Window Tinting/Privacy Glass

simondavidr

Reaction score
Can anyone recomend somebody in the south who is GOOD at window tinting?? Also any approx costs would be great. I have heard some horror stories and don't want to get caught up in that - i would like a smoke tint all round.

Any pics or examples of work would be great.

Cheers

BigT /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif

BIGT, I got a tug of the V.I (Vehicle inspectorate) a couple of weeks ago. Said the tints were illegal and they are probably the lightest I've seen. Drop glass tints need to be no more than 70% and as for the nack glass, you can make them as dark as you like but be wary as they are clamping down. Bummer.

Cost, a friend of mine works for Tint Huas in Edinburgh so got it for £100 but the norm is around £170~£200.

Good luck!

look at the pentagon site, tinted glass forward of the b post is now illegal and they are taking it off.

Got mine done at Tint Haus in Aberdeen. Medium smoke all round. I'll be posting pics up soon!

Yup, I saw a VOSA news letter on the matter too. Police will be stopping vehicles and checking the VLT (I assume that is different to VPL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif) It says it is also illegal for a company who fit the film to fit a tint that is over 70% on sides, 75% on the windscreen unless vehicle 1st used before 1985 in which it is 70%, to either a display car or customers cars and that said company would be charged.

If you put a tint on the rear screen and rear windows (not the front passenger and driver windows).........your should be fine with the police, but would you need to declare it to the insurance company? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Any tinting film as of 1st January 2004 forward of the B-pillar is illegal.

Some legal stuff for you:

The Motor Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 outline various offences relating to the glass and vision of drivers as follows:

Regulation 30 - a driver is required to have a full view of the road and traffic ahead whilst controlling the vehicle and all glass or other transparent material fitted to the vehicle must be maintained in such a condition that it does not obscure the vision of the driver.

Regulation 31 - specifies that all glass fitted to motor vehicles must be safety glass and either laminated or toughened. Perspex or other plastic material which does not fracture in to dangerous pieces can be used, but only from the 'B' pillar rearwards (rear side windows, and rear window).

Regulation 32 - requires windows to be of safety glass, but 32(10) specifies minimum light transmission values which are:
<ul type="square">[*]for motor vehicles first used before 1 April 1985, all windows must allow 70% of light to be transmitted through.
[*]for motor vehicles first used after 1 April 1985, windscreens/windshields must allow 75% of light to be transmitted through, and all other windows 70%.
[/list]
On 1 January 2004, amendments to the regulations were introduced stating:

Paragraphs (10) and (11) have effect in relation to any tint, film, or other substance or material applied to a windscreen or window as they have in effect in relation to the windscreen or window itself.

Regulation 32(10) does not apply to the rear side windows and the rear window, since the driver does not look through them at the road ahead.

Its all confusing stuff isn't it!! Sounds like i may not get my light smoke all round or is there a new 'UNDERWORLD' tinting scene??

BigT

Whats the standard tinting on the A3/s3?
Find out what this is % wise then do the math with light smoke etc