Will your 8v fit in your 8 foot wide garage??

JimboS3

Reaction score
As title, can you park your car in your 8ft garage and still get in and out comfortably without knocking doors or scuffing your seats...
I'm currently looking for a new house and keeping my 8v garaged is a must!
Unfortunately a house with a double garage is going to be out of my budget in the area And the single garages are all 8ft wide or smaller.
Any pics or answers would be great.

Is your car a 3 or 5 door, usually the doors on 3 door cars are longer so more difficult to open wider to gain entry. Not sure if this is the case on the A3 but worth checking. Usually a well placed piece of carpet or similar on the wall will save any marks on the door just in case.

Reactions: JimboS3
So I have 2 garages, one at home and one at work and it fits in both just. I have previously owned, 2 A1s and an S1, plus numerous other superminis including fiesta, Corsa etc. The 5 door is too long as I have some racking at the bottom and the 3 door being shorter does actually fit just with about 1 foot space at the front before the racking and about 3 inches at the back. The issue in getting out is the supporting pillars half way down as its a single skin garage - the A3 is only 40mm wider than an A1 but the length means I have to park further forward so the door can't open as wide as on the A1 so I do have to 'wipe' myself down side of car to get out.

I have to park car about 3 inches off wall on passenger side so I bought a Convex parking mirror off Amazon for about £15 and fixed up on the wall high up and angled so I can see down side of car. I have put red paint on wall to align with mirrors when I park so I can see when I need to stop.

The major difference with the A3 is I have to use the folding mirrors to get through the door easily so I would recommend buying the electric folding mirrors.

Hope this helps but yes it does fit if you get the 3 Door and is useable but look where the pillars are in the garage as these will be the biggest pain, without them it would be dead easy !

As above, mine fits in fine but i do use the folding mirror trick to get through the door. I also put a few bits of cardboard on the wall so i don't scuff the door on the wall.

Thanks for the replies, it's a sport back. I can't see length being a problem though. And there are no pillars.
I was just a little worried after googling and finding people can't fit their average sized car in their std 8ft garage. I have an rs3 on order and it would kill me if when it turns up that it won't fit, there's no way it's sitting outside.

A sportback will fit in a standard garage no problem without folding the mirrors in, whether you can actually get in and out of the car is the challenge but that's mostly down to how many pies you've been eating...

Top tip - in my previous house, I fixed pipe lagging to the garage wall so I could open the door against it with impunity!

Top tip - in my previous house, I fixed pipe lagging to the garage wall so I could open the door against it with impunity!
I have an old bit of foam carpet underlay on mine, also works great!

My own garage is 2.520m wide but the door opening is only 2.100m wide. I can get my Sportback into the garage by just clearing the mirror on the passenger side. I have some foam on the pillar mid way down the garage and a piece of timber fixed to the floor to get the correct place to stop. I am quite lucky because the garage is attached to the house and when I first moved in when it was new I had a door cut between the house and the garage and the recess created is just where the drivers door opens. I have pipe insulation foam attached to the edge of the recess so that they is not chance of damage to the car door.

The Saloon is LONG and just fits in my garage (with some shelves at the back).
Folding mirrors is a must as it takes away the worry when you back-up through the entrance.

Foam pipe lagging also No Nails'd to the wall so that the door has no danger of scrapping the wall.

If the Saloon fits then the SB will.

I reverse mine into the garage at an angle then straighten up, ending with me parked no more than a couple of inches from the wall on the passenger side, but sufficient room to open the driver's door and get out without resorting to yoga. I don't bother folding the mirrors in as they don't actually protude much further than the sides of the car at it's widest point.

Thanks for the replies, it's a sport back. I can't see length being a problem though. And there are no pillars.
I was just a little worried after googling and finding people can't fit their average sized car in their std 8ft garage. I have an rs3 on order and it would kill me if when it turns up that it won't fit, there's no way it's sitting outside.

Well my nice dealer took my S1 in 2 weeks before my S3 arrived and loaned me a 3dr A3 for the duration till my new motor arrived. This way I had plenty of practice with their car getting in and out of my garage before my car arrived. Worth trying to borrow from your dealer and try same if you can .... you can then measure all up and be ready for when your pride and joy arrives !

In a last house and before children so last time I had a usable garage to park the car in I attached a length of string to the roof with a tuned length of string onto which went though a tennis ball. I'd drive the car forward until I'd nudge the tennis ball with the windscreen. Doesn't help width wise but thought I'd share.

Reason for this was to not damage the fireblade I had parked at 90 degrees in front of the car. Fun times !!

Cars have grown in size with each new model unfortunately not our garages. Looking around new builds these days the garages are no more than sheds maybe the car just fits but opening the doors and getting out is another thing. Whilst having a moan how about the bay widths in multi-storey car park etc..........

In a last house and before children so last time I had a usable garage to park the car in I attached a length of string to the roof with a tuned length of string onto which went though a tennis ball. I'd drive the car forward until I'd nudge the tennis ball with the windscreen. Doesn't help width wise but thought I'd share.

Reason for this was to not damage the fireblade I had parked at 90 degrees in front of the car. Fun times !!
I do the same for my wife's car. Works really well. For mine I use the front parking sensors and that is fine as well. But I do have a bit of carpet on the back wall as well - just in case!

Reactions: Rob2k68