code list if you tap it into this - http://prsearch.planetvag.com/ Code list can be found in your handbook or boot well. This will give you all the options your car has.

Yes i noticed that the tyre size is exactly the same as the 7.5j. It says so on the configurator as well. So as you say does stretch the tyre and reduce the risk of rub which helps

Reactions: pburv and Rob2k68
Took some pics. They definitely look meaner/better. :)

IMG 5220IMG 5222IMG 5223IMG 5224IMG 5226

Reactions: batch, maxwell90, pburv and 1 other person
8j's on mine off an a3 sedan. no rubbing at all, even with 5 people and luggage. Stance is much improved and the deeper wheels look meaner than the 7.5.

absolutely agree about the 7.5 looking too narrow on the S3 SB - especially since the sedans do get 8' rims.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and A3Kent
absolutely agree about the 7.5 looking too narrow on the S3 SB - especially since the sedans do get 8' rims.

You say that but as mentioned above, the Sedan and Cabrio have wider wheel arches so they are probably similarly narrow looking

I agree. Quite possibly in order to allow for the fitment of snow chains.

Reactions: A3Kent
You say that but as mentioned above, the Sedan and Cabrio have wider wheel arches so they are probably similarly narrow looking
I'd be quite happy if Audi put 8.5" on all the S3s ...

Reactions: A3Kent and Rob2k68
Well, after getting all 4 alloys refurbed i managed to get them on over the weekend....

20160703 080801565 iOS 20160703 080814773 iOS 20160703 080827513 iOS

Really happy with them! :happy:

Easier to clean as well!

I also like the look of standard 8j 5-parallel-spoke’ design alloy wheels from Saloon / cabrio. Always stop and admire then on parked A3`s!. They are slightly dished and have much more presence..

I had my first proper drive on the wheels last night and had the inflation tyre warning come up on the dash. I pulled over and checked them all and if anything they had increased by one or two PSI apart from one which had lost 1 PSI.

I'm no expert on wheels and tyres, remember these wheels had been refurbed a couple of weeks ago, the tyres were all used with about 4/5mm of tread on them so were fine. Maybe the tyres take a bit of time to settle down once they've been fitted to an alloy?

Any ideas?

Probably worth storing tyre pressures in the MMI next time the tyres are cold.

Tread depth should match side to side otherwise the ABS rotation sensor will detect a difference and interpret that as pressure loss.

Reactions: Daytonapig and pburv