Wind noise from drivers window

But it has come back after you cleaned those seals??

Im from Poland so i bought our product which is called " SILICON FOR CARS SEALS" in english :D
U can buy it in ever motorshop here and its pretty cheap ( sth about £2)

I personally haven't cleaned them but have had the TPI carried out by a Dealer to try and solve the problem they fixed it bit so it didn't happen till the national limit but it is now back at 60mph.....

Google rubber rejuvenator. I’ve used lots of different ones in the past for old cars but essentially they are all a type of white silicon grease. Been using carpro Perl on all the rubbers and tyres on mine recently to keep them shiny and soft. Seems to work but it’s a new car so don’t expect it to be bad. Remember a lot of car washes and snow foam can strip the oils from rubber seals which makes them dry up so the seal won’t seal properly and you get leaks or wind noise.

Google rubber rejuvenator. I’ve used lots of different ones in the past for old cars but essentially they are all a type of white silicon grease. Been using carpro Perl on all the rubbers and tyres on mine recently to keep them shiny and soft. Seems to work but it’s a new car so don’t expect it to be bad. Remember a lot of car washes and snow foam can strip the oils from rubber seals which makes them dry up so the seal won’t seal properly and you get leaks or wind noise.

This is pretty much the last thing on my list of things I could do to make a difference! I have a some gummi pfledge and I think I have some white silicon grease so I will treat the seals when I get chance. I feel like I have narrowed it to the window seal where it closes at the top ( as I have tried adding additional seals to the door with no difference), off the top of my head I cant think how ill apply the lube to that type of seal.. anyone done this before? any tips before I make a mess?!!

This is pretty much the last thing on my list of things I could do to make a difference! I have a some gummi pfledge and I think I have some white silicon grease so I will treat the seals when I get chance. I feel like I have narrowed it to the window seal where it closes at the top ( as I have tried adding additional seals to the door with no difference), off the top of my head I cant think how ill apply the lube to that type of seal.. anyone done this before? any tips before I make a mess?!!

I always just work it in with a cloth till it’s clear otherwise you get greasy windows.

Has anyone tried installing wind deflectors to resolve it?

Or maybe a better question... does anyone have wind deflectors installed and still has the noticeable wind noise?

Has anyone tried installing wind deflectors to resolve it?

Or maybe a better question... does anyone have wind deflectors installed and still has the noticeable wind noise?

With my wind deflectors it's very prominent, can't recall having it on day I picked up mine and deflectors were put on soon after so not tested it without for long. Taking mine off to see if issue dissappears as it sounds like the window isn't shut fully.

The noise as been there from day 1 on my car, I bought and installed genuine Audi wind deflectors and they made no difference at all.

Mine is also fine until you are travelling at 60mph +, there is no wind noise below this speed.

I also have the issue on my 2016 S3 very annoying. I haven't been able to get rid of it.
It's definitely the door seal and not the window seal.

Has anyone found a solution to this?

I noticed this first but didn’t say anything to my partner who also drives the vehicle. When she was driving I noticed her trying to put the window up a couple times, which is exactly how I first found it, almost like the window isn’t fully up. Took it to Audi and they say they can’t hear anything, assure me the seals are fine and window is alligned properly. It’s absaloutely there and it’s really softening my enjoyment of the car and I think it’s getting worse.

Think my next step may be to go test drive another one and compare it just to make sure I’m not imagining it.

Has anyone found a solution to this?

I noticed this first but didn’t say anything to my partner who also drives the vehicle. When she was driving I noticed her trying to put the window up a couple times, which is exactly how I first found it, almost like the window isn’t fully up. Took it to Audi and they say they can’t hear anything, assure me the seals are fine and window is alligned properly. It’s absaloutely there and it’s really softening my enjoyment of the car and I think it’s getting worse.

Think my next step may be to go test drive another one and compare it just to make sure I’m not imagining it.

Not to dishearten you but I returned my S3 on Wednesday after 3 years of ownership and in that time Audi were never able to fix this problem. They started off saying they couldn’t hear it, they eventually agreed it was there but then said it was a “characteristic” of the car.

Thanks for getting back to me Chris4410, that's pretty poor. Do you mind my asking if it was there from the day you bought the car or if it was something that begun happening?

Edit: Never mind, just seen your post above. Mines noticeable below 60 unfortunately.

Last edited:
Thanks for getting back to me Chris4410, that's pretty poor. Do you mind my asking if it was there from the day you bought the car or if it was something that begun happening?

Edit: Never mind, just seen your post above. Mines noticeable below 60 unfortunately.

If the car is under warranty then push for them to do something about as it has definitely been recognised as issue by Audi.

As above mine was more at 60mph plus. The car went in and they did something with it, seemed to make a slight difference but didn't resolve it all together.

If yours is at low speeds I'd say it will definitely be improved.

Mine was definitely there from day one, but unlike yours I have no wind noise below 60mph.

However as soon as you hit 60mph it was like the window was partly down. It was definitely something relating to the window or door seal and the passenger side didn't have the same problem.

Thanks both for your responses. I’ll try another dealer and if not see if I can push it through Audi U.K(??) as it still is under warranty.

Cheers,

Chris

Reactions: Chris4410
Hi pachaTC been nightshift last 3 nights will get few pictures for you monday show you how reduced noise from 60mph to 80mph now still working on a pernement fix speak soon

All,

Just tried to upload a copy of Technical Product Information 2047728/2 but for whatever reason it will not post?

I have it in .pdf format which it says is acceptable but if anyone wants a copy just pm me and I will do my best to see if I can get it over to them.

PS Apologies for the tardy reply on this, couldn't lay my hands on the paperwork!!

Attachments

• S3 TPI.pdf
    196.2 KB · Views: 1,044
Reactions: Lhasa2008
Thanks, I'm taking mine in soon for a infotainment security recall soon so maybe I'll try to get the wind noise fixed as well.

Thanks a lot for this. Is this the type of thing I can ring up my local dealer and say that I've had in at Audi before (albeit a different dealer) and give the I.D of the document, what's the process here?

My problem is away after taking wind deflecters off had noise at 40mph now you need to be doing 90+mph to hear the normal wind noise a had tryed everything from tape full door to glue dots a think the wind deflecters were not sitting right as had it from 1 window then took them off put back on had it from other side good luck guys a fell your pain

Just joined forum and note all you guys with same problem. Mine is on a 6 year old A5 Coupe but wind noise coming from passenger door side as if window is not fully closed. Got the car yesterday and didn't notice it on the test drive as that day was wet so plenty of 'wet' noise that day screening the now obvious problem. Drivers door side is perfectly insulated but passenger side is really cheesing me off. Was from an independent dealer who seems willing to help but I'm about to start my own crusade with Audi as you guys. Any further input or solutions to this please ?

Just joined forum and note all you guys with same problem. Mine is on a 6 year old A5 Coupe but wind noise coming from passenger door side as if window is not fully closed. Got the car yesterday and didn't notice it on the test drive as that day was wet so plenty of 'wet' noise that day screening the now obvious problem. Drivers door side is perfectly insulated but passenger side is really cheesing me off. Was from an independent dealer who seems willing to help but I'm about to start my own crusade with Audi as you guys. Any further input or solutions to this please ?
not seen it mentioned on this post but found it elsewhere, I had the same problem with my 2015 s3 with both windows and was advised to wind the window halfway down and lift it from one side at a time you will feel it move maybe a 1/4" which doesn't take much force then wind window back up and hey presto it fixed mine, been fine for months now. something to do with the window dropping down somehow and this resets it . worth a go as it costs you nothing

Reactions: Lhasa2008 and AlS3BE
Bumpity bump

Did anyone find a solution for this? When going 70+ in my 2018 RS3 saloon, not only is it NOISY on both driver and passenger windows (wind) but you can actually feel cold air if you put your finger tips to the top of the door frame.

I can't see a gap but it smacks of the window being like a milimeter too low or something. Really ******* annoying on the motorway.

So I have noticed this, mine does it around 50mph and 70mph on the drivers side. I cannot say wether its from the front or the back of the car. a very slight hum. At first I thought it was a wheel bearing but had Audi have a look at it and said the wheel bearings are fine. I thought it maybe the wind going round the wing mirror.

Bumpity bump

Did anyone find a solution for this? When going 70+ in my 2018 RS3 saloon, not only is it NOISY on both driver and passenger windows (wind) but you can actually feel cold air if you put your finger tips to the top of the door frame.

I can't see a gap but it smacks of the window being like a milimeter too low or something. Really ******* annoying on the motorway.
Mine is exactly the same as this, cold air and all.

Had it 'fixed' under warranty which improved it slightly for a period of time.

I only really notice it on very windy days or if I have the music on quiet so I just put up with it.

I may try the gummi pflege as others have mentioned as I have some for my partner's TT to stop the windows freezing shut.

Mine is exactly the same as this, cold air and all.

Had it 'fixed' under warranty which improved it slightly for a period of time.

I only really notice it on very windy days or if I have the music on quiet so I just put up with it.

I may try the gummi pflege as others have mentioned as I have some for my partner's TT to stop the windows freezing shut.
The fact you can feel cold air from outside suggests the window/seal incidence angle is just crap, or even the door/body seal. I might get some foam strips and try to track down where the pressure differential actually comes from.

The fact you can feel cold air from outside suggests the window/seal incidence angle is just ****, or even the door/body seal. I might get some foam strips and try to track down where the pressure differential actually comes from.
Also, probably unrelated but kinda the same but anyone feel the draft of cold air coming from the gearstick/centre column when turning a corner?

Bumpity bump

I could never feel a draft coming in, it was just the noise. It was never resolved by Audi even though they acknowledged they could hear the same level of noise and said it was excessive. When they couldn’t fix it, it turned into a “feature“ of the car and was down to the shape of the car and position of the wing mirrors, I pointed out that the car was the same shape on both sides and had the same wing mirrors on both sides but only had the noise on the drivers side, but they couldn’t come up with an answer for this. I gave up in the end.

It is not door but windscreen has been refitted poorly... Same I have ... So I sticked 5mm wide foam gasket around top and on sides and no wind noise anymore

I replaced the window regulator at the weekend and when i put it all back together i noticed i had this wind noise at 60mph+ , i have noticed the top of the frame by the B post is sticking out slightly.......i have read somewhere that there is a adjustment screw in the door .....there must be a simple explaination as it wasnt there before i did the work......its a 08 TDI A3..............i did see that there are adjustment bolts/screws at the bottom of the door on TTs...to adjust the height of the glass.......... i have a feeling the adjustment thing is a 30 torx near the hinge side of the door...... will keep informed as too cold to fk about with cars today.

I replaced the window regulator at the weekend and when i put it all back together i noticed i had this wind noise at 60mph+ , i have noticed the top of the frame by the B post is sticking out slightly.......i have read somewhere that there is a adjustment screw in the door .....there must be a simple explaination as it wasnt there before i did the work......its a 08 TDI A3..............i did see that there are adjustment bolts/screws at the bottom of the door on TTs...to adjust the height of the glass.......... i have a feeling the adjustment thing is a 30 torx near the hinge side of the door...... will keep informed as too cold to fk about with cars today.
Loosen the bolts for the regulator/ frame frame, overly extend it towards the car and have someone hold it there whilst you tighten the bolts.

wgen you close the door it will move back sufficiently

got a feeling that this was the bolt used to adjust the frame.....you remove the bolt and adjust the part the bolt goes into using an allen key.......havent tried it yet but this was on a utube video i watched and was only fleetingly mentioned.....but surely Audi techs would know this??? .........dont shoot me if i'm wrong tho :flushed:

Attachments

• window.jpg
    window.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 139
Loosen the bolts for the regulator/ frame frame, overly extend it towards the car and have someone hold it there whilst you tighten the bolts.

wgen you close the door it will move back sufficiently
good idea.....will try that as well..........just gotta get in the mood to take it apart again ........was a bit of a pain in the ####

I've had the whistling issue on Transhit vans. The wind pressure distorts the door slab and bends the top outwards. I'd have thought that Audi would have better build quality but it was just a thought.

sorry i didnt get back earlier as been fkin about with my car for months on other issues..... the wind noise problem.....i adjusted that screw i showed above and it fixed the problem,i think i loosened slightly a few screws that hold the regulator to give it a bit of movement......anyway i hope this helps :thumbs up:

Since a couple of weeks I notice wind noise (speeds above ~50mph) from the location/red arrow in my attached photos. Drove my facelift A3 E-Tron since 2018 and it always was completely silent... What could be wrong? Is this the same problem as mentioned in the TPI? Are TPI's free on a 2017 A3 without warranty? What can I do myself?

Attachments

• IMG20220923173455__01.jpg
    IMG20220923173455__01.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 93
  • IMG20220923173616__01.jpg
    IMG20220923173616__01.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 93
I've read the TPI and this is exactly my problem. I tried to tilt the window angle backwards while slowly closing the window, and because of the better tilted end position the wind noise almost completely disappeared. Until I automatically open and close my driver side window again...
The pictures in the pdf in this topic aren't detailed/sharp enough. I can't find out what is seen in picture 2.
Is there a better pdf/better copy?

Hope to do the needed work, mentioned in the TPI myself, because I'm out of warranty and I think TPI's aren't free ...