Facelift Will PFL Sportback Door Cards fit FL Saloon?

Spinstorm

Reaction score
I am keen on adding stitching and aluminum inlays to my doors and I have found a booming market for interiors on eBay (not really sure how entire interiors are available to buy but anyway not the point of this post!

I have hunted down a PFL Sportback 4 doors and center console.

There are two parts to this question... would the entitre door cards just fit from the PFL to FL? (I am guessing the front doors will be fine but would the rear?)

And if not would just the handles and inlays be the same?

The only issue I can see with the console is the USB which I don’t have in the middle but I don’t see why I couldn’t come up with a way to fill that gap... (Even if its fitting a blank USB not connected to anything else).

Will my plan work?

On the Alu inlays did the PFL have the lights in the doors trim too? (Like the FL).

I am keen on adding stitching and aluminum inlays to my doors and I have found a booming market for interiors on eBay (not really sure how entire interiors are available to buy but anyway not the point of this post!

There are two parts to this question... would the entitre door cards just fit from the PFL to FL? (I am guessing the front doors will be fine but would the rear?)

The only issue I can see with the console is the USB which I don’t have in the middle but I don’t see why I couldn’t come up with a way to fill that gap... (Even if its fitting a blank USB not connected to anything else).

Will my plan work?

On the Alu inlays did the PFL have the lights in the doors trim too? (Like the FL).

Can’t answer about the shape of the doorcards but with the amount of changes, I’d be surprised if it was a straight swap.

PFL to FL will be the same, but you have the Saloon as you’ve pointed out.

Handles and Inlays will always be the same, but it’s a question of whether the Saloon Inlays are longer than the Sportbacks.

I wouldn’t be keen having to cut out to get to the USB’s, but could be an easy job if you have a plan. But, I don’t see why the armrest itself won’t bolt on/off without the trim.

Nope none of the PFL had interior lighting trims, this is why there was so much controversy over the FL lighting, they advertised it with the PFL but nothing ever materialised.

The price I agreed even if only the front door armrests fit it’s worth it.

If I find the rear does then even better; we will see about the centre console. If I can just take out the side Alcantara part and swap it even better. But as I said considering the cost of the arm rests are around £600 for four I’m paying half that for 4 doors and the console.

Reactions: AudiNutta
The price I agreed even if only the front door armrests fit it’s worth it.

If I find the rear does then even better; we will see about the centre console. If I can just take out the side Alcantara part and swap it even better. But as I said considering the cost of the arm rests are around £600 for four I’m paying half that for 4 doors and the console.

That is a very good deal, can’t fault it.

I’d say chances are all 4 armrests will fit.

@AudiNutta @DJAlix (if you have any insight here) I have it. Surprisingly the rear sportback door cards are exactly the same as the saloon; however the door cards don’t have B&O speakers so it will be a case of removing the arm rests. I’m kind of disappointed In how they feel - bit rubbery to me. I don’t see any point in messing with the trim as it doesn’t have the lights and I don’t have the front trim so it seems like a handles off the doors and onto mine job.

The centre console is slightly damaged on one side (seemingly where it was taken out the previous car) also it has the MMI connection in the arm rest section. The question I have is: can you remove just the Alcantara part and then remove the plastic part from the existing centre console.

It looks to me on cursory darkness time glance that the Alcantara is glued on which would mean probably not - but does anyone have my parts diagrams of this area?

I’ll take some photos in the day when I get them out. What it does mean I have right now is 4 spare RS3 door handles at least which sell are worth £200 which is almost as much as I paid for the doors.

Last edited:
It looks like the outside of the handle may pop off looking at the diagram! Have to look properly...

The console however appears to be one part so I’ll just have to buy a RS3 console if I decide I want it.

Attachments

• 936A29C7-B3F7-4B39-BFF1-02530C7C2F8E.png
    936A29C7-B3F7-4B39-BFF1-02530C7C2F8E.png
    170 KB · Views: 210
  • 5989538F-B067-47B7-A704-1F52C7A1AA3D.png
    5989538F-B067-47B7-A704-1F52C7A1AA3D.png
    150.4 KB · Views: 215
The alcantara on the centre console is glued on. I tried prying it off but too much glue. I was thinking I could just use doubled sided 3M tape to put it on my centre console but I cant see a way to get it off - except a heat gun which I don't have and which could damage the material.

Hi mate, just to confirm (if I’m reading this correctly). Spootback rear door cards fit a saloon?

I’m considering upgrading to some cards with B&O if I can find a set.

Hi mate, just to confirm (if I’m reading this correctly). Spootback rear door cards fit a saloon?

I’m considering upgrading to some cards with B&O if I can find a set.

Yes - strangely they do appear to be exactly the same shape and will fit.

Handles and inlays are an easy retrofit - the repair process to replace handles according to the Audi service manual is to melt the heat stakes and refit the new handle with self tapping screws .

The inlays are bolts and spring clips so straight forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: jaysrs4 and T-800
Handles and inlays are an easy retrofit - the repair process to replace handles according to the Audi service manual is to melt the heat stakes and refit the new handle with self tapping screws .

The inlays are bolts and spring clips so straight forward.

Agreed Rob.

Handles are pretty straight forward once you understand the Welds/rivets/screws

Lot of plastic welds on these door cards now.

I bought a plastic welder and a selection of ABS / PVC etc rods.
Always comes in handy as does the Dremel.

Reactions: Rob2k68
Agreed Rob.

Handles are pretty straight forward once you understand the Welds/rivets/screws

Lot of plastic welds on these door cards now.

I bought a plastic welder and a selection of ABS / PVC etc rods.
Always comes in handy as does the Dremel.

Twice now I’ve popped a door card off and there’s been a stubborn clip that’s stayed in and the plastic heat stake has pulled through that holds the plastic clip tower onto the main door card substrate.

That’s when as you say the plastic welder and glue gun comes in handy - also useful for making Easter bonnets LoL !!!

Reactions: T-800
Twice now I’ve popped a door card off and there’s been a stubborn clip that’s stayed in and the plastic heat stake has pulled through that holds the plastic clip tower onto the main door card substrate.

That’s when as you say the plastic welder and glue gun comes in handy - also useful for making Easter bonnets LoL !!!

I think some of the plastic becomes brittle in the cold too Rob.

I had a corner one crack on my PFL car luckily I had already bought the welder and plastic rods.

Thanks for the input fellas. Keeping my eye out for some now.

Will my plan work?

Hi so did you ever find out if the hatchback door cards ever fit in the saloon as I am looking to buy some for mine

I didn't bother in the end; I didn't have the skill or knowledge to swap them myself and I didn't want to pay a garage to do it just to add some stitching to the door handles.

Hi
Saloon door cards fit the 5 door sportback. I've swapped a set from a saloon to my sportback.
Hey 1664 Hatter, so the saloon door cards 100% straight fit into the sportback? about to get an RS3 saloon ones for my sportback but heard from few people that they don´t

Thanks!