Wind noise from drivers window

T

Tristan2

Just noticed this from speeds 60 and above,from the drivers window,anybody else had this problem
Looks like a dealer visit

Reactions: TDI-line
I thought is was just meee!

Reactions: Tristan2 and TDI-line
Nope very quiet, perhaps a door or window seal has mis-fitted...

Reactions: Justo-S3
I've had this since new, and lived with it for 2 1/2 years, never think about it driving round town, then do a long distance and there it is. Oh well, it will be handed back soon for another one.

Anybody had this fixed by the dealer,is this common?

I have this as well, would interested to hear if anyone has had a successful fix from Audi

Have this on my saloon, always think the window hasn't went all the way up properly

If you push out on the glass whilst driving (carefully) does it go away ?

How's the general fit of the door are the feature lines lining up and the black B post finisher at the front door flush to the rear door ?

Taping up joints from outside the car (need two people or do this yourself then get in through the passenger side) is commonly used to identify the source of any air leaks/wind noise - use a tape that won't leave a residue behind though electrical insulation tape is pretty good for this.

Reactions: RAF_S7, SW14NY'S and pburv
This issues has existed on every 8P I have ever had, A3,S3,RS3, I'm a bit gutted to read this as I have an 8V on the way to me now and I was hoping this would have been solved! Grrrr!

Never took them back. That's the downside of doing mods, too much hassle to go back to standard for a minor issue.

Reactions: Rob2k68
"Yes Sir, we've resolved the wind noise issue from the front door. Oh, and we noticed you've modified the ECU software during our regular software update, have a free TD1 on us."

Can be a common problem, probably a door seal. My left rear window seems to be generating some wind noise so I'm getting that checked out next week.

I will probably get mine booked in next week for them to have a look at it, really starting to annoy me.

Hmmm my A3 8V TDI has NO wind noise in any of the windows!. Must be an S3 thing ?

Mine is going in on Thursday to have it investigated, if it gets sorted I will put the fix here

Mine has no unnecessary wind noise at any speed

Last edited:
Well surprise, surprise. Audi have told me the wind noise is normal, however they have agreed that it is quite loud so they are sending a report to Audi to find out if there are any recommended fixes.

I have ordered a set of the new wind deflectors to see if this makes any difference, I like the look of them anyway.

Well surprise, surprise. Audi have told me the wind noise is normal, however they have agreed that it is quite loud so they are sending a report to Audi to find out if there are any recommended fixes.

I have ordered a set of the new wind deflectors to see if this makes any difference, I like the look of them anyway.

Chris, from experience this will only make matters worse....especially if you ever remove the deflectors, as the the way they are fitted they widen the rubber seal between the door window and its seal, over a prolonged amount of time will become permanent and so much worse.

Dito took mine last night to Audi went out for a test drive and he could hear the noise both sides, he said TT is a lot worse.

No sound from mine either at any speed. It's certainly not normal and I wouldn't take Audi's response at face value.

If it was normal then I'm sure one of the many reviews of the A3 would've picked up on it - and none I've read mention wind noise.

Reactions: Simon L and Rob2k68
Dito took mine last night to Audi went out for a test drive and he could hear the noise both sides, he said TT is a lot worse.

The TT door is frameless and therefore bound to be worse he's not comparing apples with apples - lame excuse !!

Reactions: Ignition1, Simon L and SW14NY'S
Anybody had a successful fix on this,as my local dealer has no clue what's causing this

I'm going to try a different dealer to try and fix this,it's ****** annoying

Anybody had a successful fix on this,as my local dealer has no clue what's causing this

If you get a fix I would love to hear what it is, we only have one Audi dealer in Northern Ireland so I don't have the option to try elsewhere

Getting this on mine as well, looks like no point in me reporting this to Audi Belfast as they told you yours was normal.

Would love to turn up together and report the same problem, it's really ******* me off

I have the same issue, and a few rattles/cracks from dashboard when cold, but have always just done the quick fix... turn the radio up! (If you can't hear it, is it really there? )

Did anyone ever get to the bottom of this? i can here a little wind noise at "motorway" speeds, i cant hear anything when in the passenger seat so it seems odd that it's always the drivers side?

No
But dealer does recognise there is a difference between driver and passenger sides

interesting. just out of interest how intrusive is the noise at 60 in your experience? can it be heard over the hum of the aircon for example?

I started experiencing this about a month ago after 2 years of no issues. Only at 65+ coming from windscreen more passenger side. Quite high pitched so could be heard over music.

Had windscreen replaced by autoglass about 11 months ago so logged as warranty issue with them.

Senior tech visited and went for a drive, agreed could be windscreen and would replace to be sure. He took the old one off. Slight bubble in adhesive but not all the way through.

After replacement it was reduced but not gone so thought it had been that. But now seems to come and go so thinking unlinked...

Surprised no garage has suggested an odourless smoke machine similar to how they test for boost leaks or water leaks in the cabin just by filling it up with smoke and looking for where any seals may be breached by the smoke escaping.

in my case i don't think the seals on the door are dodgy. I'm wondering if it's some weird aerodynamics thing that effects the A3?