Window Pinch Protection - Problem/Fault

DyslexicDog

Reaction score
Here's an interesting problem:

Car:
A4 B9 Avant 2019, 2.5k miles

Setting the scene: All window switches have two positions, manual close/open or auto close/open.

I have found that the offside rear window will not close using the auto position (unless it has then 1" left to travel). It will close and then reopen again, as if something is in the way.

To successfully close, you have to use the manual close position or use auto close until it reaches less then 1" from closure, cancel the closing and then manually close using the manual switch position.

This is a new problem and it didn't exist last week. I have it booked into the service center but that's in the first week of August. So here I am seeing if anyone has seen this issue before...

No faults are registered and the window moves and sounds the same as the other 3 in the car.

:)

All fixed - car went into the garage and the window modules were updated. Seems like it may be a known issue.

All in it was about 2 hours work.

This thread can be closed.

I have this exact same issue, also on a 2019 A4 B9 Avant. Rear passenger side window bounces back down on comfort close. Can also get it nearly closed and then have to do it on single press to get it fully closed.

Even then, despite no wind noise from the window at motorway speeds, the MFD efficiency tips advise me to clise all windows with the aircon on.

Looks like I'll have to book mine in.

My car went in this evening to get this fixed tomorrow.

I mentioned in passing that I'd seen this issue on this forum and a window module software update was applied. The Audi guy said Forums were full of cranks spreading false fixes for the hell of it. :glee:

I also mentioned the slight wind noise I have from the drivers door. He seemed quite dismissive. I said I don't have wind noise on the wife's 1 year old Polo GTI so it shouldn't be there on a 1 year old A4. At that point he said they were massively busy so he might only get the windows looked at.

I also mentioned the huge delay on the S-Tronic gearbox in getting full engagement of first from a standstill. I asked whether it was a characteristic of the box and said I don't experience a delay like that on our DSG VWs. He scoffed that the S-Tronic was completely different to the DSG and superior in every way (I concede that my longitudinally set up A4 has a slightly different layout of the twin clutch/mechatronics unit with wet clutches than my transverse mounted Polo GTI 6 speed wet clutch DSG, but they are the same tech, working in the same way and the A3's "S-Tronic" is the same as the Golf/Polo's DSG, albeit the facelift MK7.5 Golf R got the newer 7 speed variant).

He was quite aggressive in asking if the car had been modified. I said not to my knowledge, as I bought it 10 months old, but what mods would affect the windows or drivers door wind noise?

If I get the car back tomorrow I'll be lucky to have the rear window looked at.

Cranks? Hahah!

Tell him to fix the problem and you don’t care whether a software update fixes it, you just want it fixed.

To be fair, I’d be using a different Audi garage, I can’t stand rude staff.

I’m unaware how modifications could impact the window functions with the problem you’re facing. Mine was fixed with software, I suspect yours will be too.

Trouble is, Lookers group has the monopoly on Audi in the North East. At least when I was buying VWs I could go to Pulman (Sunderland and Durham).

Lookers (formerly Benfield/Colebrooke and Burgess or "C0ck-up and Bodge-it" as we used to refer to them as) have always had terrible service around Newcastle, both for servicing/warranty and bodyshop repairs (last time I used them they resprayed the front bumper of my Holf R and didn't reconnect the headlight washers so I was hemorrhaging washer fluid).

When I sold the wife's A1 back to them, the finance guy (who reminded me of the Gestapo guy in Raiders of the Lost Ark) messed me about, delaying payment for 7 days, which messed up my funding for the car replacing it.

This happens to me, but only sometimes. Rear passenger window.

If I open the window and attempt to close it more than 50% of the way, it will bounce back down. The only way to close it when this happens is to push the window to rotate it back upwards. Then close the window a bit more. Then push it again. Repeat.

I believe the window might have actually come off the runners. I'll get a video if I remember next time.

It's odd that it only happens sometimes.

Picked up my car today and the guy I spoke to hadn't graduated from the same charm school as the guy who took my keys last night. He seemed quite canny.

My window issue is fixed.The window modules didn't know where top and bottom of the travel were and had to be reprogrammed (the TPI software update mentioned here that the other guy scoffed at the suggestion of).

They looked into the slight wind noise coming from my drivers side door and said they'd took 2 other A4 Avants out and said they sounded the same. Attributed it to wind buffeting of the wing mirrors. To be fair, the wind noise is slight, I just expected to have none when the wife'sPolo GTI+ has none and is 60% of the RRP of the A4.

For the delayed 1st gear full engagement from a standstill, they checked that the gearbox software was as new as it could be (it is).

Their only suggestion was to run it in Dynamic rather than Eco. I've not noticed an appreciable difference between the 2, only when in full manual.

They did have advisories on the video lookaround of the car - wipers front and back, more so the back - hard to believe the rear wipe is shot on a 1 year old car for the amount of use it will have had. I ordered a full set of Bosch Aerotwin wiper blades from ebay as the OEM Valeo wipers that VW give are crap and I assume the same is true for Audi.

The rears are down to 3.0mm and they wanted to replace. I declined, i'll put some Michelin PS4s on from Costco in the near future.

The issue has resurfaced for me, however, this time it’s on the passenger window.

I left it open last night, luckily it was a dry night and the car is fine.

I’ll be ringing the garage today to get it resolved and turning off comfort close for the time being to reduce the risk of having open windows all night.

What a pain!

Hope you get it sorted bud. What about your gearbox? You found it to be better? You should see if they could reset it for you to go into learning mode. Re learn. Not sure of the terminology but give that a go.

Hope you get it sorted bud. What about your gearbox? You found it to be better? You should see if they could reset it for you to go into learning mode. Re learn. Not sure of the terminology but give that a go.
Car went in. It already has the latest software so no updates. Therefore, they greased the rails, reset the controller calibrations and cleaned the channels but because it won't demonstrate the fault on command, they were powerless to help any further. They did suggest this should fix it.

They mentioned some faults in the window controller relating to the indicators, audi rings and additional warning lights I have. They wondered if that might be causing the issue.

Interestingly, the Audi rings are genuine and can be spec'd from factory, so I wasn't buying that story. The other bits are fair game - we agreed that if the issues pops up again, I would put that door back to factory (20 minutes work) and send it back to them. It's logged under the warranty period so I should have no issues claiming when it's factory spec.

The gearbox wasn't my issue.

We shall see.

So the issue resurfaced and with a video of the issue, I am now booked in for a new new door control module on order.

With the TSR and a reverse camera fitted post build, to avoid any issues I will be removing the fuse for the reverse camera - I do not want to risk loosing my reverse camera features.
For the TSR the long coding is able to be re-added. The software flashed onto the camera was present last time they hooked up my car for the door module updates in Aug 2020 and it wasn't removed so I'm hoping this won't be a new risk.

Once replaced, I'll feedback my findings.